Same Sex Marriage In Holland

inmysights

I was recently approached by a friend of a friend (Thai) to draft an email to the Thai Ministry of Affairs in The Hague, requesting advice as to how best to proceed with the stamping of the original Dutch Marriage Certificate, as requested by the SNS Bank in Holland.

This young Thai man had entered into a legal Marriage in Holland some six years ago. His Dutch husband died last year leaving no Will.

The SNS Bank are happy to deal with this Thai National upon receipt of a set of documents stamped by the Thai Ministry of Affairs in The Hague, most importantly the original Marriage Certificate, which I have seen and which is in his possession.

The Dutch family of the deceased husband are unwilling to assist. This Thai National has visited both the Dutch Embassy in Bangkok and the Dutch Consulate, neither of which are willing to help. And as same sex marriage is not recognised in Thailand, the Thai Embassy have been unhelpful also.

To date, there has been no response from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in the Hague (unsurprisingly) and this man doesn't have the resources to fly to Holland to visit them.

I don't know what else to suggest, and so am asking on this forum for any advice. I personally feel his chances of acquiring any assets of his late spouse's estate to be very slim, but the fact that the SNS Bank are willing to at least deal with him gives at least a glimmer of hope?

Any advice welcome, which I could then pass on to him. He's a nice intelligent guy somewhat up against a brick wall.

Thankyou.

Since the original marriage certificate is Dutch, there is no need to get the Thai embassy involved.

1. Go to the Dutch embassy with the original certificate and ask if they can provide him with a certified copy of the original.

2. If that is not possible, get a copy from the registar of the city council where they where married. Some even allow you to apply online.

Since the original marriage certificate is Dutch, there is no need to get the Thai embassy involved.

1. Go to the Dutch embassy with the original certificate and ask if they can provide him with a certified copy of the original.

2. If that is not possible, get a copy from the registar of the city council where they where married. Some even allow you to apply online.

Thank you Mario. He told me the Dutch Embassy were not at all helpful (I'm guessing perhaps because he doesn't have a Dutch passport). However, the bank require the marriage certificate to be certified by the Thai Ministry of Affairs in Holland. He already retains the original marriage certificate, which comes in the form of a 'blue booklet', and so applying for a copy from the registrar bit redundant.

I believe both Thai and Dutch administrative bodies being 'awkward'. Perhaps (a) from the Dutch side, he's still a Thai National with no Dutch passport and, (B) from the Thai side, same sex marriage not recognised in Thailand.

He hasn't the wherewith all to travel to the Hague for the stamp. This is his predicament. He asked me if I knew anyone in Holland who'd just pop along and have it stamped for him. I don't.

Edited by inmysights

It sounds like the SNS Bank are the ones being "awkward" and who have no idea what they should be doing. As Mario said, there is no reason for the Thai Embassy to be involved with the marriage certificate at all: it is a Dutch marriage, registered in Holland - there is no legal requirement for any involvement by the Thai embassy whatsoever.

The Dutch law on inheritance is very clear for married couples: since 2003 the widow/widower has sole right of inheritance unless there are any children aged under 18 (in which case they can claim for care and upbringing) or 21 (for maintenance); in those cases it is up to the child to make a claim on the estate.

There is no "probate" as such in the Netherlands and property transfer on the death of a Dutch citizen is very simple. On receipt of the appropriate documentation (in this case the death certificate and the marriage certificate, plus the Thai's identity documents such as a certified copy of his passport ) a Dutch civil law notary issues a "certificate of succession" showing who the entitled beneficiaries are. This is then used to claim any and all property belonging to the deceased; without it a bank should not (and legally cannot) release any funds to anyone.

