Samui - Lawless?

Samui is more like Sicily with all the gangsters controlling the real estate, hotels, bars etc...but i still feel safe there.

I don't see any differnece between Samui and anywhere else in Thailand other than perhaps more naive Farangs getting involved in areas they have no business getting involved in. Person shot over property or land dealing in Thailand?? Ho hum. This guy got off better than my friend, old Kamnan Seng, who resisted some agribusiness up north, and was subsequently beaten, doused with gasoline and set afire. Now that entire region, once filled with small agricultural plots, is one large corporate orchard.

No difference to the rest of Thailand ? Have you ever spent a considerable ammount of time (considerable being more than a 2 week holiday) in any other part of Thailand ?

The order of preference for me is as follows.....

1. Phuket

2. Bangkok

3. Pattaya

4. Samui

This is only in preference based on what tend to be the top 4 most popular places visited by us farangs, otherwise to rank Samui as a 4th is an insult to the rest of Thailand !

The farang there really have to be the lowest of the lowest when it comes to Expats in Thailand, this im relating to LT expats not holiday makers. As for the owners of 20 million baht homes do they live there ? The answer is no, the majority dont !

Its nothing more than a lawless, lifeless rock in the sea !!! Bangkok (rip off) Airways, who charge 3 times the cost of a flight to Bangkok compared to the same flight from Phuket !..... Rain EVERY day ! ...... Sand all over the road causing more accidents with tourists in one month than the other places get put together..... A beach that has so much sh*t washed upon it nobody even dares to set foot on there anymore….. Fighting in Chaweng almost every night…

The list could go on, im just so glad I don’t have to live there anymore ! :o

Just a few generalisations there!

Do you all really think the long termers in samui are worse than Pattaya?

It really seems Samui is a place you eigher love or hate. Luckily i'm not jaded.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Samui is more like Sicily with all the gangsters controlling the real estate, hotels, bars etc...but i still feel safe there.

I don't see any differnece between Samui and anywhere else in Thailand other than perhaps more naive Farangs getting involved in areas they have no business getting involved in. Person shot over property or land dealing in Thailand?? Ho hum. This guy got off better than my friend, old Kamnan Seng, who resisted some agribusiness up north, and was subsequently beaten, doused with gasoline and set afire. Now that entire region, once filled with small agricultural plots, is one large corporate orchard.

No difference to the rest of Thailand ? Have you ever spent a considerable ammount of time (considerable being more than a 2 week holiday) in any other part of Thailand ?

1. Phuket

2. Bangkok

3. Pattaya

4. Samui

This is only in preference based on what tend to be the top 4 most popular places visited by us farangs, otherwise to rank Samui as a 4th is an insult to the rest of Thailand !

The farang there really have to be the lowest of the lowest when it comes to Expats in Thailand, this im relating to LT expats not holiday makers. As for the owners of 20 million baht homes do they live there ? The answer is no, the majority dont !

Its nothing more than a lawless, lifeless rock in the sea !!! Bangkok (rip off) Airways, who charge 3 times the cost of a flight to Bangkok compared to the same flight from Phuket !..... Rain EVERY day ! ...... Sand all over the road causing more accidents with tourists in one month than the other places get put together..... A beach that has so much sh*t washed upon it nobody even dares to set foot on there anymore….. Fighting in Chaweng almost every night…

Just a few generalisations there!

Do you all really think the long termers in samui are worse than Pattaya?

It really seems Samui is a place you eigher love or hate. Luckily i'm not jaded.

Yes, I really think the Samui expat community is a lower class than Pattaya ! To a short spell visitor on the surface it can appear all nice & flash but in actual fact its far from it.

Samui is poor mans Phuket. Whereas Pattaya is simply Bangkok with a beach ! That’s how I see the comparisons.

Samui & Pattaya ? Where would you rather be ? A place full of sex pests who’s only intention is to prey on young girls and not you, or a place where every one wants to fight you or shoot you ?

[Yes, I really think the Samui expat community is a lower class than Pattaya !  To a short spell visitor on the surface it can appear all nice & flash but in actual fact its far from it.

Samui is poor mans Phuket.  Whereas Pattaya is simply Bangkok with a beach !  That’s how I see the comparisons.

Samui & Pattaya ?  Where would you rather be ?    A place full of sex pests who’s only intention is to prey on young girls and not you, or a place where every one wants to fight you or shoot you ?

