Pinguy Linux

thaimite

I have just seen this review of the Pinguy OS which is an enhanced version of Ubuntu

Pinguy OS is a remastered Ubuntu with a lot of useful default applications - great for those who don't like to do a lot of tweaking and want an OS that "just works". Pinguy OS doesn't rebrand Ubuntu, so you'll have the same Plymouth theme, the Ubuntu logo for the menu and so on. It's just Ubuntu with a lot of default applications and PPAs enabled by default

:

I have read several reviews of Pinguy, and they are all very positive. For those wishing to move from Windows (or Mac) to Linux, this seems to be the best distro for newcomers.

Has anybody here any experience of it?

^ Agreed -- Linux Mint rocks. :thumbsup:

Have to disagree. Mint is Ubuntu with some tuning and preinstalled codecs.

On a Mint thread in of their forums mint users actually thought the unhyped

Fuduntu was better. After trying it have to agree. I have used both mint and Fuduntu extensively and Mint

, like Ubuntu, will eventually thrash - in simple language the ui becomes unresponsive after extended moderate activity - which is

simply not acceptable for a deesktop OS.

In contrast the Fedora based Fuduntu is stable, fast and flexible. Another distro -possibly even better than Fuduntu - is Kororaa linux, another

Fedora spin. Both are fine tuned for desktop usage and have almost the same packages as Ubuntu.

These underrated distros are worth a try

for anyone not satisfied with their linux system.

Edited by BugJackBaron

^ Have you tried Mint "Debian"?

It's better than any Ubuntu-based distro; at least in my limited experience.

I did try it a few months ago/. It is based on the unstable branch of debian and

even something as simple as telnet is impossible to get working(do a search on their forums).

I think the reason Mint didn't switch to it as a base is because it's simply too buggy)

I would retry it if they switch to Debian Squeeze.

Can't use Telnet? No big deal. And yes, I'm sure there are plenty of bugs -- I just haven't ran into any serious ones yet. For me, LMDE has been rock solid so far.

No big Deal?

It means for one thing any on-line game server that uses telnet - and there are many - Is completely unusable to the end user.

freechess.org for on-line chess is used by millions for example.. There are also legacy systems that researchers use via telnet protocol.

This is a "feature" not seen on any most linux or other desktop systems. For a server this does not matter of course and may even be the preffered option.

Most would call it a showstopper for a desktop though.

A broken Telnet doesn't mean the end of the world, not for your average *nix user anyhow. Even though I do not fall into that category, I rarely use Telnet. In case you haven't noticed, quite a few things are broken in LMDE -- VLC is another one. LMDE is a work in progress; I'm sure the Telnet issue will be fixed soon enough.

BTW, I don't think online game servers will be rushing to migrate to a relatively new and unproven distro such as LMDE. Like I said, there's plenty of work still to be done.

A broken Telnet doesn't mean the end of the world, not for your average *nix user anyhow. Even though I do not fall into that category, I rarely use Telnet. In case you haven't noticed, quite a few things are broken in LMDE -- VLC is another one. LMDE is a work in progress; I'm sure the Telnet issue will be fixed soon enough.

BTW, I don't think online game servers will be rushing to migrate to a relatively new and unproven distro such as LMDE. Like I said, there's plenty of work still to be done.

I never said it meant the end of the world but I don't think you understand how freechess and similar sites work.

Basically they are servers for chess or go or whatever and you connect to them via a client. For freechess.org there are many (free) ones.

At last 4 for unix/linux(jin, xboard, eboard) and many windows ones will work under wine.

So it is not a case of online game servers migrating to anything. Their code base is old and solid and you could(unlike flash based sites like yahoochess)

connect to them via a dumb terminal and play with an ascii generated board. Of course this is not optimal so people write graphical clients to provide

a nice experience.

It is more the case of clients being ported to work with linux or OS X or whatever.

Many use java to do that as the language is cross platform.

The servers themselves will work with any OS that supports telnet.

And from people I've talked to Squeeze supports telnet and probably has fixes for VLC as well

so that would be the logical choice for LMDE to switch to eventually.

I never said it meant the end of the world but I don't think you understand how freechess and similar sites work.

Perhaps I misunderstood your other post.

But you're right -- my knowledge in that particular area is 'limited'.