Teaching In Issan?

Tzvi

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

elwood, why have you decided so?

Your sentence structure and did->done.

You´re correct english is not my first language ( I'm Israeli and my first lang is Russian ) although I have lived in US and finishing my MA degree now in English as well. I actually thought of teaching E. if this is only only teaching opportunity in Thailand. What are the teaching/ job opportunities in Issan and is there also demand for non-native english speakers like me?

Correct me if I am wrong. Back in 2003 there was a law passed that said something along those lines: If one does not originate from a "Native English Speaking Country" ( = England, USA, Canada, Australia, South Africa) and / or does not have a college-degree in english, is nor qualified for a work permit as an English-Teacher in any "qualified school".

So, I suppose, anyone working as an english-teacher and not fulfilling those requirements, is doing his english-stint illegally. (Regardless if this takes place in the Isaan or in the middle of Bangkok.)

But also look at the sub-forum "teaching in thailand". Probably a better place to ask this question.

Cheers.

Swissie, Tzvi has posted in the Teaching forum, and waiting replys,

Thing is, i dont understand why in this World Community why Tzvi should get all these negative racial replys? for many years in the UK, Asian teachers/nurses/doctors have thrived, and continue to do so,

So hows your Cryllic written Russian? hows your spoken Russian or Hebrew? Hows your MA coming along in America? and all you can do is mock somebody who is trying to make his way with his family in the world.

If you posters are not ashamed of what you wrote, I am..

Thing is, i dont understand why in this World Community why Tzvi should get all these negative racial replys? for many years in the UK, Asian teachers/nurses/doctors have thrived, and continue to do so,

So hows your Cryllic written Russian? hows your spoken Russian or Hebrew? Hows your MA coming along in America? and all you can do is mock somebody who is trying to make his way with his family in the world.

I think you mean Cyrillic which is not, as far as I'm aware, in much demand in Issan whereas English is. The replies to Tzvi were not racial - do you mean racist? They were pointing out that his English is not up to native speaker standard which is something he might want to take into consideration when he decides whether to apply for ESL jobs.

Issan aside, if this fella went or wanted to work in Pattaya or Phuket where there are a lot of russians, he could make a mint, teaching mixed parentage kids russian, the above posts were not atall helpful, they were taking the mick, its not fair and you know it, if they dont want to help people who want to get on in the world, they should refrain from making such posts,

My bil can speak,read and write chinese,japanese,thai and english, and hes a shopkeeper, so why not try to help people who want to use their lanuage skills to help others? albeit non-native english, you also have to remember Thailand is at least 30 years behind a western culture that embraces commonwealth input, or any other come to that.

Food for thought before you run down a fellow human..

I have been teaching English in an EP (M1-3) in issan for the past 4 years.The school happens to be the biggest Govt. school in the province, which enrolls over 3,500 students. Along with EP there are two other programs on campus relating to international language study. One of these programs is called The International Language Program (ILP) which employs Japanese, Chinese, French, and English teachers. I don't think there is a big demand for Russian teachers up here.

Most EP's in Issan tend to be in the main city/town areas and are run out of Govt. schools. These programs usually pay the most, but will only hire native speakers to teach English (or at least this has been my experience), since the program gets 80,000 baht per student per year. The students take all of their classes in English. Parents pay based on the fact that their child is being taught by a native. However most will consider non native speakers for other courses such as maths, science, and IT.

Village schools tend to hire 1-2 "token" white faces. The pay is usually considerably lower and getting you legal with proper visa and WP may be sketchy.

Language centers may be another option. Good luck.

Edited by mizzi39

Presumably you are not a teacher of English?

And you are, presumably. I assume that your students are thankful to the God that no one else but You are teaching them English. Oh, how lucky they are. :lol:

Next time answer the question directly and don't try to be smart @ss. Because you are neither wise nor prudent, as this kind of attitude you have.

I have been teaching English in an EP (M1-3) in issan for the past 4 years.The school happens to be the biggest Govt. school in the province, which enrolls over 3,500 students. Along with EP there are two other programs on campus relating to international language study. One of these programs is called The International Language Program (ILP) which employs Japanese, Chinese, French, and English teachers. I don't think there is a big demand for Russian teachers up here.

Most EP's in Issan tend to be in the main city/town areas and are run out of Govt. schools. These programs usually pay the most, but will only hire native speakers to teach English (or at least this has been my experience), since the program gets 80,000 baht per student per year. The students take all of their classes in English. Parents pay based on the fact that their child is being taught by a native. However most will consider non native speakers for other courses such as maths, science, and IT.