Where everyone wants to fight you or shoot you???? I realize that statement is likely a bit of an exageration but I just don't understand all this Samui bashing.

I've been there many many times and have done normal things there in terms of going to the beach, drank beer in the bars in Lamai, Chaweng and other places, drank coffee in Starbucks, seen some waterfalls, bungyjumped been out to Nathon, Lipa Noi, Maenam etc. I've never seen any problem. I mean fights can happen, I've never seen one on Samui but can imagine a place like Soi Green Mango could be a likely place for one. I saw a fight once at Nana Plaza but that doesn't mean it's a bad place.

I've just never had a problem with other farangs or Thais on Samui (or for that matter anywhere in Thailand). I don't get sloppy drunk and crazy and don't look like stereotypical Pattaya scumbag (I said, stereotypical, not all Pattaya falangs belong to that stereotype) but I do go out and enjoy the nightlife.

I've met lots of real estate people on Samui and most of them are pretty unprofessional by western standards, but you can't blame them for trying to make a buck furthermore, they are no worse than the realtors I've met in BKK or Phuket.

To be honest, I look at Samui about 95% from a business perspective, I am trying to make some money buying and selling land there. Since it's going crazy price wise, buying pieces of land and reselling smaller pieces of land is very profitable. Hope my greed isn't getting in the way of my vision but based on what I have seen, it's no different from anywhere else in Thailand. That is, Samui is as different from Phuket as Chiang Mai is from Pattaya or as anywhere in Thailand is from anywhere else in Thailand. They are all different in their own ways but Samui being bad???? The Samui bashing is just lost on me.

There are problems there like flooding and infrastructure but that's not the fault of these alleged dirtball farangs. I realize that some Samui bashers have lived there for some time and therefore would have a better perspective than I but I wonder if they would be bashing Pattaya or Phuket if they lived there for an extended period?

Personally, I avoid Samui and Pattaya. Never liked Pattaya, even when I was single...Samui was fun for a week or so...after that, the honking horns, speakers blaring about muay thai fights, and full moon party crazies got to be too much...I love Phuket, but don't really fancy Patong either. IMHO.

Same as anywhere

Stay clean

Be nice

Be ethical

Pay your bills.

No problem.

Unfort not too many of the above qualities in the game today.

Now lived in samui for almost a year and have enjoyed the beautiful island. The shooting of a property agent today however spells out the danger for anyone involved in property here, which frankly to some extent is nearly everyone. The end of the dream?

Bingo , you hit donley in the head there . Or is it nail ? anyways you are correct

1. Phuket

2. Bangkok

3. Pattaya

4. Samui

I've spent countless years in LOS. But the reference was to "Samui is more like Sicily with all the gangsters controlling the real estate, hotels, bars" and not to the relative quantity and quality of the Farang population.

Im with craigt3365.

I used to love Samui but now only return to see my brother who still lives there. Is there anything "Thai" left at all? Yeah I know that there are still places on the back roads etc where you can get half decent food but what the ###### happened to Chaweng.... and what is that monstrosity of a building at Koh Matalan end that is visible almost the full length of the beach? Height of a palm tree :D:o

Yep, indeed.

That is why he feels so at home. :o

But it not really bothers me if someone is looking and thinking strange thoughts, i know better. Only when they actually act on it which unfortunately happens. But what can you expect of a lager lout or hooligan, for them it is normal behaviour! :D

Funny how the age gap thing always strikes a raw nerve :D

It wasn't actually supposed to be snide, it was a question, as a large age gap could make a two weeker assume the lass in question may indeed be a hoe.

Khun Jean answered and said the age gap was small, so yes agreed, there are definatley midless <deleted> out there who need to behave themselves.

I didn't mean by having an age gap people have the right to offend you. I meant it could be a reason that attracts them.

We've been here a while, and know the deal, these two weekers don't.

That was what i was trying to say, it wasn't aimed at being offensive, although reading back I can see how it could have read that way. :D

Anyway I spose we'll all have to agree to disagree, personally I like Samui, I also like Chiang Mai, Krabi, and areas of Phuket, not Patong though.

I like the way everywhere in Thailand is very different, makes traveling around interesting.

Some of you guys need to chill a bit though and stop Bashing everywhere.