Although its a simple process I'm afraid that its not just a question of popping into the Thai Embassy to have his marriage certificate stamped and then the bank (and anywhere else) being "happy to deal" with him and hand over his deceased husband's property. He has to go through the proper channels and to get the certificate of succession; that in itself is a simple process and one which the Dutch Embassy should be able to help him with - they may even have a civil notary at the Embassy. Any problem with the Dutch Embassy probably stems not from his being Thai but from his asking for the wrong thing; I would suggest that he goes to the Embassy with a Dutch person, preferably one who understands and knows about the certificate of succession, taking with him their marriage certificate, his deceased husband's death certficate, and a certified copy of his passport and Thai ID card. If they have a civil law notary on the Embassy staff, as most European embassies do, then he can get the certificate on the spot (for a fee, but a lot less than a trip to Holland!) or if not they should at the very least be able to tell him how to get in touch with one.

Off topic, I am afraid, but TO ANY FARANGS WHO ARE MARRIED OR WHO HAVE A CIVIL PARTNERSHIP WITH A THAI: PLAN FOR THE WORST, LET YOUR HUSBAND / WIFE / PARTNER KNOW WHAT TO DO IN THE EVENT OF YOUR DEATH, AND MAKE A WILL!

^A double thumbs up for that last remark- I've seen it happen all too often, especially as the foreign partner is not infrequently a fair bit older than the Thai.

Another similar piece of advice would be to reconsider the 'kindness' of supporting a partner so he doesn't 'need' to work- keep that up for 5 years and you may be contributing to making someone permanently unemployable. Only if you are willing and have ALREADY set aside the money to compensate such a partner for that eventuality should you even start by allowing that to happen.

Off topic, I am afraid, but TO ANY FARANGS WHO ARE MARRIED OR WHO HAVE A CIVIL PARTNERSHIP WITH A THAI: PLAN FOR THE WORST, LET YOUR HUSBAND / WIFE / PARTNER KNOW WHAT TO DO IN THE EVENT OF YOUR DEATH, AND MAKE A WILL!

Also, make sure your partner will have quick access to sufficient cash for daily living expenses - perhaps 6 months' living expenses in a Thai bank account. As this case highlights, it can take a long time to free up assets overseas.

It sounds like the SNS Bank are the ones being "awkward" and who have no idea what they should be doing. As Mario said, there is no reason for the Thai Embassy to be involved with the marriage certificate at all: it is a Dutch marriage, registered in Holland - there is no legal requirement for any involvement by the Thai embassy whatsoever.

The Dutch law on inheritance is very clear for married couples: since 2003 the widow/widower has sole right of inheritance unless there are any children aged under 18 (in which case they can claim for care and upbringing) or 21 (for maintenance); in those cases it is up to the child to make a claim on the estate.

There is no "probate" as such in the Netherlands and property transfer on the death of a Dutch citizen is very simple. On receipt of the appropriate documentation (in this case the death certificate and the marriage certificate, plus the Thai's identity documents such as a certified copy of his passport ) a Dutch civil law notary issues a "certificate of succession" showing who the entitled beneficiaries are. This is then used to claim any and all property belonging to the deceased; without it a bank should not (and legally cannot) release any funds to anyone.

Although its a simple process I'm afraid that its not just a question of popping into the Thai Embassy to have his marriage certificate stamped and then the bank (and anywhere else) being "happy to deal" with him and hand over his deceased husband's property. He has to go through the proper channels and to get the certificate of succession; that in itself is a simple process and one which the Dutch Embassy should be able to help him with - they may even have a civil notary at the Embassy. Any problem with the Dutch Embassy probably stems not from his being Thai but from his asking for the wrong thing; I would suggest that he goes to the Embassy with a Dutch person, preferably one who understands and knows about the certificate of succession, taking with him their marriage certificate, his deceased husband's death certficate, and a certified copy of his passport and Thai ID card. If they have a civil law notary on the Embassy staff, as most European embassies do, then he can get the certificate on the spot (for a fee, but a lot less than a trip to Holland!) or if not they should at the very least be able to tell him how to get in touch with one.

Thank you very much for this comprehensive and very helpful post. The Thai National in question may very well have been ill advised by the bank. His English is excellent and he can also speak Dutch.

I will pass this information on to him re the Dutch Notary and certificate of succession. Thanks again.