Village schools tend to hire 1-2 "token" white faces. The pay is usually considerably lower and getting you legal with proper visa and WP may be sketchy.

If it comes to school in Mukdahan and I think it is, the school is not a good solution for the OP.

Moreover, the school is not at all representative, as much they are trying to show in advertising. Working conditions are tremendously difficult in ordinary classes because they are full of children. Overcrowded. Around 50 of them. The school certainly has no minimum of normal conditions for work, successful work with children.

In the EP classes, the situation is somewhat better because it comes with fewer less students.

For the EP classes there are requested native speakers. But in ordinary classes are not. Non native speakers was there emplyed many times to teach English, including teachers from Philippines.

So, if it is about that school, OP has a chance to teach ordinary classes. Hell of a job.

In all Mukdahan province is easy to find a work but there will be opened many questions later. Most of them, especially private schools, will not provide documentation for Visa and Work permit so it is walking on the edge later. I would not recommend it to OP. Mukdahan have very strict Immigration office, controlling work permits also. And one more thing, Mukdahan people like to mind other ones business so they might report him. No reason, just like that, as a hobby.

I think you mean Cyrillic which is not, as far as I'm aware, in much demand in Issan whereas English is. The replies to Tzvi were not racial - do you mean racist? They were pointing out that his English is not up to native speaker standard which is something he might want to take into consideration when he decides whether to apply for ESL jobs.

Ouch! Up to native speaker standard? <_< There is no such thing. Many native speakers, in teaching in Thailand, do not speak the literary English , what is taught in the West, but the way they speak with their family or neighbourhood.

Most native speakers are not trained to teach but they are teachers here. The English language and their distinct way of speaking, accent, often makes a confusion among the students.

So, i think there is no need to mention anything like"native speaker standard", at all. In reality, we can hear in Thailand so many different accents, from many states and regions in US. Same is with England. Very rare time, according to majority of native speakers in teaching, we have a chance to hear real and good English accent.

Correct me if I am wrong. Back in 2003 there was a law passed that said something along those lines: If one does not originate from a "Native English Speaking Country" ( = England, USA, Canada, Australia, South Africa) and / or does not have a college-degree in english, is nor qualified for a work permit as an English-Teacher in any "qualified school".

So, I suppose, anyone working as an english-teacher and not fulfilling those requirements, is doing his english-stint illegally. (Regardless if this takes place in the Isaan or in the middle of Bangkok.)

But also look at the sub-forum "teaching in thailand". Probably a better place to ask this question.

Cheers.

This what you are saying is not true at all.

Of course you wrong and since you left the possibility for you to be corrected, I, will tell you. Thailand never insisted on native speakers. On the contrary they are insisting on variety of accents so that includes possibility to hire non native speakers. Never was required by the Government, never was any condition about it, to hire just and only native speakers.

Moreover, MoE office in Chiang Mai explained in interview with some stubborn farang(an Englishman) who was repeating in all his questions to the Chairman, native speakers, native speakers, native speakers that irritated Chairmen so he said loud and clear that Thai society(MoE) thinks various accents is benefit for students.

Chairman was clear and said it is about their need to hire also non native speakers. After that, Englishman didn't open mouth again.

So, you wrong.

Cheers.

Of course you wrong and since you left the possibility for you to be corrected, I, will tell you. Thailand never insisted on native speakers. On the contrary they are insisting on variety of accents so that includes possibility to hire non native speakers. Never was required by the Government, never was any condition about it, to hire just and only native speakers.

Moreover, MoE office in Chiang Mai explained in interview with some stubborn farang(an Englishman) who was repeating in all his questions to the Chairman, native speakers, native speakers, native speakers that irritated Chairmen so he said loud and clear that Thai society(MoE) thinks various accents is benefit for students.

Chairman was clear and said it is about their need to hire also non native speakers. After that, Englishman didn't open mouth again.

So, you wrong.

Can either of you document your claims?

elwood, why have you decided so?

Your sentence structure and did->done.

You´re correct english is not my first language ( I'm Israeli and my first lang is Russian ) although I have lived in US and finishing my MA degree now in English as well. I actually thought of teaching E. if this is only only teaching opportunity in Thailand. What are the teaching/ job opportunities in Issan and is there also demand for non-native english speakers like me?

Tzvi, in short, YES. There is also a lot of chances you, as non native speaker, could find some work. If you are not choosy and if you are not flying high having nose in clouds(as some smart asses here) you will have work in Isaan, that's for sure.