Sure Samui has it's downsides, of which there are many, but that goes pretty much for anywhere in Thailand, no where is perfect.

If you stay away from the shity bar areas, your unlikely to get any hassle, I guess the tesco lotus incident would be pretty annoying though.

Basically stand up for yourself, and tell yobs to mind there own business, and go to one of the bars if they need company, and not harras normal girls in Public areas who have nothing to do with the profession.

I think you'll find this happens country wide, not just in Samui.

I actually find it much more annoying how Thai's treat their own people who are from N.E, than how a few pissed up louts behave. You can put the lout in his place, maybe they will see the error of their ways. Thai's won't change how they feel about Issan people as it's something that has been ingraved into them since a very young age. :o

I agree with you about the Thai's amongst themselves. It is sometimes pure racism.

I just gave my opinion about living there which of course is completely different as having a holiday. If things are constantly the same it will get to you. I can give a lot examples how good we were treated on Samui too. As i said before on another thread i think, there are many many good things and a few bad things. But the bad things are really bad. So bad it is not worth the time and worries. Especially if you have two small children. Your outlook on live is a lot different with children.

You don't want people to drive on their motorcy through your garden because it is an easy way to the beach. You don't want them to yell and laugh loud at 3 o'clock at night (every night). You don't want to witness arguments between a lagerlout and his girl for the night, etc etc.

These things happen constantly in high season, low season is great.

In high season everything is full, so 'night life' people who would normaly stay close to the action are spread all over the island and take their 'shit' with them.

The problem with Samui is (and you live there), you can not escape it. Well you could go live somewhere inside in the jungle, but that is a little extreme to have to change into a hermit.

I can compare a few places in Thailand (Bangkok, HuaHin, Chumphon, Phuket) where i have been for some time. Sorry to say Samui is the least attractive of those places for permanent living, thanks to the many farang on their cheap packaged deals.

And the more people complain about things are on Samui, the more things will change.

Yeah, I agree with those points, there are many issues that need addressing.

Roads, louts, taxi drivers, the increase in Thai teenage gangs (this is becoming a problem).

As I see it the major problems in samui are the roads, the sewage and waste desposal problems, rubbish strewn around the island. That monstrocity on the hill near Koh Matland, defo over the height limit. As far as i've seen, this is the only building that is seriously over the legal height limit.

I do hope that the more people complain things will change.

It would be nice to have samui back to how it was a few years ago, but that's not going to happen, the best we can hope for is these issues get addressed beofre they go beyond the point where they can be easily fixed.

[

Yes, I really think the Samui expat community is a lower class than Pattaya !  To a short spell visitor on the surface it can appear all nice & flash but in actual fact its far from it.

Samui is poor mans Phuket.  Whereas Pattaya is simply Bangkok with a beach !  That’s how I see the comparisons.

Samui & Pattaya ?  Where would you rather be ?    A place full of sex pests who’s only intention is to prey on young girls and not you, or a place where every one wants to fight you or shoot you ?

The people who are long time residents of Thailand or the Expats of Thailand

are far more behaved than tourists. I have no idea what planet you are on.

Obviously you don’t stay in Thailand for more than two weeks at a time to come out with that rubbish.

Have a nice day :o

I've always been fond of Samui, particularly Lamai, and in a way I have found it lawless but it hasn't worked against me - yet.

By that I mean I have not required police help at any time, instead I have had no problems from the police when riding a bike without a lid.

I can't say the same for Phuket.

Scamp, its called "law" ! Which is what the argument is all about ! Samui doesnt have them !

Maybe you think that driving without a helmet is cool in Samui ? I would like to hear from you when someone close to you (or even you) has his head crushed while driving around Chaweng while "avoiding the law" !

[

Yes, I really think the Samui expat community is a lower class than Pattaya !   To a short spell visitor on the surface it can appear all nice & flash but in actual fact its far from it.

Samui is poor mans Phuket.   Whereas Pattaya is simply Bangkok with a beach !  That’s how I see the comparisons.

Samui & Pattaya ?   Where would you rather be ?    A place full of sex pests who’s only intention is to prey on young girls and not you, or a place where every one wants to fight you or shoot you ?

The people who are long time residents of Thailand or the Expats of Thailand

are far more behaved than tourists. I have no idea what planet you are on.

Obviously you don’t stay in Thailand for more than two weeks at a time to come out with that rubbish.

