Alternatives To Ais Edge/Gprs Package In Bangkok

Hi, I recently upgraded my AIS package to unlimited Edge/GPRS for use with my iPhone. However, I've found it's a complete waste of money except for use with IM, whatsapp etc. Trying to browse the web or deal with email whilst in a taxi or on the BTS/MRT is a complete waste of time. Pages take forever to load or don't load at all. Emails with photo attachments take forever to send/receive and more often than not I can't even connect to the gmail server. What other options are there? Do AIS offer a better package (as I'd like to keep my existing number if possible)? If not, is their a superior package from another provider that performs equally well in the city centre and outskirts of BK? All suggestions welcome. Many thanks for any input you can give.

Cheers.

This is Thailand, as far as I'm aware we don't have 3G yet. Only a few hotspots littered around Bangkok city centre afaik. Pleae correct me if I'm wrong.

This is wrong. 3G has been here for quite some time. I have True 3G on my iPhone. I switched from AIS. Edge was too slow. I also used the same phone number. I get consistent 3G all throughout Bangkok and on the outskirts down nearly to Chonburi. It is also cheaper than AIS.

This is Thailand, as far as I'm aware we don't have 3G yet. Only a few hotspots littered around Bangkok city centre afaik. Pleae correct me if I'm wrong.

This is wrong. 3G has been here for quite some time. I have True 3G on my iPhone. I switched from AIS. Edge was too slow. I also used the same phone number. I get consistent 3G all throughout Bangkok and on the outskirts down nearly to Chonburi. It is also cheaper than AIS.

Thx for the info Floridaguy, how do I get to keep my existing number?

Keeping your existing number is known as MNP. Here's how to switch to true: http://truemove.com/mnp/en/know_mnp.html

I just did it this past week, and there were a few speed bumps, but now I have successfully converted my pre-paid DTAC number to a post-paid True 3G account on my iPhone4.

The first speed bump was the friendly "helpful" staff at the DTAC shop saying that my number was not registered, and I had to wait seven days before going to the True shop. I had owned that DTAC phone number for six years, and the reason for my visit to the DTAC shop was simply to update my passport number so that when True contacted them, the passport numbers would match. After that encounter with DTAC, the True sales person actually called DTAC customer service and verified that my number was, in fact, registered.

The second speed bump was accessing True WiFi Hotspots. True needs to enter the MAC address for your device (iPhone or iPad, probably in most cases). Otherwise you will be presented with a username/password screen and you will not have (and don't need) a username or password.

Be aware there may be a short gap in service between the time your AIS account is deactivated and your True account is activated. My DTAC account was deactivated shortly after midnight, but my True account was not active until about 1000am.