Setting Up Dual Wan System

rounder8

Can someone please help me configure RV042?

My hardware:

-Zyxel P660HW-T1 router for TRUE

-Huawei SmartAX MT880 for 3BB

-Linksys RV042 dual WAN router

-Linksys WAP54G wireless access point

How to get all that crap work together?? :blink:

First, enable "Dual WAN" in the RV042; then configure the ZyXEL and MT880 using ONE of the methods given below. Don't worry about setting up wireless just yet, leave that for later.

Method 1

- Put the ZyXEL and MT880 into "bridge mode"

- Enter PPPoE info for True and 3BB in the RV042

- Connect both DSL modem/routers LAN port to the RV042 WAN/internet ports

Method 2

Configure both DSL modem/routers so that neither device share the same gateway address. Assuming the RV042 gateway is 192.168.1.1, set the internal IP for ZyXEL and MT880 as follows:

;ZyXEL

IP = 192.168.2.1
Subnet mask = 255.255.255.0

;MT880

IP = 192.168.3.1

Then configure the WAN connection on the RV042 to use a static IP; that is, the IP address of the ZyXEL and MT880. Alternatively, you could also have the RV042 "obtain IP automatically" -- assuming both WAN devices have DHCP enabled.

With this method, both WAN devices initiate the PPPoE session and forward traffic to the RV042.

Can someone please help me configure RV042?

My hardware:

-Zyxel P660HW-T1 router for TRUE

-Huawei SmartAX MT880 for 3BB

-Linksys RV042 dual WAN router

-Linksys WAP54G wireless access point

How to get all that crap work together?? :blink:

First, enable "Dual WAN" in the RV042; then configure the ZyXEL and MT880 using ONE of the methods given below. Don't worry about setting up wireless just yet, leave that for later.

Method 1

- Put the ZyXEL and MT880 into "bridge mode"

- Enter PPPoE info for True and 3BB in the RV042

- Connect both DSL modem/routers LAN port to the RV042 WAN/internet ports

Method 2

Configure both DSL modem/routers so that neither device share the same gateway address. Assuming the RV042 gateway is 192.168.1.1, set the internal IP for ZyXEL and MT880 as follows:

;ZyXEL

IP = 192.168.2.1

;MT880

IP = 192.168.3.1

Then configure the WAN connection on the RV042 to use a static IP; that is, the IP address of the ZyXEL and MT880. Alternatively, you could also have the RV042 "obtain IP automatically" -- assuming both WAN devices have DHCP enabled.

With this method, both WAN devices initiate the PPPoE session and forward traffic to the RV042.

Thank you so much Supernova for your quick response!

Which method do you recommend? Method one or two? I guess I could try them both...

I found this guide with a quick search, there are probably others?

http://www.moushigo.com/index.php/2008/03/27/linksys-rv042-dual-wan-router/

I can barely keep up with a single DSL line and modem/router (per site); that box looks powerful but maybe too complex? Can you manage the DSL modems/routers in-band? I assume not. So I guess you connect to each directly in order to monitor/trouble-shoot? I think you also have to be careful about using websites which track IP addresses, as you will have two (one from True and one from 3BB). But I'm sure you'll figure it all out eventually. Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress.

Ok finally I got my system up and running. I wasn't doing my WAN modem/router configuration properly.

Simple steps to get this system working:

Modem/router configuration:

1. Turn into bridged mode

2. Disable NAT

3. Disable DHCP

4. Reboot modem, you should not be able to access your modem after reboot because DHCP is disabled now (I assume it was enabled before).

5. Manually set IP for your LAN connection. Like 192.168.1.150 for example...

6. Check that you have connection to your modem/router now

7. Add PPPoE connection

8. Connect using PPPoE connection

9. If it connects to internet then your modem/router is properly configured!

Repeat steps above for your other modem/router...