Pay attention in interviews to speak slowly and bright and clear voice so Thais can understand you, follow you. Place of birth don't make ones be a good teacher and managers in schools know that as well. They are not stupid and many non natives have work in Thailand so you have your chance for sure.

Something else matter.

And you are, presumably. I assume that your students are thankful to the God that no one else but You are teaching them English. Oh, how lucky they are. :lol:

Next time answer the question directly and don't try to be smart @ss. Because you are neither wise nor prudent, as this kind of attitude you have.

OK, I'll answer your question directly. I am not a teacher, do not have the inclination or, most importantly, the qualifications. If the OP wishes to teach, good luck to him, but, from his writing in his question, would you wish your children to be taught English by him?

For crying out loud man, lighten up a little will you, and don't play the cyberspace heavy.

OK, I'll answer your question directly. I am not a teacher, do not have the inclination or, most importantly, the qualifications. If the OP wishes to teach, good luck to him, but, from his writing in his question, would you wish your children to be taught English by him?

For crying out loud man, lighten up a little will you, and don't play the cyberspace heavy.

I actually do the hiring of teachers (and refer many many more to other places) and I agree that I would not consider the OP for any position teaching English. He did get some good advice regarding teaching Russian though. The question is will he be able to find a job that will make it possible for him to stay legally in Thailand. I hope so!

So, i think there is no need to mention anything like"native speaker standard", at all. In reality, we can hear in Thailand so many different accents, from many states and regions in US. Same is with England. Very rare time, according to majority of native speakers in teaching, we have a chance to hear real and good English accent.

Being a native speaker means that English is your first language. It has nothing at all to do with your accent.

Im from the south eastern counties of the UK, if i go further north than Newcastle, i need a translator, but of course you are right, a native english speaker??so pray tell us, do you understand an english educated indian doctor or teacher better than a broad scots dialect? i do, and i think that goes for many people, dialects are interesting, sorry you scots readers, no offense, just a thought on dialects..

Steppenwolf1958, Lickey thank you very much for your advices and good attitude. I have taught Hebrew for 3 years ( not being native ) and was a head of medium size educational organization and that´s true, proper teahing has absolutely nothing to do with being native or not. From my experience , I believe that actually this is just a spin if they hire natives without proper education ( wanna see white faces ) or rather ability to teach. I´m not sure, though, that I should teach as the people here say I cannot write properly ( and actually they might be right because I got recently some comments in this spirit on my scientific papers)

Anyway thank you for evaluation.

Steppenwolf1958, Lickey thank you very much for your advices and good attitude. I have taught Hebrew for 3 years ( not being native ) and was a head of medium size educational organization and that´s true, proper teahing has absolutely nothing to do with being native or not. From my experience , I believe that actually this is just a spin if they hire natives without proper education ( wanna see white faces ) or rather ability to teach. I´m not sure, though, that I should teach as the people here say I cannot write properly ( and actually they might be right because I got recently some comments in this spirit on my scientific papers)

If you can add some more documents in your resume, for to prove that you were employed in any educational organization or company (any position) it will be worth of gold in your job search.

Might happen easily that you will have an advantage upon some native speakers. Especially if you have blue eyes and blonde hair, which is very interesting for Thais and they like pleasant appearance. Yes, i hope native speakers hear me well. :lol:

Thais highly respect their colleagues from any country. That is one of the reason why they like to hire people from Philippines. BTW, the main reason is low wages teachers from Philippines are accepting, as a third payment rate.

As you are not native speaker and as you will be asked what salary do you expect, you should say it is negotiable and don't expect much of it-as you are rookie. Estimated amount could be some 25K which is enough for normal life in Thailand for your family.

Let them know you are not so much about the money but to teach. They will like to hear it.

But you have to insist about school assistance for work permit and your Visa Non B so you can sleep calm.

Be very VERY tidy on your interview, smoothly shaved, ironed shirt and trousers, not to much elegant but tastefully, politely dressed.

SMILE. Thais adore optimistic and smiled persons.

REMEMBER as the most important thing. Pay attention about your way of speak. Be calm, smiled, and modify your voice to be clear, speak slowly(not as you are drunk LOL) and make them understand what you are talking about and listen them carefully as they are not fluent at English, even if they are teaching English and don't show that you are surprised, don't comment it.

As you are rookie, not experienced don't be ashamed to go from school to school to ask do they need a teacher. Fight for it.

