Thai Finance Ministry To Clamp Down On Illegal Cigarettes

webfact

Fin Min to clamp down on illegal cigarettes

BANGKOK (NNT) -- The Finance Ministry is prepared to seek the Prime Minister’s consideration on six measures for preventing sales of illegal cigarettes, which have cost the country billions of baht every year.

In his capacity as the chairman of the committee for prevention and suppression of illegal cigarettes, Deputy Finance Minister Man Pattanothai revealed that six measures had been drawn up as part of the framework to eradicate cigarette smuggling into the country and would be presented to Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva within mid-April.

The six measures include the establishment of an intelligence center to coordinate with relevant state and private agencies on monitoring trades of illegal cigarettes, and the formation of networks to help put an end to such practices. The cigarette tax stamp will be improved for higher efficiency in differentiating legal products from tax-evading ones while stricter regulations will be applied to the issuance of licenses to cigarette manufacturers and sellers. The tax collection system will also be revamped with tougher punishments.

According to statistics, up to 1.8 billion packs of cigarettes are sold each year in Thailand, of which 10 percent, or 180 million packs, are speculated to be illegal. The smuggled products reportedly cause the government to lose as much as 5 billion THB in annual revenue.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-03-24 footer_n.gif

Maybe they should clamp down on a lot of the illegal politicians. They also cost the country billions per year.

Prices of anything that are taxed should be relevant to the average local salary. (Obviously not including luxury items)

Maybe they should clamp down on a lot of the illegal politicians. They also cost the country billions per year.

Prices of anything that are taxed should be relevant to the average local salary. (Obviously not including luxury items)

Hey our kid, How about taking a look at the houses and cars owned by top elected Government/police/local government officials. You will quickly find out that most of them could NEVER afford the said cars and homes on the salaries they receive.

Around my area this is a known fact, and Thai people dare not speak about it, but all are aware. This is what sickens Thai people hence the reason they dont care, and will get what they can, as the upper class do.

I would say get these Hi SOs and ask some questions. Would be funny to be there to listen to the replies.

Friend of mine bought 4 cartons of LM RED Cigs at Aranyaptet a month ago off a Thai who offered them to him cheap.

He bought the 4 cartons and was stopped a short time later by the Tax Exise officer who told him if he did not pay the tax on the cigs he would arrest him.

He told the officer that he bought the cigs legally and cheaply from a Thai National in Thailand, not over the border and that each carton and each packet in each carton had an Excise TAX sticker or stamp on it.

He showed the officer the cigs with the stamp and told the Tax Cop he could take him to the Police Stn if he wanted?

He was let go.

Dont fall for it, if you purchase anything in Thailand and it has a TAX Stamp on it, the Tax has been paid.

However we all know they came from Cambodia by the crook and he was the only one breaking the law. Not the purchaser.

I would have thought this more a problem of the Revenue Dept not the Finance Ministry! But why not tackle the real problem - the cost of health from smoking against the community who pay taxes? Tax the shit out of cigarettes and pay it to medical - stop pussy footing around. 5Bn in lost revenues can be gained easily by upping the taxes across the board to smokers. Why should the community subsidise a dying habit? annoyed.gif

illegal, contraband/counterfeit cigarettes is a global problem. I don't think much can be done here in corrupt Thailand.

Counterfeiters are normally ahead of the game, by the time you attempt raid, they have packed and left.

It would be nice if they (Government) decided to make ALL cigarette smoking ILLEGAL there would be a lot less moody people around. (and less toxic stink) Cigarettes are as addictive at Heroin, whereas Marijuana is not at all addictive and has health benefits.

Pattaya should do this and legalize Marijuana and become the Asian cannabis Cafe HUB.

Tourism would sky rocket through the roof, compete directly with Amsterdam I know which city would win... :w00t:

"Come on nicotine addicts bring it on".. :violin:

Friend of mine bought 4 cartons of LM RED Cigs at Aranyaptet a month ago off a Thai who offered them to him cheap.

He bought the 4 cartons and was stopped a short time later by the Tax Exise officer who told him if he did not pay the tax on the cigs he would arrest him.

