Comp Wont Read Sd Cards

haveaniceday

Got this whiz bang new ASUS notebook, I am trying to down load pics off a SD card, via a common card reader. I have used it in many machines before and never had an issue.

I have the little sliding 'tab' on the SD card set in the right position so that it can be read ok on my other computer.

At first it was saying it can't find a device driver, now it ask nothing. Just doesn't recognise. I get the little beep when I plug the usb in though. AS annoying as it it that it doesn't read a simple storage device, I know it probably just a simple setting some where, and be finger trouble on my end, maybe I am just incompetent !!! I live in hope.whistling.gif

Any tips would be very help full thanks. rolleyes.gif

Most laptops now have an inbuilt SD card reader. My Asus has one at the front. Try a different USB socket as sometimes I have trouble with certain sockets not reading my camera when I connect it but switching to another works fine.

At first it was saying it can't find a device driver, now it ask nothing. Just doesn't recognise.

Try a different USB port as suggested.

Follow these instructions to identify the device and obtain proper drivers.

1. Open Windows Device Manager

2. Look for 'Unknown Device' and double click on it

(If you don't see any, right click on any device and click Scan for hardware changes)

3. Click the Details tab

4. Use the pull down menu and select Device Instance Id;

You should see something like this:

PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8168&SUBSYS_E0001458&REV_01\4&345CAFAF&0&00E4

5. Make a note of the items in RED; you can ignore the rest

6. Visit http://www.pcidatabase.com/

Using the Device Id above as an example, tells us that the 'Unknown Device' is actually Realtek (0x10EC) PCIe Gigabit Ethernet Family Controller (0x8168).

With this bit of information, go to the hardware vendors website and see if you can get the drivers there. If all else fails, Google it.

Edited by Supernova

If the above advice doesn't work, then try DELETING the device from the Device Manager (Yes, I said delete).

Then reboot the computer (with the device attached).  Upon rebooting, windoze should 'Find New Hardware' and install the drivers for it.  Maybe, that will fix it.  Sometimes that strategy works, and sometimes it doesn't.

Good luck.

This might be easier than you think.

A brand new notebook won't have the device drivers from that SD reader installed.

You didn't say, but is this a win7 machine?

If so, make sure you're connected to the internet, plug in your SD reader with an SD card installed, and wait..

Wait for it to come up and tell you it's installed the drivers and its ready to use. This will happen in almost all cases if you wait. But, it won't happen if you're not connected to the internet and the required driver isn't part of the default set. And it often takes a while.

Before you go disabling your USB ports, try testing them with another USB device. If the other device (hard drive, printer, thumb drive, etc) works then there's nothing wrong with the USB port.

If all of the above doesn't work, is it possible this card reader was working on XP machines and you're now on a win7 machine? It might be an older SD reader. If this is the case you can try checking the SD readers website for a firmware upgrade..