Have a nice day :o

I think the expats in Pattaya are the worst...at least some. I laughed my ass off a few months ago when I saw this 70 year old guy walking into a go-go bar. He had a BG on one arm and his oxygen bottle in the other. God bless him...but it was a crazy sight! :D

And don't even get me going on those Russians...wow...truly a class among themselves....

Pattaya is pretty sickening, i've never seen so many fat, balding, overweight individuals in one town. Old men in wheel chairs being pushed around by 20 something dolly brids, that's f#cked up!

Parts of Phuket are nice, but I disagree that Samui is a poor mans Phuket. I think you'll find that in some areas land is reaching a par price wise as that on Phuket. There are now numerous 1m $ + houses on the island.

Due to it's size, and the demand for land eventually out growing supply (for the good stuff, ie. Beach and prime sea view), it will be inevitable that prices will be higher than Phuket probobally within the next 5 years.

Also Samui day to day is more expensive than Phuket, so I don't really know where you get this poor mans Phuket idea from.

Anyone can afford to live anywhere in Thailand, as everywhere is cheap compared to back him. Phuket is bigger and better developed, so more to spend your money on, but i'm sure you could spend just as much on Samui if you tried.

Pattaya isn't bangkok by the sea, the whole town is a seedy ###### whole, frequented predominantly by sex tourists. I would be ashamed to take my family there.

:D

Im with craigt3365.

I used to love Samui but now only return to see my brother who still lives there.  Is there anything "Thai" left at all?  Yeah I know that there are still places on the back roads etc where you can get half decent food but what the ###### happened to Chaweng.... and what is that monstrosity of a building at Koh Matalan end that is visible almost the full length of the beach? Height of a palm tree  :D  :o

Yes, yes indeed, ?! :D

I remember the Tree House Bar down near Munchies before it got blown away,

oh well, less just call it progress ... :D

I think the expats in Pattaya are the worst...at least some. I laughed my ass off a few months ago when I saw this 70 year old guy walking into a go-go bar. He had a BG on one arm and his oxygen bottle in the other. God bless him...but it was a crazy sight! :o

And don't even get me going on those Russians...wow...truly a class among themselves....

I think your telling pork pies, a 70 year old man

carrying an oxygen bottle under his arm into a go go bar.

When was the last time you picked up a oxo bottle your self.

Probably in your dreams.

To Womble

Great to see you don’t stereo type people.

Have a nice day

I think the expats in Pattaya are the worst...at least some. I laughed my ass off a few months ago when I saw this 70 year old guy walking into a go-go bar. He had a BG on one arm and his oxygen bottle in the other. God bless him...but it was a crazy sight! :D

I think your telling pork pies, a 70 year old man

carrying an oxygen bottle under his arm into a go go bar.

When was the last time you picked up a oxo bottle your self.

Probably in your dreams.

To Womble

Great to see you don’t stereo type people.

Have a nice day

No it wasn't a dream. It was a standard oxygen bottle...just like all the others...on wheels. Sorry, I should have been more detailed :o

Pattaya is pretty sickening, i've never seen so many fat, balding, overweight individuals in one town.  Old men in wheel chairs being pushed around by 20 something dolly brids, that's f#cked up!

Parts of Phuket are nice, but I disagree that Samui is a poor mans Phuket.  I think you'll find that in some areas land is reaching a par price wise as that on Phuket.  There are now numerous 1m $ + houses on the island.

Due to it's size, and the demand for land eventually out growing supply (for the good stuff, ie.  Beach and prime sea view), it will be inevitable that prices will be higher than Phuket probobally within the next 5 years.

Also Samui day to day is more expensive than Phuket, so I don't really know where you get this poor mans Phuket idea from.

Anyone can afford to live anywhere in Thailand, as everywhere is cheap compared to back him.  Phuket is bigger and better developed, so more to spend your money on, but i'm sure you could spend just as much on Samui if you tried.

Pattaya isn't bangkok by the sea, the whole town is a seedy ###### whole, frequented predominantly by sex tourists.  I would be ashamed to take my family there.

Womble, if you read my earlier post you will see that im not referring to Samui as a poor mans Phuket because of property and land prices. Its the class of the long term expat that im referring to.

