What are you cooking today?

11 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

For breakfast , Cumberland sausage, egg, tomato , tea ,bread and butter....

regards worgeordie

What, every day?

48 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I looked to see if there was a thread  already, but we all know how good the search function in Asean Now is, 

Tired of talking about trump, Ukraine,  Israel ,  or reacting to news articles posted by Webfact. 

We all live in Thailand and have many interests, and none of it is more central than eating . For many of us who don't live in the large metropolitan areas, Finding Western food is difficult . and necessity being the mother of invention, we try, with variable levels of success to make our own. 

I am always looking for ideas and something new to ear, So What are you cooking today?  I am not only interested in what.  you ate. But also a little bit about it, in case I wanted to try and make it myself. 

image.png.579ce6ce8e7c5e331a9b8cc952ba51b0.png

Lemon Chicken and potatoes

In a bowl mix, a cup of olive oil, the juice of two small lemons (less if you don't like that much lemon) a couple of spoons of mustard, Oreganon , salt and pepper .

Peal you potatoes, cut them in half. and each half in three parts. 

Toss the potatoes in the oil lemon mix so the they are evenly coated , take the potatoes out and place them in a baking tray leaving the rest of the oil mix in the bowl. 

Arrange chicken chicken parts as shown in the picture, pour the rest of the oil mix over the chicken parts and potatoes. 

brush some more mustard on the chickens , and last Salt and pepper over the chicken and potatoes. 

It is important to do the salt and pepper last, otherwise the oil lemon mix you pot over the potatoes and chicken would wash the salt and pepper off 

After you warm up the oven to 350 F  turn the top burner off, and bake for about 1 hour, then turn the top burner on and bake for about 15 min, keeping an eye on it so that you don't burn the chicken skin .

It is actually very easy to make and delirious. 

Looking forward to seeing  some of your recipes. 

No vegetables? Finding 'Western' food is not difficult. Chicken is chicken, pork is pork wherever you are. It's the way it is cooked which make it Western, or Oriental etc.

And for the other six days in a week?

By 'top burner' I guess in UK we would say 'grill'.

Edited by KannikaP

Alternate with muesli = Swiss breakfast, Croissants = French breakfast and Porridge = Scottish.

Then the bacon, sausage, toms, beans, mushrooms, fried eggs, fried bread, on a Sunday. Mmmmm.

Of course, Yorkshire tea with all except the French one which needs coffee.

Just now, KannikaP said:

No vegetables?

And for the other six days in a week?

By 'top burner' I guess in UK we would say 'grill'.

I guess the potatoes are the vegetables , 

Yea we do have the issue of being from different countries and using different terms 

By "top burner" I meant the oven. It has a bottom berner, and a top burner, 

I guess you might be right because you use the top burner to roast and grill. 

I bake with the bottom burner because the pan is between the food and the  fire, preventing burning.

Then after the chicken and potatoes have been cooked, I turn the top burner on to caramelize the potatoes and Chicken skin. You need to be careful and keep an eye when you have the top burner because it is easy to burn the food.  

7 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

you can add seafood to diet occasionally to add some variety.

buy bags of pre-cooked frozen shrimp. they can be pan-fried in 5 minutes.

learn how to make clam chowder.

plenty of recipes online. 

Love my shrimps.but I am trying to control my cholesterol with diet and it's not working. 

Now that I think of it , I should go to the lab in the city and have my cholesterol checked. 

2 minutes ago, novacova said:

This morning wife cooked jinsom with eggs and black rice. Occasionally I’ll cook, nothing worth writing home about, mashed potatoes and salmon.

Salmon is always a good quick to go meal and it is always good. 

I like to buy the frozen salmon steaks  with the center bone in it,

Wife said she likes to buy the fresh salmon. I laugh and say is that the one they caught in the local lake yesterday?  LOL

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

By "top burner" I meant the oven. It has a bottom berner, and a top burner, 

I guess you might be right because you use the top burner to roast and grill. 

I bake with the bottom burner because the pan is between the food and the  fire, preventing burning.

Then after the chicken and potatoes have been cooked, I turn the top burner on to caramelize the potatoes and Chicken skin. You need to be careful and keep an eye when you have the top burner because it is easy to burn the food.  

Top burner, we've/I've always referred to as 'broiler', in USA, here, I just say top heating element, since electric oven.  Basically upside down 'grill'.   Which I use occasionally, or at least set food close to it.   Especially when making pizza.   Bottom gets crisp'd on the cast iron on the hob/gas stove, then top gets melted under the 'broiler'/top burner. Did one just yesterday, meatball/under the cheese:

image.png.c712ea2270a7b759ca051fbd96d1f338.png

Edited by KhunLA

2 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

It was delicious 😋 😍.  Come over if you want to taste it next time.

Only NextG? or can we all come over?

Do you have beer? I like that new Carabao beer. 

4 hours ago, sirineou said:

It is actually very easy to make and delirious. 

Damn you autocorrect!