And I agree with the rest of the posters, make a Wil! So much easier, and none of gets out of here alive :D

Agree 100% - wills and other contingencies are all too often overlooked until it is too late. My partner and I have single signature joint accounts, avoiding any probate problems or delays. This may be a step too far for most people, but it is quite possible to have joint accounts where only one signatory can use the account until the bank receives his death certificate, when the other account holder's signature is automatically activated - this avoids Inheritance Tax for those who aren't (or can't be) married or have a Civil Partnership, as well as any delays over probate.

IJWT, I agee with you about mistaken "kindness" supporting your partner so he doesn't need to work unless its a life long commitment (for his lifetime), but in my case its selfishness rather than kindness; if I was working we would be apart for that time anyway, but as I'm lucky not to be working any more then that is time when we would be apart and for me that's time wasted. Having said that, I have made sure that he is properly trained and genuinely qualified in what he enjoys and would like to do if the need arose.

inmysights, SweatiePie is Thai but he's a pretty well trained international/European lawyer - lucky he didn't ask for a "fee", as that probably would be as much as "a trip to Holland!".

Thank you very much for this comprehensive and very helpful post. The Thai National in question may very well have been ill advised by the bank. His English is excellent and he can also speak Dutch.

I will pass this information on to him re the Dutch Notary and certificate of succession. Thanks again.

And I agree with the rest of the posters, make a Wil! So much easier, and none of gets out of here alive :D

I agree with the content of SweatiePie's message.

I think SNS Bank is way off track with their demand for a legalised Thai Embassy document since Thailand or Embassy has NOTHING to do with it and the widower should ask for assistance from a reliable Dutch individual in BKK to go with him to the Dutch Embassy and ask for help with legalising the Marriage Certificate (if he fails, please contact me per PM and I can see if I can do something via an acquaintance in BKK who knows the Dutch Ambassador).

The Thai Embassy/Consulate General cannot even legalise a DUTCH document, the same as a Dutch Embassy cannot legalise a THAI document. Therefore SNS Bank is way out of line.

A Dutch Notary should be able to help the Thai widower and I also agree that the widower MUST have full access to the inheritance; after full filling to the Dutch Inheritance Tax laws!!;

but he shouldn't worry too much since the amount -free of tax- is pretty high for the legal spouse/widower; now € 600.000 (almost Baht 25.7 Million) which was € 520.000 before; it depends WHEN the husband died).

But he must act quickly since Dutch Tax Authorities will "address" their correspondence to the deceased's living address and/or family/husband...IF they can/know..... since they might not be able to track the widower since he is in Thailand.

He should therefore also send a letter to the Dutch Tax Authorities (see link below) to inform them about his situation, being the widower.

Of course they will also ask for proof and therefore his official Marriage Certificate from Holland is of the UTMOST importance.

Therefore he should also write a letter/email/fax or even phone the City/Town Hall of the city/town/village where they married since the administration of the Town Hall is also important if they cannot find or know about the Thai widower!

In most cases the Doctor who declared the husband as "deceased" has the duty to inform Town Hall of the residence of the deceased.

All-in-all not so easy for the widower but his best option is to ask for assistance from an Official Dutch Notary office in the town where the deceased lived.

If the OP needs further assistance, let me know.

* http://www.belasting...ticulier/erven/

Good luck to the widower!

LaoPo

^A double thumbs up for that last remark- I've seen it happen all too often, especially as the foreign partner is not infrequently a fair bit older than the Thai.

Another similar piece of advice would be to reconsider the 'kindness' of supporting a partner so he doesn't 'need' to work- keep that up for 5 years and you may be contributing to making someone permanently unemployable. Only if you are willing and have ALREADY set aside the money to compensate such a partner for that eventuality should you even start by allowing that to happen.

I agree with this. It's in line with "give a man a fish and he has food for the day" - repeat daily for five years until you get bored, and he has nothing. Teach him how to fish, or help him get an education and a job, and you are really helping him.