He told the officer that he bought the cigs legally and cheaply from a Thai National in Thailand, not over the border and that each carton and each packet in each carton had an Excise TAX sticker or stamp on it.

He showed the officer the cigs with the stamp and told the Tax Cop he could take him to the Police Stn if he wanted?

He was let go.

Dont fall for it, if you purchase anything in Thailand and it has a TAX Stamp on it, the Tax has been paid.

However we all know they came from Cambodia by the crook and he was the only one breaking the law. Not the purchaser.

They operate a similar scam at Suvarnabhumi Airport in Bangkok with people bringing in excess duty free tobacco. Excise officers hassling arriving passengers after they have passed through Customs in the arrivals hall and outside the terminal building.

They are not interested in actually preventing crime or maintaining law and order; only extortion and harassment.

It would be nice if they (Government) decided to make ALL cigarette smoking ILLEGAL there would be a lot less moody people around. (and less toxic stink) Cigarettes are as addictive at Heroin, whereas Marijuana is not at all addictive and has health benefits.

Pattaya should do this and legalize Marijuana and become the Asian cannabis Cafe HUB.

Tourism would sky rocket through the roof, compete directly with Amsterdam I know which city would win... :w00t:

You can already smoke fairly openly in Cambodia, no need to go to a dump like Pattaya. :jap:

You can already smoke fairly openly in Cambodia, no need to go to a dump like Pattaya. :jap:

Hilton, Sheraton, Royal Cliff, Centara Grand, Dusit x2, Marriott, Amari, Royal Cliff to name but a few, all in that dump Pattaya

who would have thunk it?

I would have thought this more a problem of the Revenue Dept not the Finance Ministry! But why not tackle the real problem - the cost of health from smoking against the community who pay taxes? Tax the shit out of cigarettes and pay it to medical - stop pussy footing around. 5Bn in lost revenues can be gained easily by upping the taxes across the board to smokers. Why should the community subsidise a dying habit? annoyed.gif

I think you are applying western logic here, remember TIT. Other than the failed, I repeat failed measure (30 baht health scheme)Thaksin brought about, Thai peoples taxes do not pay for anyone's medical care, unlike in the west.

Higher tax on cigs would just result in more money for these politicians, c'mon, do you really think they would use that money to pay for peoples health problems? :lol::blink:

I agree with you, I also believe anyone ingesting caffeine should be arrested. There would be a lot less moody people around if people weren't addictied to caffeine right? :lol:

Go do a bong hit and watch south park, slacker B)

Hey our kid, How about taking a look at the houses and cars owned by top elected Government/police/local government officials. You will quickly find out that most of them could NEVER afford the said cars and homes on the salaries they receive.

Around my area this is a known fact, and Thai people dare not speak about it, but all are aware. This is what sickens Thai people hence the reason they dont care, and will get what they can, as the upper class do.

I would say get these Hi SOs and ask some questions. Would be funny to be there to listen to the replies.

+1, :)

And I always thought Cambodia was "the dump" ... they allow sex with underage kids don't they? quite horrible the last time I visited.

On the other hand Pattaya is becoming really good thanks to the excellent work of Lord Mayor Khun Ittipol Khunplome.

Edited by newermonkey

And I always thought Cambodia was "the dump" ... they allow sex with underage kids don't they? quite horrible the last time I visited.

On the other hand Pattaya is becoming really good thanks to the excellent work of Lord Mayor Khun Ittipol Khunplome.

Cambodian people are far friendlier than Thais I find and it is still largely and thankfully free of the singlet wearing mouth-breathers that seem to occupy all of Pattaya.

FYI, Cambodia is far more visibly active at tackling Paedophilia and child sex tourism in general than Thailand, and you can enjoy a drink legally at all hours and a wee smoke if you are into that sort of thing.

Enjoy being arrested then extorted for a tiny bit of weed and being told to go home when the bars close at 1am in Pattaya though, whatever floats yer boat.

Yeah, Pattaya is much better. :lol:

Cambodian people are far friendlier than Thais I find and it is still largely and thankfully free of the singlet wearing mouth-breathers that seem to occupy all of Pattaya.

FYI, Cambodia is far more visibly active at tackling Paedophilia and child sex tourism in general than Thailand, and you can enjoy a drink legally at all hours and a wee smoke if you are into that sort of thing.