Later, you will gain many Thais as a friends and all will be easier then. Good luck. I am sure you will manage it. Even if you late for this semester, don't worry. You can be on tourist visa, looking for a work in a mid term and many times happened some of native speaker, will left the school that time(or will be fired by Thais, "some" reason) so there will be a time, again.

I saw that MANY times in my 5 years here.

Don't have ANY work out of proper papers, visa and work permit, as that could be very dangerous for you.

So, go ahead and get your job.

Don't hesitate to ask here about any other thing about the life in Thailand, despite the fact that here on ThaiVisa are some real &lt;deleted&gt; but here are PLENTY of good people who would be happy to help you. (even native speakers :P )

Best of luck mate and welcome to the hell of a struggle. :Thaiflag:

Cheers.

So, you wrong.

Can either of you document your claims?

Surely yes. That lovely interview was published on Ajarn.com but you will have to search for yourself JD.

meanwhile, read as clipping in Nation, bangkok post, statements of MoE officials (lady Kasama, for instance, she is retired now but you can find her words about the policy of MoE, as the best for Thai kids) in last 2 years so you will be surprised when you reveal the truth about the dilemma "to hire native speakers or non native speakers" which is not dilemma, at all.

And don't tell me you, personally, believe that place of birth makes ones to be a good teacher in Thailand.

Being a native speaker means that English is your first language. It has nothing at all to do with your accent.

I am sorry but in real life, in teaching, your accent mean more than place of your birth. Because of your unacceptable accent, disability to talk clearly so Thais could understand you, you might stay out of work. Happened many times.

If you can add some more documents in your resume, for to prove that you were employed in any educational organization or company (any position) it will be worth of gold in your job search.

Might happen easily that you will have an advantage upon some native speakers. Especially if you have blue eyes and blonde hair, which is very interesting for Thais and they like pleasant appearance. Yes, i hope native speakers hear me well. :lol:

Thais highly respect their colleagues from any country. That is one of the reason why they like to hire people from Philippines. BTW, the main reason is low wages teachers from Philippines are accepting, as a third payment rate.

As you are not native speaker and as you will be asked what salary do you expect, you should say it is negotiable and don't expect much of it-as you are rookie. Estimated amount could be some 25K which is enough for normal life in Thailand for your family.

Let them know you are not so much about the money but to teach. They will like to hear it.

But you have to insist about school assistance for work permit and your Visa Non B so you can sleep calm.

Be very VERY tidy on your interview, smoothly shaved, ironed shirt and trousers, not to much elegant but tastefully, politely dressed.

SMILE. Thais adore optimistic and smiled persons.

REMEMBER as the most important thing. Pay attention about your way of speak. Be calm, smiled, and modify your voice to be clear, speak slowly(not as you are drunk LOL) and make them understand what you are talking about and listen them carefully as they are not fluent at English, even if they are teaching English and don't show that you are surprised, don't comment it.

As you are rookie, not experienced don't be ashamed to go from school to school to ask do they need a teacher. Fight for it.

Later, you will gain many Thais as a friends and all will be easier then. Good luck. I am sure you will manage it. Even if you late for this semester, don't worry. You can be on tourist visa, looking for a work in a mid term and many times happened some of native speaker, will left the school that time(or will be fired by Thais, "some" reason) so there will be a time, again.

I saw that MANY times in my 5 years here.

Don't have ANY work out of proper papers, visa and work permit, as that could be very dangerous for you.

So, go ahead and get your job.

Don't hesitate to ask here about any other thing about the life in Thailand, despite the fact that here on ThaiVisa are some real &lt;deleted&gt; but here are PLENTY of good people who would be happy to help you. (even native speakers :P )

Best of luck mate and welcome to the hell of a struggle. :Thaiflag:

Thank you very much - excellent post, I admire your ability of concize and to the point explanation. Thank you again!!

I understand that if you have an accent which is difficult for your prospective Thai employers to understand, that you would find it difficult to gain employment irrespective of your birthplace. What I believe, the point of using the term 'native speaker' is, is that a native speaker should be able to form sentences correctly in the language they are teaching. Otherwise you will be passing on incorrect language skills to your students.

I don't doubt, Steppenwolf, anything you say regarding your experiences. It's just a little surprising that you focus on accents as opposed to things like grammar and word order in sentences, which native speakers should be able to teach correctly.

I think many posters here, who are native speakers of English, but may not be involved in the teaching profession, are often surprised that people who can not form English sentences correctly, are employed as English teachers.

