Bring My Pet To Thailand

Hi once again!

I was wondering if anyone has ever brought a pet animal to Thailand and if there are special procedures to follow. I've been living in Singapore for 3 years and during this time I have adopted a local cat - or rather, it has adopted me! Now it turns out I might be coming to live and work in Thailand, and among all other things I'm trying to figure out is whether I can take it with me. I have mixed feelings about it, because if on the one hand we two are family now and it would break my heart to leave the little furry brat behind, on the other I know that cats do not usually like to travel and may not adapt to a different environment, so finding someone who might take care of it here might be better. Another factor is customs and quarantine regulations, I wonder how complicated/expensive that might be. I'll be more than grateful for any advice.

Don't know about Singapore but I brought three dogs on three separate trips from the States. Had to have vaccination certificates and a letter from the Federal Government Veterinarian for the state I lived in.

Got to the airport, paid the vet, I think, 300 baht for the Thai paperwork.Didn't even look at my dogs.

Paid customs either 500 or 1000, for which they gave me a receipt, on the way out the door at the airport.

Lickity split.

Contact the Thai consulate where you live and they should be able to send you the regs by email.

I brought a cat from The States 3 years ago. I contacted the airline and got a container for the cat of the approved size for the airline. each is a little different in what they require. If your airline is generous you might be able to store the cat under your seat. I was able to do that for a portion of the trip. The rest of the trip she had to go in freight. Mark your carrier this side up, live animal, etc. Documents had to filled out from the US department of agriculture by a veternarian and then sent to the USDA to be approved with the appropriate fee. At the airport in Thailand you pick up your pet at freight or if you are lucky carry off the plane and head to the office that inspects animals. I forget the name. A man will look at your paperwork, not the pet, and stamp it for the required fee. Not much od a fee as I recall. Carry your pet out with your baggage. Not difficult. A short trip from Singapore should not be hard on your cat. Mine traveled for 24 hours. Mine adjusted fine here after recuperating from slight dehydration despite an attached water bowl on the carrier. Your cat most certainly would prefer to move with you than move in with a stranger. Check with the Thai consolute in Singapore for the required documentation from the Singapore government.

I brought a dog puppi into Thailand from Austria several years ago.

I contacted the embassy in Vienna, that what you should do in Singapore and was ni problem.

The animal must have the right vaccinations in the right time before travelling and hat documented in the right papers.

This papers and the animal will be checked at the airport when you arrive. A small fee has to be paid, I paid only 200 Baht and thats it.

The dog was a puppy but to heavy already and did travel in a special compartement with the luggage.

I also, once in the past sent cats, a mother with her 4 kittens with Thai Airways from Phuket to Khon Kaen with a stop in Bangkok.

I bought a small cage-box and the animals were allowed to travel in the passenger cabin with my GF.

As far as I know, there is usualy weightlimit for animals

allowed to travel in the passenger cabin.

Take your animal with you, its your friend, no?

I brought a cat from The States 3 years ago. I contacted the airline and got a container for the cat of the approved size for the airline. each is a little different in what they require. If your airline is generous you might be able to store the cat under your seat. I was able to do that for a portion of the trip. The rest of the trip she had to go in freight. Mark your carrier this side up, live animal, etc. Documents had to filled out from the US department of agriculture by a veternarian and then sent to the USDA to be approved with the appropriate fee. At the airport in Thailand you pick up your pet at freight or if you are lucky carry off the plane and head to the office that inspects animals. I forget the name. A man will look at your paperwork, not the pet, and stamp it for the required fee. Not much od a fee as I recall. Carry your pet out with your baggage. Not difficult. A short trip from Singapore should not be hard on your cat. Mine traveled for 24 hours. Mine adjusted fine here after recuperating from slight dehydration despite an attached water bowl on the carrier. Your cat most certainly would prefer to move with you than move in with a stranger. Check with the Thai consolute in Singapore for the required documentation from the Singapore government.

Huh? :blink: Maybe her cat can read. When my dogs were puppies, they poured over the L.A. Times every morning.

Fat chance, my cat is not the bookish type, he's more into physical stuff, like climbing and gyrating on my dancing pole and jumping off the window grates onto my bed, preferably while I'm sleeping in it. I tried to get him interested in something more spiritual, but he rips the pages off my books and already chewed the cord of my laptop mouse when I was reading the news online - had to get a cordless mouse for peace of mind. I'm actually raising a terrorist gangster.....

cheesy.gifph34r.gif

Fat chance, my cat is not the bookish type, he's more into physical stuff, like climbing and gyrating on my dancing pole and jumping off the window grates onto my bed, preferably while I'm sleeping in it. I tried to get him interested in something more spiritual, but he rips the pages off my books and already chewed the cord of my laptop mouse when I was reading the news online - had to get a cordless mouse for peace of mind. I'm actually raising a terrorist gangster.....

cheesy.gifph34r.gif

Um, when you say gyrating on your "dancing pole," is that like a two foot high carpeted scratching post for felines or do you actually have a, um, you know, a chrome-like tube that ...oh well, we just met, don't know what I was thinking..... forget I asked....

cheesy.gifph34r.gif

Um, when you say gyrating on your "dancing pole," is that like a two foot high carpeted scratching post for felines or do you actually have a, um, you know, a chrome-like tube that ...oh well, we just met, don't know what I was thinking..... forget I asked....

Aluminium, as a matter of fact. It's just for fun. And for fitness. And I might eventually have to sell it, because it weighs a ton, and it's not the easiest thing you want to carry when moving countries.

p.s. The furry rascal also has a 2-foot carpeted version, but that one doesn't gyrate, and he can't imitate me on it

cheesy.gifph34r.gif

Aluminium, as a matter of fact. It's just for fun. And for fitness. And I might eventually have to sell it, because it weighs a ton, and it's not the easiest thing you want to carry when moving countries.

p.s. The furry rascal also has a 2-foot carpeted version, but that one doesn't gyrate, and he can't imitate me on it

It's a very good thing this wasn't posted in the General Forum. My, I think there would be a record number of replies....:whistling:

I can't see that anybody has rreferred you to the pinned topic at the top of this page "Importing a pet to Thailand", so I thought that I would do it :rolleyes:

Incidentally, I've imported cats to Thailand on four different occasions. Since I had read up in advance and had the right paperwork with me, it's been a cinch every time.

/ Priceless

• 2 months later...

Huh? :blink: Maybe her cat can read. When my dogs were puppies, they poured over the L.A. Times every morning.

You are a dolt

Edited by kirk0233

Thai airways advise you can bring your cat by excess baggage. We did no problem from Bahrain.

You need all the paperwork though, Government vet certificate, vaccinations, tick & flea treatment etc., on a recorded vets booklet or sheet of paper.

Thai airways told us exactly what was required. I think they fly from Singapore.

Book your cat in with the airline two weeks before your flight is due to leave.

We did this via email further to a telephone conversation and gave them copies of all the paper work including kennel/cage weight and dimensions + weight of our cats.

Hope this helps. It was really cheap too. Excess baggage is cheaper than freight prices. Paid when you check in for your flight.

Then as one of the other posts says - on arrival go to the animal office in BKK airport and they stamp your paper work and you part with a little more money.

No quarantine. Easy if you are just bringing a cat.

We had 2 cats and 2 dogs. A little more complicated!!!

Make sure you grab yourself a trolley as there is no one to help you.