RV042 configuration:

1. Go to setup -> Network

2. Select PPPoE to WAN1 and adjust according to your ISP settings

3. Repeat to WAN2

4. Go to System management -> Dual WAN

5. Select Load Balance

6. Adjust Max Bandwitch settings

7. Go to main page

8. Click on connect on both of the WAN connections

Congrats, you are done!

I got 10/0.5 Mbit TRUE and 16/1 MBit 3BB. This is my speedtest.com result.

Edited by rounder8

Congrats on getting this up and running.

The speedtest results are curious though, in that the results indicate 99+% of aggregate bandwidth which is unusual, the ping time seems slow and how did the far-end know to use both lines? You should have hit the speedtest server on one ISP. And you must be nearly on top of the serving DSLAM(s). It looks perfect.

Congrats on getting this up and running.

The speedtest results are curious though, in that the results indicate 99+% of aggregate bandwidth which is unusual, the ping time seems slow and how did the far-end know to use both lines? You should have hit the speedtest server on one ISP. And you must be nearly on top of the serving DSLAM(s). It looks perfect.

Well,

As I tested my TRUE and 3BB separately I got 10/0.5 and 16/1 speeds respectively which might be quite unusual. First time ever I got almost 100% the advertised speed. RV042 does very good job combining downstream to 26mbit (it waries between 20-26mbit ... that test result was better than normal) but upstream is only 1mbit for some reason.

Very happy about my setup so far :)

Edit:

Actually speedtest results wary a lot... All the way from 10mbit to 26mbit ... Anyway it seems I can get 16+mbit download speeds using torrents pretty easily...

Edited by rounder8

It still doesn't make sense, to me anyway, that the speedtest server somehow knows to combine your two different DSL lines; sending packets out over two different links. It seems like the request would go out over the 3BB line or the True line, so max out at 10 or 16 Mbps? I think I might suspect something is amiss, but as long as you are happy. BTW, did you go through this gyration just to bitorrent? And here we thought it was for work. ;) If so you might have been better off getting a seedbox. My seedbox is limited to 6 MB/s which is of course equal to 48 Mbps. But then I still need to download locally.

Personally if I was paying two subs a month to get some back up I would want two lines, two modems and a load-balancing router. That would be worth having.

i have all that but never got the crap working :bah:

You were probably trying to use two routers together. This isnt easy and will only work if you follow the instructions given by Supernova (method 1 is by far the best).

A much easier solution is to use one router (the load-balancing one) and two modems. Or possibly one load-balancing modem/router and one modem. Both of these solutions require hardly any configuration at all.

It still doesn't make sense, to me anyway, that the speedtest server somehow knows to combine your two different DSL lines; sending packets out over two different links. It seems like the request would go out over the 3BB line or the True line, so max out at 10 or 16 Mbps? I think I might suspect something is amiss, but as long as you are happy. BTW, did you go through this gyration just to bitorrent? And here we thought it was for work. ;) If so you might have been better off getting a seedbox. My seedbox is limited to 6 MB/s which is of course equal to 48 Mbps. But then I still need to download locally.

Obviously having a stable internet for my work was my primary concern. I don't usually even download any torrents so speed is not all that important...

PPPoE. generally yes you would have to set it up on the router. And even though my router (DLink DSL 2640B) is already pre-configured to ToT settings and that includes picking up the DNS automatically, I still have to enter the DNS ip addresses in on my macbook and laptop internet settings in order to use web browser correctly. Although sometimes it will work for a little bit without inputting the DNS on the phone wifi.

Edited by 4evermaat

And here we thought it was for work. ;) If so you might have been better off getting a seedbox. My seedbox is limited to 6 MB/s which is of course equal to 48 Mbps. But then I still need to download locally.

Had I known this, I might have used a seedbox myself. what company do you use? I'm looking into seedboxone . This might have been the better option, although I do have more flexibility with having two internet connections, one portable at home. Perhaps I will just add on a seedbox.

• 2 weeks later...