Thailand Stalls On Temple Visitors

webfact

Thailand stalls on temple visitors

By SUPALAK GANJANAKHUNDEE

THE NATION

The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation (Unesco) is prepared to send its experts to evaluate the Hindu temple of Preah Vihear as soon as Indonesian observers arrive at the disputed border area, but Thailand remains without a clear plan on when to allow the observers in.

Unesco special envoy Koichiro Matsuura was in Phnom Penh yesterday after his visit to Bangkok over the weekend for discussions with authorities in both countries on the world heritage-listed temple.

Cambodia reported to the UN cultural body that the 900-year-old sandstone temple was partly damaged during a border skirmish between Thai and Cambodian troops on February 4-7, which also claimed at least 10 lives including three civilians on both sides.

During a meeting with Cambodian Deputy Prime Minister Sok An, Matsuura said that as soon as Indonesian observers arrived at the border-disputed area, Unesco would send experts to evaluate the |damage.

"Urgent restoration on the temple will be conducted after the evaluation of the damage and Unesco will send experts to restore the temple," Matsuura was quoted as saying by Xinhua, adding that "Unesco will not be involved in the border issue, but [only] the temple".

Sok An reportedly informed the Unesco special envoy about serious damage to the temple caused by 414 mortar and artillery shells falling on the site. "Cambodia has to publicise this information to the international communities," he said.

Thailand previously told Unesco it did not want the UN body to inspect the temple now since the situation at the border was still tense.

The Hindu temple was ruled by the International Court of Justice in 1962 as standing on territory under Cambodian sovereignty. Thailand, however, has claimed the surrounding area of 4.6 square kilometres to be under its sovereignty.

The Preah Vihear Temple was listed a world heritage site in July 2008, but Thailand has blocked the world heritage committee's consideration of its management plan because of the boundary conflict.

Bangkok wanted Unesco to suspend the management plan until the dispute with Cambodia was settled.

Although Jakarta wants to dispatch observers to the disputed area early, it is still unclear when they will arrive at the border as the role of the mission has not yet been fully agreed to by the two conflicting parties.

Thailand will not allow Indonesian observers to have full access to the disputed border areas near Preah Vihear, Army Chief Prayuth Chan-ocha said yesterday.

"I personally think there should be a classification of areas for access," Prayut told reporters. "We would allow them to see only the outside of the disputed area."

Thailand and Cambodia, during an informal meeting of Asean foreign ministers in Jakarta last week, agreed to allow observers from Indonesia to monitor a permanent cease-fire between them.

The Thai foreign and defence ministries so far have not reached common ground on the observers' roles.

Prayut said procedure for their visit should be discussed by the military-run Thailand-Cambodia General Border Committee (GBC), but the date for a GBC meeting was unknown.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-03-01

Thailand only want things to be done their way, no disscussion is allowed....period!! I don't see any good reason why a neutral observer is needed if Thailand ia allowed to act like a stupid spoiled child. The UN should warn Thailand of their act, but which I doubt UN would. What is Thailand afraid of?? What are they trying to hide from the rest of the world??

Was in Phnom Penh over the weekend and emotions are running very high over the Preah Vihear temple issue.

I find many of the local Khmers far more informed and balanced on the issue than most of the Thais with supposedly superior education I have spoken to. Spoke to a Cambodian journalist on Sunday and he summed up the problems very accurately and briefly. Unfortunately forum rules will prevent me posting his argument and his take on the situation.

What's the point having neutral observers if you won't allow them free reign to observe? And if the damage to the temple is superficial as Thailand claim then what is the objection to allowing UNESCO to at least inspect the site?

It would seem that after bending over backwards in accomodating the colonial French and then aquiescing to the ICJ decision without so much as an appeal Thailand are now in bellicose mood decades too late.

'Steely Dan' timestamp='1298967787' post='4251203']

What's the point having neutral observers if you won't allow them free reign to observe? And if the damage to the temple is superficial as Thailand claim then what is the objection to allowing UNESCO to at least inspect the site?