IJWT, I agee with you about mistaken "kindness" supporting your partner so he doesn't need to work unless its a life long commitment (for his lifetime), but in my case its selfishness rather than kindness; if I was working we would be apart for that time anyway, but as I'm lucky not to be working any more then that is time when we would be apart and for me that's time wasted. Having said that, I have made sure that he is properly trained and genuinely qualified in what he enjoys and would like to do if the need arose.

When the need arises, do you think he will still get a job if he hasn't worked for several years?

What is a "Thai Ministry of Affairs" in Den Haag?

Not knowing anything about Dutch inheritance law, I can well imagine that the Thai embassy has nothing to do with this, as Thailand does not recognise same-sex marriages.

I understand he has a marriage certificate, and the bank needs a certified copy of it. I don't know about a civil notary at the Dutch embassy, but I can ask my friends at the embassy whether they represent this mysterious Ministry, if I find out what it is. My feeling is that they mean the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Can you write the name of the Ministry in Dutch language? Maybe something got lost in translation.

I also know a Thai notary public who can certify documents for foreign legal purposes.

It is ONLY the "notaris" who deals with the inheretance AND the tax office. Call any notary office in the town the deciesed lived and they will be able to tell you which notaris is doing the work. He will know the decieced was married since it is his job to find any spouses.

The notaris will pay the tax office and whatever sum is left will go to the widower.

I agree with the content of SweatiePie's message.

I think SNS Bank is way off track with their demand for a legalised Thai Embassy document since Thailand or Embassy has NOTHING to do with it and the widower should ask for assistance from a reliable Dutch individual in BKK to go with him to the Dutch Embassy and ask for help with legalising the Marriage Certificate (if he fails, please contact me per PM and I can see if I can do something via an acquaintance in BKK who knows the Dutch Ambassador).

The Thai Embassy/Consulate General cannot even legalise a DUTCH document, the same as a Dutch Embassy cannot legalise a THAI document. Therefore SNS Bank is way out of line.

A Dutch Notary should be able to help the Thai widower and I also agree that the widower MUST have full access to the inheritance; after full filling to the Dutch Inheritance Tax laws!!;

but he shouldn't worry too much since the amount -free of tax- is pretty high for the legal spouse/widower; now € 600.000 (almost Baht 25.7 Million) which was € 520.000 before; it depends WHEN the husband died).

But he must act quickly since Dutch Tax Authorities will "address" their correspondence to the deceased's living address and/or family/husband...IF they can/know..... since they might not be able to track the widower since he is in Thailand.

He should therefore also send a letter to the Dutch Tax Authorities (see link below) to inform them about his situation, being the widower.

Of course they will also ask for proof and therefore his official Marriage Certificate from Holland is of the UTMOST importance.

Therefore he should also write a letter/email/fax or even phone the City/Town Hall of the city/town/village where they married since the administration of the Town Hall is also important if they cannot find or know about the Thai widower!

In most cases the Doctor who declared the husband as "deceased" has the duty to inform Town Hall of the residence of the deceased.

All-in-all not so easy for the widower but his best option is to ask for assistance from an Official Dutch Notary office in the town where the deceased lived.

If the OP needs further assistance, let me know.

* http://www.belasting...ticulier/erven/

Good luck to the widower!

LaoPo

Thanks to everyone for their replies. The Thai in question was supposed to have come to my house yesterday morning to pick up info from Sweetiepie but apparently became involved in a prang with a bike. I will simply refer him to this site and thread and he can pick the bones out of the info kindly given. He can speak, read and write good English. My remit was simply to send an email to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in The Hague, to which still no response, which is why I thought I'd try here. Enough already.

Thanks again, and expect a new member soon :)

When the need arises, do you think he will still get a job if he hasn't worked for several years?

Tom, off-topic but IJWT started the diversion and the original subject seems to have run its course. I'm not quite sure why you have changed "if" to "when", however if the need arose he would not need to get "a job".

Our house and other land are already in his name, as are our cars, bikes, etc. All my assets are in joint accounts and although neither of us are extravagant even if we spend everything we have I will still have an index-linked pension which he will become entitled to on my demise which, at least in Thailand, would be sufficient to put him in the "upper-middle" income bracket enabling him to be self-employed; if he were to decide to work it would be out of choice rather than financial necessity.

