Renewing Uk Passport

Hi, has anyone renewed their passport through Hong Kong recently (as you can no longer do it through BKK)? If so, what documents did you send? According to the notes with the application form, I have to send MY birth certificate, and, because I was born after 1982, my MOTHERS birth certificate (or fathers). This seems daft as I am renewing a previously issued passport, and because, at nearly thirty, asking my Ma for this seems ridiculous. Both a friend and I have gone over the notes with a fine-toothed comb and it definitely DOES say this, but surely it can't be the case? Any advice appreciated. Lottee

Hmm, am tempted to do just that, as it's cheaper as well. Am put off by timespan though, I need to fly in four weeks, Guarenteeing that tournaround to the UK is impossible, but Hong Kong will do it. Also being without y passport here for a while seems like a bad idea (and would be unable to do 90 day report on time). Thanks for the idea though, and will recommend that to others with less pressing demands.

Fill in the forms, send them along with your old passport to a family member back in the UK and get them to post it off for you. ( i use Glasgow - about 3 or 4 days )

If you were allowed to do this everybody would do so, but you cannot, or at least shouldn't.

One of the reasons the Consulate in Hong Kong allows you to send a copy of the bio page from your passport, as opposed to the passport itself, is the requirement to carry your passport with you in Thailand, or at least have it available.

Edited by theoldgit

The birth certificate + parental birth certificate is only required for a FIRST passport application in order to prove you're eligible to get a passport.

If you already have a passport, you can use that instead. (and since Thailand is a country that officially requires you to carry your passport, you actually send a photocopy of your data page rather than the actual passport to Hong Kong.) Usually the nastiest problem here is getting compliant photos.

Fill in the forms, send them along with your old passport to a family member back in the UK and get them to post it off for you. ( i use Glasgow - about 3 or 4 days )

If you were allowed to do this everybody would do so, but you cannot, or at least shouldn't.

One of the reasons the Consulate in Hong Kong allows you to send a copy of the bio page from your passport, as opposed to the passport itself, is the requirement to carry your passport with you in Thailand, or at least have it available.

Just wondring who do you get to sign the back of photos ie; to confirm it is you

Just wondring who do you get to sign the back of photos ie; to confirm it is you

the UKHong Kong website states that IF its arenewaland your likeness is substantially like you look in the oldpassport there is no need tocomplete the confirmation section.