It would seem that after bending over backwards in accomodating the colonial French and then aquiescing to the ICJ decision without so much as an appeal Thailand are now in bellicose mood decades too late.

The temple itself is not in contention , nor is the ' Surounding land ' as noted , it is a mere 4.6 acres adjacent to the entry stairway that all of this rediculous hullabaloo is raging about , land that has been shared/used for generations by citizens of both nations in a peacefull manner . Thai truly believe they are the be all and end all in this easily solved dispute , they need only to cease looking back over shoulders at history and bring things to a peacefull settlement in todays light of day , benificial to all concerned .

Thailand is making it clear to Cambodia and the rest of the world that they donot go by rules. They do what they want, as they want ,when they want and there is no need to argue they willnot listen to reason.

They willnot quit till they wear everyone down and get their way. They are single minded and are impossible to deal with. Reminds me of a debate course I once took. The course principle was, never debate, only deny and refuse and stop all progress till others just give up. Cambodias only real chance is a war plain and simple. Which is something I would hate to see happen.

Thailand is making it clear to Cambodia and the rest of the world that they donot go by rules. They do what they want, as they want ,when they want and there is no need to argue they willnot listen to reason.

They willnot quit till they wear everyone down and get their way. They are single minded and are impossible to deal with. Reminds me of a debate course I once took. The course principle was, never debate, only deny and refuse and stop all progress till others just give up. Cambodias only real chance is a war plain and simple. Which is something I would hate to see happen.

Bullseye! You have it in one. No explicit ceasefire, no mediation, no UNESCO inspection. If you try to negotiate you end up in a Kafkaesque infinite loop which only ends when everyone has given up to Thailand's view, died of old age or reached the statute of limitations. The Saudis know this only too well attempting to have stolen royal jewellery returned as do the relatives of countless foreigners murdered in Thailand.

I do hope Cambodia unilaterally plough ahead with developing the temple, otherwise it may double it's age before it finally becomes a tourist attraction.

Was in Phnom Penh over the weekend and emotions are running very high over the Preah Vihear temple issue.

I find many of the local Khmers far more informed and balanced on the issue than most of the Thais with supposedly superior education I have spoken to. Spoke to a Cambodian journalist on Sunday and he summed up the problems very accurately and briefly. Unfortunately forum rules will prevent me posting his argument and his take on the situation.

I'm a bit puzzled by this. With all the good and bad stuff I've seen, I would have thought the opinion of even a Cambodian reporter would be welcomed. Helps the diversity of views, opens the mind, etc. Unless the Royal House is involved, or it's a touch of the defamation (or explicitly mentiones the un-mentional other English newspaper).

Don't hold back, give us at least a brief resume, dear OK

I was in Phnom Penh and Siem Reap last week and virtually nobody showed any real interest.

The Cambodians seemed genuinely more interested in the tourist Dollar than talking about Preah Vihear.

Even when I declared the fact that I lived in Thailand only one restauranteur had anything to say about the border conflict.

I was in Phnom Penh and Siem Reap last week and virtually nobody showed any real interest.

The Cambodians seemed genuinely more interested in the tourist Dollar than talking about Preah Vihear.

Even when I declared the fact that I lived in Thailand only one restauranteur had anything to say about the border conflict.

As some here will probably tell you, you must have been talking to the wrong people :D

Edited by rubl

Don't know how Thailand can do that? The temple is controlled by Cambodia and they can invite anyone to visit. :ermm:

The temple is virtually an island in Thailand - which illustrates how stupid the ICJ ruling was.

Don't know how Thailand can do that? The temple is controlled by Cambodia and they can invite anyone to visit. :ermm:

The temple is virtually an island in Thailand - which illustrates how stupid the ICJ ruling was.

FYI there is an access road from the Cambodian side and the temple is in Cambodian control.