Saudi Arabia bans all protests

News_Editor

Saudi Arabia bans all protests

2011-03-05 23:13:08 GMT+7 (ICT)

JEDDAH (BNO NEWS) -- Saudi Arabia has banned all protests and marches, the interior ministry issued a statement on Saturday.

"Laws and regulations in the Kingdom prohibit all kinds of demonstrations, marches and sit-in protests, as well as calling for them, as they go against the principles of Shariah and Saudi customs and traditions," the ministry said in its statement, as reported by Arab News.

It added that security forces would use all measures to prevent any attempt to disrupt public order.

The ban follows a series of protests by the Shia population in the past weeks that demanded the release of political prisoners. A Facebook group has also been calling for a protest on March 11 to demand political reforms, the release of political prisoners, and greater freedoms, according to media reports.

Last month, after an absence of several months due to illness, King Abdullah announced the eleventh decree which granted rights and financial benefits for citizens; including a compensation of between $16,000 to $26,600 for employees in case of death, disability or handicap that prevents them from continue working. After returning from Casablanca, Morocco, he added that state employees will be given a 15 percent pay rise and earmarked $10.7 billion to Saudi Arabia's development fund which grants loans to citizens for opening small businesses, acquiring a residence or getting married.

The royal Al Saud family has ruled Saudi Arabia for the last 60 years. King Abdullah is the 13th son of King Abdulaziz and came to power in 2005 after the death of King Fahd.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-03-05

Strange, why can Saudi do what China and Libya etc can not without violating "human rights"?

What do you say?

Tiger

What same things are they doing?

Seriously, WHAT things are they doing that's the same? Something more specific than "violating human rights".

Edited by koheesti

Strange, why can Saudi do what China and Libya etc can not without violating "human rights"?

What do you say?

Tiger

They don't.

There are no "human rights" issues then the country produces huge amount of oil. It is that simple. The US (I am American) sold it's soul to the Saudis a long, long time ago. All in the name of cheap oil (once upon a time). We stand up the them very, very little, even though they are on of the most despotic, corrupt, and hypocritical regimes ever seen during our lifetimes. The royal family is not exactly a beacon of progress, and everyone knows where the troublemakers get most of their funding, despite what these goons say in public. Another reason for alternative energy? I drive a motor scooter, and every time I fill up the tank, and spend my 150 baht, to drive the next 200km, I feel like I am sticking my foot all the way up Abdullah's ass. It is a very, very nice feeling.

What do you say?

Tiger

They don't.

There are no "human rights" issues then the country produces huge amount of oil. It is that simple. The US (I am American) sold it's soul to the Saudis a long, long time ago. All in the name of cheap oil (once upon a time). We stand up the them very, very little, even though they are on of the most despotic, corrupt, and hypocritical regimes ever seen during our lifetimes. The royal family is not exactly a beacon of progress, and everyone knows where the troublemakers get most of their funding, despite what these goons say in public. Another reason for alternative energy? I drive a motor scooter, and every time I fill up the tank, and spend my 150 baht, to drive the next 200km, I feel like I am sticking my foot all the way up Abdullah's ass. It is a very, very nice feeling.

Friends that live and work there say they're (work force/general population) the most bought off people in the world. No expecting trouble.

The opening post has this paragraph:

"Laws and regulations in the Kingdom prohibit all kinds of demonstrations, marches and sit-in protests, as well as calling for them, as they go against the principles of Shariah and Saudi customs and traditions," the ministry said in its statement, as reported by Arab News.

Are you people now claiming a sovereign nation can no longer enforce its own laws?