Would You Kill It?

ChiangMaiFun

I am not someone who wants to kill anything (well not usually) but I got a huge shock this morning... a thin grey snake chasing a dragonfly or butterfly on my garden path! I went to get a net but it had gone - he was going at quiet a speed - not sure who was more shocked me or him!

Would you normally kill it? if I had caught it I guess I would have found somewhere outside of town to let it go - but it IS quiet a shock if you have never experienced it.

take a picture of it and post it. A lot of snakes eat insects and other pests.

but if you have something a snake like that eats then maybe kill it or relocate it.

Just use a classic noose on a stick to slip around it's neck and pull the cord tight enough to prevent escape but not damage it's spine.

Then deposit in a sack and relocate.

Best of both worlds.. No more snake but no bad karma either.

Killing something just because you don't understand it (is it a danger to you or your family or pets????) is a knee-jerk reaction. Relocating it if it is a nuisance only, or leaving it be if it poses no threat makes much more sense.

I wouldn't kill it.

If I could safely catch it, I'd chase my wife with it for a bit, have my photo taken with it, then let it go somewhere it should be safe :)

David

post-34071-0-34679000-1302765618_thumb.j

David are you showing off someone else's catch? or did you really catch it? kudos dude if you caught it! my fellow was grey and looked like yellow patterning - guess none of my Thai girlfriends will come to the Sala for a week or two now... laugh.gif

I won't kill any snake, venomous or otherwise, but I might remove it to a better location. Snakes are mostly harmless and just want to be left alone.

As a rule, I am the same. I have killed one here in Thailand (viper) that I knew to be venomous AND that happened to make it in to a room where people I am responsible for sleep. Had it been outside, even in the common areas I would have bagged it and taken it elsewhere :)

No.

Good answer!

Let's assume that you have an infant or a toddler in the house, and the same harmless snake keeps returning back inside your house after you chased it away many times.

You may capture it and relocate it somewhere far from your house, but what's the chance of other snakes slithering into your child's crib or bed.

Would you still not kill it?

Edited by 23423981

Nope for a few reasons. The first is the question: Is it venomous? If not, why not just let it be? It's too small to step on you, so if not venomous it can't harm you (though most snakes that are provoked will bite (a few play dead)) At my house when I'm working on a stone terrace or wall, I'll leave a cavity occasionally so a snake can find itself a good house, and I find it rather rewarding to see one who is out "sunning itself" zip into it's hidey-hole. If it is venomous I'd kill it, but then I have a 12guage shotgun which at 15 feet will essentially vaporize it's head. I wouldn't try to trap or kill it with a shovel though. "Most snakes bites occur when someone is trying to kill or catch a snake." From: http://www.billabongsanctuary.com.au/aussie_animals/eastern_brown.html Billabong Sanctuary has a lot of highly venomous Eastern Brown snakes. I've read that same sentence other places too... Live and let live, if you can...

It's easy enough to make a snake catcher with a length of bamboo and a simple loop of string that you pull to tighten around his neck or body....then relocate him to a safe place.

My workers killed any snakes that they could catch and when I asked if they were poisonous.....they said they didn't know, then they made som tom out of it.

Killing something just because you don't understand it (is it a danger to you or your family or pets????) is a knee-jerk reaction. Relocating it if it is a nuisance only, or leaving it be if it poses no threat makes much more sense.

The trouble is while you're on your lap top trying to understand if its a danger, if it is a danger, you could be dead.

No.

Good answer!

Let's assume that you have an infant or a toddler in the house, and the same harmless snake keeps returning back inside your house after you chased it away many times.

You may capture it and relocate it somewhere far from your house, but what's the chance of other snakes slithering into your child's crib or bed.

See post 14

If the same harmless snake keeps returning back inside your house, wouldn't it have been prudent to block the snakes entrance after the removal?

Based off the assumption below, its seems like there is more of a problem with gaps/entryways than the snake.

No.

Good answer!

Edited by CMSteve

The trouble is while you're on your lap top trying to understand if its a danger, if it is a danger, you could be dead.

See the OP, and see post 14

On your garden path ... no immediate danger to anyone :) Plenty of time for google. That being said, don't you think that getting to know something about the risks would be advisable in advance? I think I can identify most of the snakes in Thailand now. Particularly the venomous ones :)

I had a cobra in my house and l had no hesition in getting the garden spade out and kiling the bloody thing. It was a case of either him or me so guess who one

update!

no sign of Hissing Sid! but I am getting a dead fish a day floating in the pond so... is he there...?

had a young lady round last night who was conspicuously nervous of my snake (but that could be taken two ways I guess...)

Speaking of fish .... ;)

I need to bring in the company landscaper for the house that I rent! It has a waterfall/small Koi pond out front and I'd like to get it working and full before the rains hit here hard!

update!

no sign of Hissing Sid! but I am getting a dead fish a day floating in the pond so... is he there...?

had a young lady round last night who was conspicuously nervous of my snake (but that could be taken two ways I guess...)

:huh:

update!

Oh yes, the one eyed python variety, can be deadly at nights :D