Veera, Ratree Agree To Seek Royal Pardon From Cambodian King

webfact

Veera, Ratree agree to seek royal pardon

By The Nation

med_gallery_327_1086_9865.jpg

Highprofile nationalist activist Veera Somkwamkid has given up trying to fight his case in Cambodian courts and has agreed to seek a royal pardon, a source at the Foreign Ministry said yesterday.

On February 1, Veera and his aide, Ratree Pipatanapaiboon, were sentenced to eight and six years in jail respectively. They were arrested along with five other Thai nationals, including Democrat lawmaker Panich Viketsreth, on December 29 while they were inspecting the disputed border area near Sa Kaew province's Ban Nong Chan village.

Veera had initially vowed to keep fighting until the end, because he insisted that Cambodia had no authority to try him, since he said he had been arrested on Thai territory.

However, the Foreign Ministry has been trying to get Veera and Ratree to accept the verdict and seek a royal pardon from the Cambodian king.

The two activists have 30 days from the day of the verdict to make the appeal, and sources say they have signed the petition. Their lawyer and the Thai Embassy in Phnom Penh will start the process soon, the source said.

Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen had said earlier that the activists could not seek a royal pardon until they had served twothirds of their term.

Veera's brother Preecha said he and the rest of the family had not been informed of the new development, adding that their request to see him last Sunday had been rejected.

"We don't know about his decision and the Foreign Ministry's moves to help him," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-02-26

Veera had initially vowed to keep fighting until the end, because he insisted that Cambodia had no authority to try him, since he said he had been arrested on Thai territory.

I guess a shower incident must have made him change his mind and seek a Royal pardon. He should serve his time like every other criminal scumbag.

Dont know how much that will help them.

If what I read is correct the Cambodian king has little or no power and is only there with the blessing of Hun Sen and must do as he is told.

However it could be a way out for Hun Sen if he really dosent want to keep them and would lose face letting them go any other way.

Veera Signs Petition for Royal Pardon

Secretary to the foreign minister Chawanont Intarakomalsut affirms Veera Somkwamkid has signed a petition for royal pardon and the pardon is being processed by the Royal Thai Embassy in Phnom Penh. Relatives of Veera say he cited health reasons for the royal pardon.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-02-26

footer_n.gif

If what I read is correct the Cambodian king has little or no power and is only there with the blessing of Hun Sen and must do as he is told.

However it could be a way out for Hun Sen if he really dosent want to keep them and would lose face letting them go any other way.

Actually Veera may be more valuable to Cambodia if released. It would seem clumsy to use Veera's incarceration as a bargaining chip with Thailand, especially if it was perceived to be so to any outside mediators. Perhaps better to release Veera as it would in effect be taking the moral high ground and would also make PAD look pretty stupid trying to remove Veera's counsel should the legal advice of the counsel secure Veera's release. PAD would no doubt conclude a pardon was an admission of no sovereignty over the area, but if Veera appeals to the Cambodian sovereign he would tacitly be accepting Cambodian sovereignty over the disputed land.

He's asking for a royal pardon with a bad attitude. Secondly, if he does that, he is contradicting his own claim that he was on Thai soil when arrested. Bad position he is in, really. Just swallow your pride,Veera, and the rest of thailand's pride, and suffer the consequences. When the time is served, Thailand will still welcome you back with open arms. Just do something right for a change. After you come back, and if you still find your way back into the prisons of the Khmer, then you should really consider whether you want to be here or there, you numbskull !!!!:crazy:

He was clearly in the wrong and acting like a fool... but it's pretty obvious that the charges have been trumped up and used as an excuse to incarcerate him for a long time. He should have been charged and should have received punishment, but not for something he didn't do. Seems for some people though that is of no importance.

Veera and the yellows/nationalists, like the reds hoped this year to push the army and government in a particular direction ahead of any election. The army had a little fight with the Cambodians and now it is finished and things have to be tidied up. These guys have no intention of being incarcerated long-term as heroes for the cause and he will most likely have been told to do the right thing or be abandoned to his fate. That they pushed the red agenda off the front page is about the only success they can claim and the reds are not amused as they wish to be considered the only show in town. Well they aren't. There are two sets of clowns.

Veera and the yellows/nationalists, like the reds hoped this year to push the army and government in a particular direction ahead of any election. The army had a little fight with the Cambodians and now it is finished and things have to be tidied up. These guys have no intention of being incarcerated long-term as heroes for the cause and he will most likely have been told to do the right thing or be abandoned to his fate. That they pushed the red agenda off the front page is about the only success they can claim and the reds are not amused as they wish to be considered the only show in town. Well they aren't. There are two sets of clowns.

Or perhaps one set of clowns and one set of jokers.

Wait I thought the TPN fired his lawyers for just mentioning this path???? Oh wait they can't, and the TPN isn't actually in danger of dropping the soap and getting reamed, so Ratree is taking his only shot...Hope it fails for a few more years at least.

Edited by animatic

Amazing what a few days in jail can do.

From Martyr to suck holing scumbag.

A few more years in Jail and he might actually learn some thing.

Now that I think of it with that kind of logic it would be for his own good.

Sounds like a great idea to me. Where else can you get free room and board and a education.:cheesy:

Can't beleive how many antie thai comments from a website for people that chose to live in Thailand rarther than Cambodia. Even it is true and they were spying. U tell me how many countries in the world do not have spys. It is part of protecting their own country.

They got caught. Thailand should apologies then do something to compensate then on your way. U r telling me that cambodia and Burmies and Loas people don't take the piss in Thailand . if they had there way then there would be not Thailand.

Dream on !!! u lot !

Edited by BigC

Can't beleive how many antie thai comments from a website for people that chose to live in Thailand rarther than Cambodia. Even it is true and they were spying. U tell me how many countries in the world do not have spys. It is part of protecting their own country.

They got caught. Thailand should apologies then do something to compensate then on your way. U r telling me that cambodia and Burmies and Loas people don't take the piss in Thailand . if they had there way then there would be not Thailand.

Dream on !!! u lot !

For a start BigC I cant work out how you see my post as anti Thai.

However you seem to be under the impression that they were spying for the Thai Govt.

Could not be farther from the truth.

They went there as part of the yellow shirt mob of loonies and If I read correctly at the time were warned by the Govt not to go.

They were caught in Cambodian teritory, Vera phoned home and said they were, they got arrested and were charged and found guilty and jailed.

Whether the charges were correct or not is another thing.

This has absolutely nothing to do with us so it is all hot air and wasted electrons. Amongst those most closely involved are the good folks of Sa Kaeo, Buriram, Surin and Sri Sa Ket. Maybe one of those renowned independent Thai polls be taken amongst those people about where this vainglorious warrior and his gofer should rest their heads. I suggest that one of the options should be 'the block'.

Didn't take the duo long to go for the, ''creeps of the week,'' prize did it.

What price ones principle?

Following in the footsteps of their enemy Thaksin , no principles, only money and power motivation driven motives.