Enjoy being arrested then extorted for a tiny bit of weed and being told to go home when the bars close at 1am in Pattaya though, whatever floats yer boat.

Yeah, Pattaya is much better. :lol:

So Pattaya is a dump because you can't smoke dope and drink all night?

Or the reverse that Pattaya would not be a dump if you could smoke and drink all night?

Good points. TAT needs you right away.

Edited by mark45y

No, IMO Pattaya is a dump because it is the World's foremost sex-tourism destination filled with mongers from all over the World paying poor farm girls for sex.

I merely mentioned smoking and drinking because the other poster indicated Pattaya could be a good place to do both. I indicated Cambodia is currently better for both activities, which it clearly is.

Do try to keep up.

There's a minimart right by the beach down in Kamala Bay where they've started selling cigarettes in packs of one or two, because a pack of twenty now costs around the same as two days' meals. A lot of people can't afford a single pack of smokes anymore, not because the price inflicts on their disposable income, but because they simply cant afford it, at all.

This is not the way to promote good health in the community. Starving people die rather quicker than smokers.

Good points. TAT needs you right away.

They could do with some help. Cambodian and Vietnam tourism in particular have outgrown Thailand percentage wise last year while Thailand has struggled. Vietnam tourism grew by 35%, while Thailand was the lowest in the region by 12%.

The flights to Cambo were full over the weekend and I noticed there are now two more gates at PP airport and Bangkok Airways have put on 4 flights a day now.

Hope it doesn't start to attract the dregs Pattaya seems to though and lower the tone.

Edited by Oberkommando

No, IMO Pattaya is a dump because it is the World's foremost sex-tourism destination filled with mongers from all over the World paying poor farm girls for sex.

I merely mentioned smoking and drinking because the other poster indicated Pattaya could be a good place to do both. I indicated Cambodia is currently better for both activities, which it clearly is.

Do try to keep up.

I'll try and keep up but I fail to see what your rant about Pattaya has to do with illegal cigarettes? Why would you bother us to listen to your parochial views on sin in Pattaya when discussing illegal cigarettes? Sounds like you have an obsession. Smoking dope and drinking and prostitution are the subjects you interjected in this thread. Why not stay on topic instead of exposing us to your inner mind. Keep it to yourself.

Do try to keep up.

I'll try and keep up but I fail to see what your rant about Pattaya has to do with illegal cigarettes? Why would you bother us to listen to your parochial views on sin in Pattaya when discussing illegal cigarettes? Sounds like you have an obsession. Smoking dope and drinking and prostitution are the subjects you interjected in this thread. Why not stay on topic instead of exposing us to your inner mind. Keep it to yourself.

He goes to Cambodia for the Temples.

Hilton, Sheraton, Royal Cliff, Centara Grand, Dusit x2, Marriott, Amari, Royal Cliff to name but a few, all in that dump Pattaya

who would have thunk it?

Still a dump though

who would have thunk it?

Still a dump though

Are these multi national companies all wrong in their investments in Pattaya, years and years after naysayers are saying Pattaya was apparently doomed, ( I've been hearing this for 20 years from bitter or jealous Farangs ) why have they recently invested in Pattaya, you think these multi national companies employ idiots who can only type a few words as a whole prospective financial plan for the company and its shareholders ?

Take Wong Amat Beach, have you seen all the developers building huge luxury condos, maybe they know something that you don't, ever thought about that ?

Or do you know more than them ? whistling.gif

There is a reason that all of these developers are not making huge investments in your home country and are making them in Thailand instead, think about it, its the same reason you stay in Thailand, it's simply more desirable.

Until Russia and Northern Europe isn't freezing cold for many months of the year, Thailand will always be desirable, just get over it.

And yes, Pattaya isn't a reflection of all Thailand, but if you, in your wildest dreams, think people are going to save up all year to go to an Isaan Village for a 3 week holiday, then you are wrong and you know it.

Edited by GM1955

Agreed may I add that to run an inteligence centre you would need inteligent educated people, enough said ?

:rolleyes:

Rrrooooolll another one just like the other one.... Don't bogart me?

jb1

Edited by jimbeam1