I can understand the point in a partner working if you are working too, as unless you are working together that is time when you would otherwise be apart, but if you are not working then unless you either can't afford it or your commitment is only limited (the two somehow usually go together) I can't understand why you would want or encourage a partner to work under these circumstances; he can work if he wants to, that's his choice and he does occasionally, but I can't understand why I would want him to spend most of the waking day somewhere else.

Edited by LeCharivari

My point being that if the money isn't already somehow in his name, and the working partners die or go away or become incompetent to help somehow, the 'house husbands' are really left with nothing. At least wives have estates, 'next of kin' status, alimonies, legal settlements, etc. as part of due course. So if that isn't in pretty strong black and white and the homebound partner has become unemployable, then the situation really IS very, very selfish and inconsiderate.

If what I'm saying doesn't apply to you, then that shoe doesn't fit. However, I have seen this happen *numerous* times in the gay world, especially in Thailand. There are happier stories, too, and sounds like yours might work out to be one of them.

I agree with you, IJWT, as I said before - it all depends on the situation and I have seen just as many Thai g/f's and wives dumped unceremoniously or left to fend for themselves when a husband or b/f left (both figuratively and literally) as I have gay partners. "Official" wives may have NOK status, etc, but that doesn't make it any better when they are left with nothing.

As for "my story", we've been together 10 years so far and spend more time together now than we did 10 years ago, so things are working out pretty well.

My point was that, having made my position and my commitment clear ("its a life long commitment (for his lifetime)") I found it a bit offensive that it had become a "when" rather than an "if", and that I should in any case be worrying about whether he could "get a job" after "several years" with me. Some relationships are different to others but I find the idea that long term relationships with Thais only last "for five years until you get bored" so you should "teach him how to fish" and "help him get an education and a job" as part of that relationship to be a peculiar one.

BUMP:

Strange,...the Dutch husband of his Thai male-spouse died..Thai husband has problems and asked a friend-of-friend for advise who posted the OP and no further messages from Thai husband who speaks English as well as Dutch..

Well....we'll see...:coffee1:

LaoPo

BUMP:

Strange,...the Dutch husband of his Thai male-spouse died..Thai husband has problems and asked a friend-of-friend for advise who posted the OP and no further messages from Thai husband who speaks English as well as Dutch..

LaoPo

Strange:

the case is 9 days old and if the Dutch husband died the Thai widower should act immediately; The OP was trying to help the widower but maybe the chap isn't interested in the inheritage...(in case the Dutch husband had many debts, it's better NOT to accept the inheritage; if the Thai widower would do so, he would be responsible for the debts!! and that could be quite dangerous for the Thai widower)..or found money for a ticket and is on his way to Holland and didn't bother to answer the OP Gentleman :rolleyes:

LaoPo

BUMP:

LaoPo

Strange:

the case is 9 days old and if the Dutch husband died the Thai widower should act immediately; The OP was trying to help the widower but maybe the chap isn't interested in the inheritage...(in case the Dutch husband had many debts, it's better NOT to accept the inheritage; if the Thai widower would do so, he would be responsible for the debts!! and that could be quite dangerous for the Thai widower)..or found money for a ticket and is on his way to Holland and didn't bother to answer the OP Gentleman :rolleyes:

LaoPo

Strange: You are replying to yourself.

Not strange: The widower might be interested in the inheritage, but not in ThaiVisa.com.

BUMP:

LaoPo

Strange:

LaoPo

Strange: You are replying to yourself.

Not strange: The widower might be interested in the inheritage, but not in ThaiVisa.com.

Strange: you noticed I replied to my own message; I knew :)

Not strange? hmm...the OP told earlier he heard nothing anymore but the widower ASKED for his help since he had no money to travel to Holland and the OP kind of withdrew from the case. It's not nice if someone asks for help and than..silence.

We were only trying to help and for a foreigner these kind of things is not so easy; even for citizens, inheritance cases are quite complicated.

Up to him.

LaoPo