Renting A Motor Bike Surathanni

Anyone done this?

I have a friend on KP who needs to do a border run next weekend, without taking a mini or VIP bus.... .

Knowing you can't take a rented bike off the island, he's wondering if possible to rent a larger bike in Donsak or Surranthani and to a border run to either Malaysia or Burma..(Raynong???) and be able to make stops on the way..... He knows you cannot take a bike across the border, just wants to get there... & do the walk across into Malaysia (Penang side crossing) or boat crossing in to Burma... (perhaps there are inter Provincial restrictions too, about taking rented bikes over provincial borders? ) I believe there may be a group of them planning on doing this?

Have warned about the $20.00 US bill, into Burma...

I know from making the trip south, that there are some great places to stop & see, but buses won't even stop for a "pee break" ! :angry:

Any useful suggestions appreciated....

Good point, Poorsucker, about the passport,, although photocopy should work? I guess that depends on the shop... I used to do that.

Joe, thanks too, but these are "tourists" here for 4 months doing Yoga training....

I had thought about them using a car too, if several go that could be a good option, to cut their limited budgets!

They are looking for higher CC than say, Honda Click (seems to be the most common rented out bikes) I have one & not sure that I would want to do a long run like that one it! ;)

What would be the going rate for a larger bike (s)?

I would guess much more than 150 baht a day for a Click,. which is what i paid on KP yesterday.....

Jimmy if the guy is a friend of yours and you can vouch for him I can lend him a Cagiva 150 for the run down there ? Not the fastest bike in the world but good on gas and will go all day long without a hiccup. Its is a nice ride down to the border especially if you take the coast road down to hat Yai. As said as long as the guy isn't in any great hurry to get there it will be no sweat. just let me know :D

Jimmy if the guy is a friend of yours and you can vouch for him I can lend him a Cagiva 150 for the run down there ? Not the fastest bike in the world but good on gas and will go all day long without a hiccup. Its is a nice ride down to the border especially if you take the coast road down to hat Yai. As said as long as the guy isn't in any great hurry to get there it will be no sweat. just let me know :D

Thanks Dunc., & others with positive posts :)

Yes. I have known this guy for years, sensible, honest type... His problem is no phone, & no internet at the Yoga Centre where they are staying in the jungle near Haad Salad KP, their courses seem to run day & evening....... but he should contact me Wednesday,,,

However I think from what he said yesterday, there are several needing to do this visa run, so more than one bike required,,, unless the car / truck rental route is considered...

I agree about the coast Road route to Hat Yai, one day I tell you how to find Thali Noi Lake, one of the most incredible areas in Thailand for scenery,,,, sorry to digress off subject... ! ;)

one of my first solo driving trips to the sadao border, i continued driving straight over that new bridge south of nakhon si thammarat and ended up taking the coast road. was a bit of a hassle at first because i tend to drive fast but it certainly was scenic in places, including the lake and temple.

the only way is to borrow or rent off a mate. I don't think that a private rental company would be happy to let u leave the island without a pssport because they have no protection if anything goes wrong. i probably should not say this so if u get caught then it is your own fault but u could rent a bike with a friends passport then just go and hope for the best but if the rent company gets suspicious then they might report the bike stolen and u could get nicked.

u can rent cars from national or inernation car companies like avis and budget with just a credit card. though they are quite expensive but at least they are inssured i think 5000 baht acccess but if u pay a few hundrd baht on top then u can have no access.

anyway u have probably done the run by now. so good luck!

Good point, Poorsucker, about the passport,, although photocopy should work? I guess that depends on the shop... I used to do that.

Joe, thanks too, but these are "tourists" here for 4 months doing Yoga training....

I had thought about them using a car too, if several go that could be a good option, to cut their limited budgets!

They are looking for higher CC than say, Honda Click (seems to be the most common rented out bikes) I have one & not sure that I would want to do a long run like that one it! ;)

What would be the going rate for a larger bike (s)?

I would guess much more than 150 baht a day for a Click,. which is what i paid on KP yesterday.....

i am sorry but i have to notice this from the leasee point of view. A photo copy of a passport is not enough to stop ssomeone totally smashing up your bike then running away.

the only other way is a cash depsosit the same amount of a brand new bike.

I know this is not 100 per cent proffessional and u could not do this in the West but we are not in the west. It basically mieans that u if u do not have a credit card u can stilll easilty rent a bike.

then people always also have to option to not rent the bike at all if they don't like the deal but once the deal is done they cannot complain. just drive safely and try to look after it to make sure that it does not get nicked!

Edited by BigC

if there are a few of you budget car rental is good and safer. insurance 4 wheels. if the not have in kp book with budget surrat, get bus to surat and they will pick you up at bus station and take you to rental place. until i bought a car thats what we always did and split cost 4 ways.

would not worry to much about scenery, you will be to busy looking for on coming trucks, bikes, cars and cattle coming towards you in your lane. i hated it.

if there are a few of you budget car rental is good and safer. insurance 4 wheels. if the not have in kp book with budget surrat, get bus to surat and they will pick you up at bus station and take you to rental place. until i bought a car thats what we always did and split cost 4 ways.

would not worry to much about scenery, you will be to busy looking for on coming trucks, bikes, cars and cattle coming towards you in your lane. i hated it.

there are loads of national car rental firms in samui

If you rent Avis, Budget etc., why not rent from Samui airport , i did for trip to Krabi, no problems and insurance is covered.