Return To Thailand After Deportation

A friend of mine was deported from Thailand almost 10 years ago under unusual circumstances. He essentially got caught up in someone else's argument and though he had committed no crime whatsoever he was summarily deported. A couple of years later he obtained a visa but was refused entry in Bangkok and sent back to the UK. Although his mother is Thai they never got around to obtaining Thai nationality for him and she will not go through the process now as it would involve loss of face............

I know it's unlikely that anyone has been in exactly the same predicament but any advice as to how we might be able to rectify the situation would be very welcome, he grew up there and is very anxious to be able to go back if only for a visit.

Some times I wonder, reading some replys, where does this passport number bul*s**t come from, Thailand records name, date of birth, nationality & passport number.

So if someone has a new passport number all there worries are gone, I don't think so! Even if 10 years ago, if he is on the "Blacklist" he is screwed! He will never get back in, using his current name anyway.

Getting a Thai passport seems the best solution. he already is Thai, but only needs to obtain a Thai birth certificate from teh Thai embassy for the country he was born in. This does require the co-operation of the parents.

Some times I wonder, reading some replys, where does this passport number bul*s**t come from, Thailand records name, date of birth, nationality & passport number.

So if someone has a new passport number all there worries are gone, I don't think so! Even if 10 years ago, if he is on the "Blacklist" he is screwed! He will never get back in, using his current name anyway.

And I suppose there isnt more than one John Smith born on the same day in the UK or US ......sometimes I wonder where people without any knowledge gets all their buljsiht from

Getting a Thai passport seems the best solution. he already is Thai, but only needs to obtain a Thai birth certificate from teh Thai embassy for the country he was born in. This does require the co-operation of the parents.

Cannot he get this through the Thai consulate that he is in. I presume the birth was recorded. Where he may/will get difficulty is getting regstered on Tabian Bahn without their co operation. Re-entering on a new foreign passport is risky and illegal.

I presume he was born abroad, otherwise there would be no problem with his Thai nationality. When born abroad, the Thai birth certificate must come from the embassy for the country one is born in. They are the sole authority to issue a Thai birth certificate.

The requirements are listed on the Thai embassy website.He needs a Thai birt certificate, for which he also need the local birth certificate and the co-operation of the parents.

I had a friend blacklisted . He went back to the UK, changed his name by deed poll, obtained a new British passport with a totally new name, got a 1 year visa from Hull and entered Thailand successfully by land.

However, on his first border run to Poipet after 90 days, he was refused re- entry. The Immigration officer showed him a slip of paper with both his old name and his new name. The game was up.

The UK government's freedom of information isn't as secret as you may think

Immigration aren't as dumb as you think!!!!

I had a friend blacklisted . He went back to the UK, changed his name by deed poll, obtained a new British passport with a totally new name, got a 1 year visa from Hull and entered Thailand successfully by land.

However, on his first border run to Poipet after 90 days, he was refused re- entry. The Immigration officer showed him a slip of paper with both his old name and his new name. The game was up.

The UK government's freedom of information isn't as secret as you may think

Immigration aren't as dumb as you think!!!!

awesome !

The only people who have an unfettered right to enter Thailand are Thai citizens. You can't deport a citizen.

The OP's 'friend' should get his Thai passport organised and enter on that.

If you acquire citizenship by naturalisation (rather than by birth), can you not be stripped of your newly acquired citizenship?

There's one for the legal eagles!!

The only people who have an unfettered right to enter Thailand are Thai citizens. You can't deport a citizen.

The OP's 'friend' should get his Thai passport organised and enter on that.

If you acquire citizenship by naturalisation (rather than by birth), can you not be stripped of your newly acquired citizenship?

There's one for the legal eagles!!

In limited circumstances, someone who acquires citizenship via naturalisation can be stripped of that citizenship of they have been shown to have acquired it under false pretenses or are acting contrary to national interests.

In the case of the OP's friend, that would not apply. He would be a Thai citizen by birth, due to having a Thai parent, and would be as unequivocally Thai as anyone born in Thailand to a Thai citizen. No chance of stripping him of citizenship there.

As others have mentioned, he is, by law already Thai. He just needs to get the paperwork to prove it.