Roasted Chili Smoked Fish

DrTom

The description of the dish is confusing. It sounds like the fish is smoked. I'm pretty sure it's not. Probably thinking of

น้ำพริกเผาปลา (Nam phrik phao plaa) - Fish with roasted chilli paste (also known as chilli jam). There are at least a couple of common versions of this dish. One grills the fish, the other stir fries it.

You can make chilli jam from scratch, but most people just buy it in a jar from the local supermarket.

Edited by AyG

I do appreciate the comment, and I think you description is corect. I actually purchased this as a coarse ground powder with small particles of fish in the ground pwder. I am not sure how to use it, but I was told that it can be used in soups and for preparing other Thai dishes

OK, I think my original diagnosis is wrong. I now think what you have is a dry form of น้ำพริก (nam phrik). It's used the same way as the paste versions - served with a selection of different vegetables (some sometimes blanched first), with the vegetables being dipped in the nam phrik before being eaten. Some people also like to sprinkle it over steamed rice for extra flavour.