Phones From The Border

cheshiregent

I"ve bought 2 phones in the past 2 years from MaiSai. One worked and the other didn't. Both cost about 2000 baht and were SUPPOSED to be Nokia phones, but weren't. And, even though they looked like the real thing (right down to the box and instructions), they were copies made in China with visible differences if you know what to look for. The last one I bought lasted one day before it quit, and the repair men in Chiang Mai said it couldn't be fixed... even with a new battery. It LOOKS like a Nokia C3 but is just a piece of junk.

So my advice is to stay away unless you can REALLY be sure it's the real thing. Even then you can be stung.

Take my advice, don't buy them....they are crap! They all have generic internals and software, when you are there pick out 2 or 3 Nokla's, Yes Nokla is written on some of the boxes and power them up.....they are all the same software.

Easy test on the IPhone......turn one on and hold it horizontal and then vertically.....does the screen switch from landscape to portrait, just like a real IPhone? No.

Have bought a couple in the past, but they only lasted a few months....absolutely nowhere as good as the genuine article...buy one and compare it to an original!

Don't buy the knock off's from the borders.

Wifey wanted a new mobile for a cheaper price, but then could not send or receive sms messages. Heard of many other problems with the knock off's also from many people.

Dont' buy old stale cigarettes there also.

Be forewarned of electronics and knock off brands.

Edited by TacoBoy

You get exactly what you pay for. A piece of crap. You would be better buying a small Samsung for about the same. It has WiFi, Internet, GPS, android OS camera etc and are very good phones and you are getting a phone from a reputable company with a warranty.

I think I paid just over 3000 baht for mine :D

My Iphone was great

They come from the same place that makes the real ones so read up on them, know what to look for, haggle the price and make sure the one you test is the one that they give you

Sawasdee Khrup, PlanetX,

While it's true that the components inside both genuine Apple iPhones and the cheap copies now being offered are all made in China, you can be sure that the components are not the same, and not the same quality (the clones have the cheapest crap parts the wizards of Shenzen and Guangzhou can find), and that the clones are easy to break, and, once broken, (in the case of the internal electronic components) cannot be repaired, and, of course, there is no warranty service.

An unlikely, but possible, hypothesis: some of the parts in the iPhone clones may actually have been ... uhhh ... diverted from suppliers of the real Apple factories, such as Qualcomm.

Although, it might be possible, if you showed up in Shenzen, and could locate a sweat-ship where iPhone clones are made, and brought several cases of Tsingtao beer, you would probably be recieved like a visiting ambassador, cause a great deal of merriment, and you might walk away with a new clone, unsteadily: of course, for the price of that trip, you could probably purchase a few legal iPhones.

best, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

A mate got a iphone 4 copy for 1500bt and loves it... so luck of the draw. IMO.

So to some it worth the chance to get a copy for 1500 as opposed to original for nearly x20 the cost.

Looks and feels no different to me... yet it did lock up on him once yet soon fixed for 300bt. So it been offline 2 days in last 6 months.

How long it lasts is another matter... he got it on the Burma side... double on the Thai side.

Only difference I see is he using a Nokia charger- you would think they could copy the charger as the do the iphone so very well.

Goodluck...