Privacy

SteeleJoe

I'm sure this is run of the mill but who can recommend for me software that will password protect folders. As willl soon be apparent, I know next to nothing about IT. My requirements:

-- Free (Not a free trial)

-- Ability to lock an entire folder on an external hard drive or USB and be able to open them on whatever PC or notebook I like.

-- Able to lock a folder of up to 400 - 500 GB

-- Absolutely 100% failproof guarantee that I won't lose files or wind up unable to access them (this is FAR more important than keeping them secure).

It doesn't have to be super secure. Just enough to prevent the accidental or casual snooper. But needless to say, I don't mind if it is super secure, as long as that doesn't mean it's hard to use or I wind up unable to get in.

Found some stuff but just wondering what people who actually know what they are doing would recommend. Thanks very much in advance to anyone who can take the time to help out.

http://www.truecrypt.org/

Works great! Used it for years.

Thanks. Just the sort of recc I hope for (that you used it for years). But I actually downloaded it earlier and it didn't actually lock the folder when I used it but rather it locked the file(s) that are in the selected folder. Does that mean I'm doing something wrong?

Anyway, good to know its reliable.

Da_n. I just realized I made a stupid mistake when I titled the OP: I apologize if anyone opens this thread thinking I am recommending an encrypter rather than asking about them.

I'd change the title if I could.

Edited by SteeleJoe

Thanks. Just the sort of recc I hope for (that you used it for years). But I actually downloaded it earlier and it didn't actually lock the folder when I used it but rather it locked the file(s) that are in the selected folder. Does that mean I'm doing something wrong?

You have to create a volume and move the folder or folders into the volume.

You have to create a volume and move the folder or folders into the volume.

Easier said than done, in my case. I have repeatedly failed to successfully create one. Im going to bed.

Da_n. I just realized I made a stupid mistake when I titled the OP: I apologize if anyone opens this thread thinking I am recommending an encrypter rather than asking about them.

Done for you.

Agree with BB1950 that TrueCrypt is a great program. It doesn't lock folders per se, but it can create and encrypt a virtual disk drive which is probably both better and safer than just locking a folder.

Have a look at this tutorial on the Truecrypt website. It explains in a few easy steps how to get started.

Done for you.

Agree with BB1950 that TrueCrypt is a great program. It doesn't lock folders per se, but it can create and encrypt a virtual disk drive which is probably both better and safer than just locking a folder.

Have a look at this tutorial on the Truecrypt website. It explains in a few easy steps how to get started.

Thanks for fixing the title Phil.

It doesn't lock folders per se, but it can create and encrypt a virtual disk drive which is probably both better and safer than just locking a folder.

Uhmmm...OK?

I'll definitely check out the tutorial but I have to confess I already did last night and still had no success. I wound up with something that had the name I'd chosen but was just described as FILE -- no extension, nothing. I'll keep working at it. And as i said, it's good to know that people who know what they are talking about think this is a good program.

Thanks again.

I wound up with something that had the name I'd chosen but was just described as FILE -- no extension, nothing. I'll keep working at it.

I've also used it for years. The "FILE" is the virtual disk you just created. You now have to 'mount' it from Truecrypt and it will look like another disk drive that you can add/delete files to.

You now have to 'mount' it from Truecrypt and it will look like another disk drive that you can add/delete files to.

Aha! Now to figure out how to mount it...how many times have I said that beforeblink.gif

Doh! Didn't see the video. Shall watch now.

Edited by SteeleJoe

Well, that video helped. I mean I made a volume or whatever. But I haven't figured out if this will work when I hook my external hardrive to another PC or Notebook. Will it? Is that even possible?

Truecrypt is on this PC so how will mount or dismount on another machine?

I'm sure these are really stupid questions -- but what can I say, I'm clearly not that bright.

Man, you guys are kind and patient. Thanks for all of this.

But -- surprise, surprise I'm still not really sure what's going on. But I'm going to take a break from annoying people (at least until I try to figure it out some more (or at least figure out what questions to ask).

But I'll just add this: my first priority is that if I connect my external HD to another machine no one else can open it. It'd be nice if I could but not essential -- as long as I can open once I connect back to my own machine where TrueCrypt is insalled.

But I'll just add this: my first priority is that if I connect my external HD to another machine no one else can open it. It'd be nice if I could but not essential

It's possible but more complicated than creating a virtual drive (single file).

Encrypts an entire partition or storage device such as USB flash drive or hard drive.

"Absolutely 100% failproof guarantee that I won't lose files or wind up unable to access them (this is FAR more important than keeping them secure"

Truecrypt is way over the top for your needs, as you dont require 100% privacy. Do a search for "folder password protection": there are many simple solutions, some pay, some free, some built into Windows already. Few if any will be as secure as Truecrypt, but you said that the privacy aspect is not vital.

But do bear in mind that NONE of them guarantees that your files wont be lost if the container becomes corrupted or if you forget your password.

You MUST make copie(s) of any important data, be it encrypted or unencrypted.

PERFECT. That'll do quite nicely for my immedaite needs.

Now supposing I want to open the folder on another machine: one idea I have is to simply instal Mylockboz on that PC/Notebook (by having the exe file on the external HD. Is that a stupid idea? Is it even necessary? Would that work? Or is there a better way?

I know...I'm pressing my luck asking still more: but everyone's been so decent so far...

But do bear in mind that NONE of them guarantees that your files wont be lost if the container becomes corrupted or if you forget your password.

Good point that I forgot to address. The below is "my opinion" of the 'physical safety factor' of the two encryption mechanisms.

Using a file as a virtual drive:

Easier to backup without bringing the data back out into the 'clear' - just copy the single file to a back up media.

More portable as only the file needs to be copied to any other drive, notebook, flash etc.

A disadvantage - need to anticipate your growth and create the volume size large enough to accommodate it.

Using a partition or entire drive.

Advantage that the size restriction is now the drive itself.

If portable drive, can move it to any other computer directly -plug & play-.

Disadvantage - backing up means mounting the entire drive and transferring the files unencrypted to the backup media

unless using a backup application that supports sector to sector backup.

Another disadvantage is you will not be able to use the drive for conventional, unencrypted copying unless partitioned

into encrypted and unencrypted.

Again, these are my views on it. And perhaps not as much a concern for the OP except the backing up.