As for the old man with the oxygen bottle in Pattaya I can believe that, I seen some crazy sh*t when I was there !!! :o

Womble, if you read my earlier post you will see that im not referring to Samui as a poor mans Phuket because of property and land prices.  Its the class of the long term expat that im referring to.

As for the old man with the oxygen bottle in Pattaya I can believe that, I seen some crazy sh*t when I was there !!!  :o

Like what???

I need a good story.

Have a nice day

I'm a 4 year pattaya resident and i've just arrived back from Chaewang after spending 5 days there with the wife. Beaches ok not in the same league as Phuket or surrounding koh's, bars ok, music average (apart from some bands at the concert of course). Also (as friends who live there told me) there are too many so called wannabe "Kings of Samui" as they called them. Mates warned me of funny looks in certain bars unless you dress right etc :o:D

As far as the law is concerned... :D Yes i've seen them but do they do any normal policing?

The roads and parking are an absolute joke :D

All in all an ok trip (my main reason was to look at the bands around the area) but other than that I could'nt see the attraction of Samui. I will go back but I'll stick to certain area's (namely those without loads of farang tourists). :D

Edited by davethailand

see any bands???

I struggled

I'm a 4 year pattaya resident and i've just arrived back from Chaewang after spending 5 days there with the wife. Beaches ok not in the same league as Phuket or surrounding koh's, bars ok, music average (apart from some bands at the concert of course). Also (as friends who live there told me) there are too many so called wannabe "Kings of Samui" as they called them. Mates warned me of funny looks in certain bars unless you dress right etc :o  :D

As far as the law is concerned... :D Yes i've seen them but do they do any normal policing?

The roads and parking are an absolute joke :D

All in all an ok trip (my main reason was to look at the bands around the area) but other than that I could'nt see the attraction of Samui. I will go back but I'll stick to certain area's (namely those without loads of farang tourists). :D

Soi Dog (who are always good.

The Wailers - excellent

UB40 - excellent.

Flow - second time i've seen them, 1st time was at a rock concert i sponsered in BKK and they did rock covers- nothing too special. 2nd time they did some of there own stuff and they were good.

The rouring buoys - Ok for a small bar.

Chris James - ok.

I sat in coco blues waiting for Zakirya Hooker who was scheduled on at 1215am, At 1235 i paid the bill because it had become unbearable in there, too many people who quite frankly did'nt give a toss about people sitting down trying to eat. :o

Wow, just a little Samui bashing going on here. Just makes me wonder if anyone has been out of Chaweng and Lamai! I live in Thong Krut and can't be happier, no traffic, no muay thai promoters so it's still pretty nice. There are still a lot of really pleasant places to live here so it sucks to hear the entire island dissed like this.

I guess the stereo type of a Samui resident is a beer drinking, looking for fights englishmen.

And for Pattaya a balding middle age fat man with no real chance of getting a decent looking bird back home.

Ofcourse these are generalisations, but pattaya defo has more sex pats and sex tourists.

Samui is a different crowd, but some have been very successful, and made a lot of money in a short time.

There is many envious people who would liked to have made money on Samui.

Then ofcourse there are those who wouldn't have dreamt of changing the island and making a buck.

They liked it how it used to be.

To each their own, I love many parts of Thailand, for many different reasons, but each area is very unique and has it's pro's and cons (excuse the pun)

Wow, just a little Samui bashing going on here. Just makes me wonder if anyone has been out of Chaweng and Lamai! I live in Thong Krut and can't be happier, no traffic, no muay thai promoters so it's still pretty nice. There are still a lot of really pleasant places to live here so it sucks to hear the entire island dissed like this.

Keev, in some respect you are right, Samui does have some very nice scenery for anyone who bothers to look beyond Chaweng and Lamai.

Last time I went I took a friend with me who had never been before, as it was all new for him I took the time so go for a nice drive around the island. It was a great day out, stopping off at the viewpoints, having a look at the Grandma/Grandpa rock however, the truth is this is all Samui has to offer outside of Chaweng/Lamai, all of which can be seen in half of a day.

My advice to anyone considering going to Samui is to explore other places outside of Samui, such as Ko Phangan & Ko Tao which are all easily accessible from Samui, a couple of days in each is ample.

If your not into trekking around the islands and just want to laze around the beach and do nothing then its a great place, if you like a holiday with lots to do on your own doorstep then Samui is not the place for you ! :o