Any Wifi - Experts

erre191

Hi- Any experts with ideas? I need to get WIFI access to a 9 story building, 20 m wide. This needs to be done from the outside via WIFI access points, that projects/transmits the signal to the condos/windows.

The problem is that we only have about 8 m distance from the building to install these transmitters. It was no problem in the front where we installed about 30m from the building and the angle/signal covers all floors easily.

Is there any special product/antenna with a very wide angle to get all the way to the 9th. floor? Any ideas? Thank you.

Edited by erre191

From my understanding of the problem, you need to get a reliable signal into the 9 story building, which is also 20M wide, but can only set the AP back 8M from the building.

In order to get a reliable signal over that distance, through a window (possibly tinted), you will need either gain antenna or 'signal booster' / amplifier

The other issue you face is to getting coverage for 9 stories from one antenna - some of the signal will be directed to the ceiling unless you can elevate the AP to the same height as the windows (on each story of the target building)

I suspect you will need multipl AP's (MIMO type) with gain antenna, plus some means to elevate some AP's, or look at a method installing the AP in the building.

I setup my building with all dd-wrt routers, daisy chained from the main router downstairs. The reason why I have two here, is that one is a VPN connecting router, the other just regular Thai Internet. I did that on every floor.

room02.jpg

I guess I could have bridged it but I have not played with that setting yet, and I wanted to keep it simple.

If I understand you right, you want the routers on the outside? With weather and all, probably not a good idea. You can contact Bill from Sabaii Tech from the links on this page

http://www.strongvpn.com/routers.shtml

Very helpful and probably knows how to pull this off.

What ever you think of, please think twice if you think about engaging Kirz in Pattaya.

They offer systems for your building...........

Example Vale Casa along Naklua Road: accessible for only THB 999 per month; speed 1.5 MB; going on and off.

Service is excellent: phone and within the hour they're there, but performance is bad!!