Charlie'S Fish And Chips

HansBlinkers

Breaded fish (plaice or whatever) served with french fries or potato wedges,tartar sauce, lemon and salad, may technically be fish with chips - but it is not "fish and chips".

Why not? :unsure:

What do you want? A newspaper as a wrap? :rolleyes:

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Breaded fish (plaice or whatever) served with french fries or potato wedges,tartar sauce, lemon and salad, may technically be fish with chips - but it is not "fish and chips".

Why not? :unsure:

What do you want? A newspaper as a wrap? :rolleyes:

....not just any newspaper..... A PINK ONE

Replace the french fries or potato wedges,tartar sauce, lemon and salad with real chips and pickled cucumbers and onions, if required. thumbsup.gif

North of Watford may add mushy peas. wink.gif

Edited by uptheos

Look, let us face some facts here.

There is no way that any Chiang Mai restaurant is ever going to be able to duplicate the same quality type of fish and chips meals as available in England. Just not possible and would not expect them to, no matter what they claim or what is said in the reviews.

Sure, some of them are OK or so, so, but I personally do not over rate them.

It`s just a matter of which one can do the best fry up and hardly any better, in most cases worse then err indoors can conjure up in the pan at home.

If the service is good, the guvnor friendly and welcoming and the fry up is substantial then it`s just a pleasant change of environment to being at home and to me this is what I consider most important.

But I never put too much emphasis on the fish and chips or expect anything even half as good as from the good old local chippy back home. If the restaurant has a type of enviroment which makes me feel welcome, with reasonable food and a place I enjoy to visit, that`s good enough for me and I will never complain.

Edited by Beetlejuice

"In Chiang Mai there are only a very few decent farang orientated eating houses."

True IMHO.

"Breaded fish (plaice or whatever) served with french fries or potato wedges,tartar sauce, lemon and salad, may technically be fish with chips - but it is not "fish and chips". "

Very true, Real Batter only.

"Why not? :unsure:

What do you want? A newspaper as a wrap? :rolleyes:"

Ah memories are made of this, News of the Screws and none of that Pooffy Grease Proof Paper they have these days.

john

Edited by jonwilly

• 5 months later...

Apologies if I've missed it, not been on TV for a while, but what actually happened to Charlie? Heard his health problems got worse, and had to return to the UK for treatment, didn't have enough medical cover in Thailand. Hope he's ok, lovely bloke, never had a lot to say, but good sense of humour, great fish 'n chips. Been back in Europe for a year, back to Thailand permanently in 2012, there'll be a few familiar faces missing by the sound of it.

• 1 year later...

somebody told me that Charlie lost his lease to the owner who installed one of her relatives:- Yunee -' Farang only make money short time, then Thai take over.' as Thai standards of service took over along with the fact that Yunee had little idea how to cook fish and chips. The business took the usual soft landing

I agree. Goose's has the best fish and chips I've ever had in Asia and would be pretty good in a Western country. However, I thought their dory was pretty good too - better than cod in other places that I have tried.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Almost thought of moving to Pattaya, Goose 'Looks' very tasty.

However Kelly's saves the day in CM.

john

From CM RUMOR MILL, therefore nothing confirmed.

I was told some months ago that Charlie had returned to UK for medical treatment and had passed away.

A second person who used to post on this board, told me Charlie had returned from UK post medical treatment and lived in Pattaya where he had died in unnatural causes.

re.

They have much better nightlife, but we have cleaner beaches.

hes right !

coz i saw u g on the new beach outside the dukes with his bucket and spade last week and kellys fish and chips was good but as its way out on the opposite side of town for me the best ive found in town is the un irish

dave2

ps .. the river at the moment is the lowest ive ever seen it

post-42592-0-23451000-1356667371_thumb.j

post-42592-0-25661700-1356667429_thumb.j

post-42592-0-56181000-1356667463_thumb.j

post-42592-0-11168700-1356667516_thumb.j

post-42592-0-57725500-1356667789_thumb.j

Edited by dave2

coz i saw u g on the new beach outside the dukes with his bucket and spade last week and kellys fish and chips was good but as its way out on the opposite side of town for me the best ive found in town is the un irish

I like the UN Irish F&C, which I think is 180 Baht.

However, for value I think Gecko Garden's Friday F&C special at 105 Baht is hard to beat, with good sized tasty portions of fish, OK amount of chips, side salad and pickle. Plus a Diet Coke is only 20 Baht.

Edited by uptheos

• 5 months later...

But where is Charlie? Has he gone back to London or his original home town Blackpool. He spent most of his working life in the fire prevention business. That is selling the fire fighting equipment. He told me he did very well out of it. But in retirement he went back to fish and chips the world he was brought up in. But where is he now?

Not sure about Charlie, but i passed the place that was (his?) Yunee's, and it's been bulldozed/flattened to the ground! I'll have to check again that i wasn't seeing an apparition or something similar.

Edited by scd

Talking about Fish & Chips, I was in Gecko Garden yesterday lunchtime and had some, which were good value at 105 Baht + 20 Baht for a Coke Light. The waitress pointed out a sign that said; all daily 'special price' meals will now be available at the special price, every day up until 4pm.

• Like 1

The Gecko Garden fish and chips are not gourmet quality, but they are tasty and a great deal at the price.

Goose's in Pattaya are, by far, the best fish and chips that I have had in Thailand, but more expensive and many hours away.

re

Talking about Fish & Chips, I was in Gecko Garden yesterday

here ya go ... but the promotion prices may have gone up ?

dave2

Prices are the same, F&C 105 Baht before 4pm now 5 days a week. The fish and salad in the picture look about the same as I had, but your chips are more than double the amount they are now giving. It's still a good deal though.

Sausage King Garden Restaurant do a good Fish and Chips too, very tasty and great value. They even have Cod sometimes But I prefer the other fish they offer.

Great chips too

SK's food and prices look really great, but unfortunately a bit far out for me.

Edited by uptheos