It may well be the case that this goes un-noticed by the employer because the person has a nice shirt and tie and looks the part, but it's still surprising to some, myself included. :)

If it comes to school in Mukdahan and I think it is, the school is not a good solution for the OP.

Moreover, the school is not at all representative, as much they are trying to show in advertising. Working conditions are tremendously difficult in ordinary classes because they are full of children. Overcrowded. Around 50 of them. The school certainly has no minimum of normal conditions for work, successful work with children.

In the EP classes, the situation is somewhat better because it comes with fewer less students.

For the EP classes there are requested native speakers. But in ordinary classes are not. Non native speakers was there emplyed many times to teach English, including teachers from Philippines.

So, if it is about that school, OP has a chance to teach ordinary classes. Hell of a job.

In all Mukdahan province is easy to find a work but there will be opened many questions later. Most of them, especially private schools, will not provide documentation for Visa and Work permit so it is walking on the edge later. I would not recommend it to OP. Mukdahan have very strict Immigration office, controlling work permits also. And one more thing, Mukdahan people like to mind other ones business so they might report him. No reason, just like that, as a hobby.

No, the school is not in Mukdahan. Our program does hire non native speakers to teach maths sciences, and IT at the same starting rate as English teachers, so there is no "white" pay. This is a plus for the OP assuming that he has experience teaching other subjects.

I have to agree with the points "bifftastic" made.

I understand that if you have an accent which is difficult for your prospective Thai employers to understand, that you would find it difficult to gain employment irrespective of your birthplace. What I believe, the point of using the term 'native speaker' is, is that a native speaker should be able to form sentences correctly in the language they are teaching. Otherwise you will be passing on incorrect language skills to your students.

I don't doubt, Steppenwolf, anything you say regarding your experiences. It's just a little surprising that you focus on accents as opposed to things like grammar and word order in sentences, which native speakers should be able to teach correctly.

I think many posters here, who are native speakers of English, but may not be involved in the teaching profession, are often surprised that people who can not form English sentences correctly, are employed as English teachers.

It may well be the case that this goes un-noticed by the employer because the person has a nice shirt and tie and looks the part, but it's still surprising to some, myself included. :)

I've got your point mate. Obviously, you are a competent and intellectually able to discuss about this matters. True, I am focused on accent AND vocabulary as more important. Linguistic science, nowadays suggesting exactly that. But, on the other hand, i will not underestimate importance of grammar or writing or reading skills. On the contrary. I am just giving advantage to speaking skills, mean vocabulary and accent.

However, in Asia are a few established, recognized needs as ways in teaching English and i am sure you know that fact, as well.

In addition, Thailand needs about it are much different than Japan or China, even Laos. Thailand have no touch, no sense for the sound of English. That is why is almost last ranked in Asia about proficiency, about English. So, there is a difference between way of teach in Thailand, South Korea, Japan or China. Sound of English is not well accepted in Thailand. That is the main problem. Thais have, i would say, kind of psychological block, kind of fear about English and if you are teaching here more than 2 years, you will understand what am i talking about. Probably, just my guessing, the reason for any fear is actually fear to make a mistake. Boned in tradition. Fear to lose the face.To say something in wrong way so to cause laugh of a friends around. So, the good teachers here, native speakers or not-really doesn't matter, should to know for mentality of Thais toward English, to build appropriate model to unblock them about that fear.

That model depend on each of us here, our personal strength and willing to help. That makes ones to be a good teacher here. If you ask me.

One more thing, very important. You have to relocate to Thailand, if you are planing to be a teacher, good one. You can't do much about it if you are here based on some short time plan, attracted to Thailand as some adventure in your life, way to gain some nice experience or if it was just so boring in your country so you came here.

You have to learn all the time, especially if you are not native speaker. I was observing 2 years way of teach that Thais do, farangs do or any other foreigner. Then i was able to see MY weak points but to make my own model of teaching. I can say here that my students are making homework. Many times Thai teachers asked me, when i was in teach, what have i done to them so they, my students, do their homework. next, my students "open mouth' in some 2-5 months of studying with me. Doesn't matter it is the company, work in some corporation, tutorial classes or governmental school. I made it because i was always learning from other teachers all.

Probably, it is because i have studied about Thais, way of life, 2 years before my arrival and all this 5 years.

After all, i don't think you should be surprise about any need of Thais to hire non native speakers. Even if it is because of his nice shirt or nice blue eyes or smile. I explained that here and if you are here over 2 years, how come you are (still) surprised?