Sounds pretty good, but since Madam only allows me in the kitchen to get myself a beer ...

Been making these the past 3 days.  Make 2 a day, so we only eat 2 a day.

Apple turnovers, ingredients;

Apples, any kind

Brown sugar

Cinnamon

Corn starch/flour

Butter

Puff pastry squares/PP (Makro)

Amounts depends how much you make.  I used 4 apples (medium size) and least expensive.   Since adding sugar & cinnamon.  Actually best apples I've bought so far ... go figure.

About 2 tbsp of butter, apples, in saucepan, soften them up for about 2 or 3 mins, add 1 or 2 tbsp sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon to start & about 1 tsp of corn starch, and continue mixing for about 2 ish minutes.   Taste & adjust.  Let cool down.

Take PP out of freezing,  trim 2 edge sides of plastic off, (make a folder) while keeping PP covered so not to dry out.  Wait till soft to the touch,  Add filling in center, wet the one edge lightly with water, and simply fold over.  Press to seal.  

Preheat air fryer 200C/5mins, then place in, on greased foil, cook at 180C/5 mins, flip, and another 5 mins.

If in a regular full size convection over, probably take 30+ mins to finish, depending on your oven.

If wanting a frosting/icing, then simple;   X/icing sugar, wee bit of milk, very wee bit of vanilla, if having, stir till desired viscosity. 

4 apples made 6 so far, probably got enough for 4 more.

image.png.a668cb83b2777cf3cc0a8cd079a37023.png

Edited by KhunLA

14 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Been making these the past 3 days.  Make 2 a day, so we only eat 2 a day.

Apple turnovers, ingredients;

Apples, any kind

Brown sugar

Cinnamon

Corn starch/flour

Butter

Puff pastry squares/PP (Makro)

Amounts depends how much you make.  I used 4 apples (medium size) and least expensive.   Since adding sugar & cinnamon.  Actually best apples I've bought so far ... go figure.

About 2 of butter, apples, in saucepan, soften them up for about 2 or 3 mins, add 1 or 2 tbsp sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon to start & about 1 tsp of corn starch, and continue mixing for about 2 ish minutes.   Taste & adjust.  Let cool down.

Take PP out of freezing,  trim 2 edge sides of plastic off, (make a folder) while keeping PP covered so not to dry out.  Wait till soft to the touch,  Add filling in center, wet the one edge lightly with water, and simply fold over.  Press to seal.  

Preheat air fryer 200C/5mins, then place in, on greased foil, cook at 180C/5 mins, flip, and another 5 mins.

If in a regular full size convection over, probably take 30+ mins to finish, depending on your oven.

If wanting a frosting/icing, then simple;   X/icing sugar, wee bit of milk, very wee bit of vanilla, if having, stir till desired viscosity. 

4 apples made 6 so far, probably got enough for 4 more.

image.png.a668cb83b2777cf3cc0a8cd079a37023.png

Those really look good and I have to say they look professionally made. 

Where in Makro  did you find the Puff pastry squares ? was it by the bread? 

I have been looking for them . 

I am going to give them a try. 

Just now, sirineou said:

Those really look good and I have to say they look professionally made. 

Where in Makro  did you find the Puff pastry squares ? was it by the bread? 

I have been looking for them . 

I am going to give them a try. 

Yes ... this brand and like how they are individually wrapped:

image.png.8d34d60a1879bfe04be093abce4d7145.png

4 hours ago, sirineou said:

Salmon is always a good quick to go meal and it is always good. 

I like to buy the frozen salmon steaks  with the center bone in it,

Wife said she likes to buy the fresh salmon. I laugh and say is that the one they caught in the local lake yesterday?  LOL

Salmon. So do I, at Makro. I also buy meat patties, ham and sausages online from Smokey Mountain Foods.

I am not cooking today, my GF has made a mussuman curry for me.

I alternate between cooking for myself, letting my GF do it, and going out to eat. I tend to avoid cooking dishes that are time-consuming.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Yes ... this brand and like how they are individually wrapped:

image.png.8d34d60a1879bfe04be093abce4d7145.png

Thank you for that

Unless you really read the label well ,  you would never know they were pastry dough. I will get some later today. 

So many different things you can make with them.

Wife found fillo dough for me on Shopee

It comes all rolled up, without unrolling it , I cut five inches and the rest I use  vacuumed food saver to seal it and freeze it for future use. 

when you roll out the section you cut you get strips 5" wide and I would say 12" long,

You only need two or three of those sheets  of fillo dough . (usually there are about a dozen very think sheets)

you can either spray olive oil on them or brush melted butter, 

you place what ever filling you want at one end and then you start folding, corner to corner, Like folding a flag. 

Which is why you only need 2-3 layer strips. because by the time you are done folding you have several layers. 

The picture below is not mine, I could not readily find one of mine (just to picture what I mean)

image.png.85debbf6b6f73c1f06740d2762c3acb5.png

Edited by sirineou