Is There A Demand For Business English Teachers In Bangkok?

Is there a demand for business english teachers in Bangkok? Or do you have to be open to teach conversational and/or grammar as well?

A little about me...I'm 36 years old and just came back from a trip to Bangkok and Japan where (forgive my ignorance) I discovered the significant use of the English language in business, especially between people of different Asian countries. I have a BComm (bachelor of commerce) from a top Canadian university, no criminal record but no TEFL yet. I have no formal teaching experience at academic instutions per se aside from being a guest speaker on a few occasions at my alma matter (Concordia University in Montreal) where I spoke to an entrepreneurship class about the business I used to run. I did however work as a trainer for Canada's biggest bank (Royal Bank of Canada) about 10 years ago for just over a year where my title was "Regional Technology Trainer". Until recently I ran a distribution business which i've sold and i'm looking to start a new chapter in my life and have fallen in love with Thailand.

I would like to go to Bangkok and sign up for a CELTA or DELTA certification and then look for work teaching adults business English. I've read the DELTA diploma is more geared towards people who are looking to make teaching their long term/permanent careers but given the short duration of the program (8 weeks intensive) I don't have a problem doing it if it will improve my chances of finding work. I've also looked into finding some kind of "Business English" certification but the only one i've found is a one week course at ECC which is only held twice a year. I've read on this board that 'home country' designations are considered superior to those obtained in Thailand but I would prefer to obtain the designation in Thailand so I can assess if i'm suited to live there as well as taking advantage of any referrals the school giving the certification may have. If they don't have a formal system in place for that, then I can make friends to point me in the right direction.

Is my focus too narrow or is it realistic that I could find work teaching business English to adults in the city with one of those certifications? Salary is not a major concern. My main motivation is to live in Bangkok and i'm trying to decide between this route or maybe enrolling at an international university there and doing a post graduate program.

I've also read somewhere that a lot of hiring for teachers tends to happen in February. Is it unrealistic to try to find work at any other time of the year for Business English? Or is that guideline more geared to people teaching children?

Thanks in advance to any replies, especially given the fact that there are so many similar queries on this board.

Edited by MontrealFarang

There are language schools that have classes for Business students. There is a demand and there are usually jobs available.

Hopefully, other posters will be by to give you some help.

There is a high demand for business English teachers in the Rayong/Siri Ratcha area. Many companies are looking for teachers to teach their staff.

The best way to land one of these jobs is to hit the pavement, and go from company to company armed with your resume and good demeanor. Prepare a demo and familiarize yourself with the TOEIC , and at the very least get your TEFL cert.

Good luck! Mizzi

Edited by mizzi39

Yes there is demand for Business English teachers, but there is also a big supply as well, especially in Bangkok.... I put up a Job posting for a Business English position as some of the employees at our company asked me for help to find an English teacher for classes after work.

In less than 12 hours from the time that the add was placed, I received aprox 30 applications....

Given the overwhelming response I had to ask them to pull the add after only 12 hours as I had received CV's from so many qualified applicants already.

I think most teachers will get a full time job at a school for a steady income and Business English teaching is primarily done as a way to supplement their income.

• 2 weeks later...

Get your CELTA, TESL, or whatever asap. Coming to Bkk for that would be good. If you can't do that, do it where you are. Also, start tutoring as a volunteer at a local immigrant or non-profit English school to get some experience. You may be well educated and a smart person, but you'll need experience dealing with blank stares.

Edited by Jawnie

Also, start tutoring as a volunteer at a local immigrant or non-profit English school to get some experience.

For the above the OP will still need a Work Permit. That won't be easy unless he has sponsorship.

I meant that he should do the volunteer work in his home country if coming to Thailand immediately is not possible. A little teaching experience goes a long way regardless of where one does it. It is also "a way forward" for someone trying to take the leap into teaching. rolleyes.gif

Demand is there, but there are so many teachers available. Most work is done in the evenings, and as one poster said teachers will use it to supplement their income.

During my time at a language centre, I would place an advert, and within 10 hours I would have over 100 applicants, most of them however did not meet the basic criteria (Native English Speaker).

• 1 month later...