Foodland Soi 5

Hans Brix

It does look like a more major project than just a refit? However it doesn't look like a tear-down, as of today. The lower-level(s) of the Nai Lert building (faces Sukhumvit) are involved as well. I'm not sure the smallish lot could accommodate a very large building.

The Foodland branch at Suk Soi 16 is certainly closer to the Soi 5 location than their new Thong Lor branch....

And I believe Suk Soi 16 is 24 hours as well now...

However, their selection of cut and prepared fresh meat is nowhere near as full as the Soi 5 store was... not sure why...

I was a regular shopper at the Soi 5 branch until it closed, and hopefully will be again when it reopens...

I never had any complaint or issue with the staff there, and in fact, a couple of the Soi 5 store checkers in particular are quite sociable...

AFAIK all of the Soi 5 staff have been re-deployed to other FL's. I always found the staff at the Soi 5 outlet to be totally friendly, kind, helpful; and never rude. In fact, in ~ 7 years I never saw them being rude to anyone, even some very loud, drunk, pushy foreigners. I tried the Soi 16 branch and was a bit disappointed; much smaller space (although the restaurant is much bigger), fewer items, prices (on the ~ 25 items or so I buy regularly) + 15-20%. Prices at nearby Villa's (Ploen Chit Center, Soi 11) are also + 20%.

I tried the Soi 16 branch and was a bit disappointed; much smaller space (although the restaurant is much bigger), fewer items, prices (on the ~ 25 items or so I buy regularly) + 15-20%. Prices at nearby Villa's (Ploen Chit Center, Soi 11) are also + 20%.

Prices higher compared to what, Loma?

For the regular items I buy from Foodland, I've not seen any particular broad price difference between what Soi 5 charged vs. what Soi 16 charges for the same exact item... except that prices have been going up on some things in the months since Soi 5 closed...

I was comparing Soi 5 Foodland prices to Soi 16 Foodland prices, within 3 - 15 days of the Soi 5 Foodland closing on ~ 25 like items. I found unit pricing to be + 15 - 20 % higher at the Soi 16 branch. I attributed this price difference, perhaps wrongly, to the location. Soi 16 seems to be a relatively wealthy residential area, with a dozen or more high-rise condos. I could be wrong, I often am.

man I am going to miss eating at foodland. I really loved that 24/7 hour diner. Great food with fast service, and a very unique and interesting vibe.

Ate there once I think, and although the food was pretty bad, the people watching at 2:30 am was off the charts.

One thing I have noticed since I started shopping at the LadPhrao branch of Foodland, was how unfriendly and downright rude the staff at the soi 5 branch were. It's like night and day compared to the friendly LadPhrao store. Of course, the customers in the LadPhrao branch are 99% Thai, while in the soi 5 branch it was more like 80% foreigner. I'm sure there is a connection here, and it does make you think of how Thais generally feel about us being here.

Come on, you don't see the connection, e.g., "people watching was off the charts" ... duh?

The degenerates that pass through that street could only be surpassed in Somalia/Sudan. At times it resembled those places ... and yes I have been there and done that. never again. Hopefully the retrofit will help discourage these folks from returning, but unlikely. That stretch along Sukhumvit is like Ho Alley somewhere in Africa, way past time for the BiB to clean it up.

man I am going to miss eating at foodland. I really loved that 24/7 hour diner. Great food with fast service, and a very unique and interesting vibe.

Ate there once I think, and although the food was pretty bad, the people watching at 2:30 am was off the charts.

One thing I have noticed since I started shopping at the LadPhrao branch of Foodland, was how unfriendly and downright rude the staff at the soi 5 branch were. It's like night and day compared to the friendly LadPhrao store. Of course, the customers in the LadPhrao branch are 99% Thai, while in the soi 5 branch it was more like 80% foreigner. I'm sure there is a connection here, and it does make you think of how Thais generally feel about us being here.

I ate there pretty often and the staff were always very nice to me. I can understand why they could be rude sometimes. They did have a lot of drunk customers who were a pain in the ass to deal with.

I really enjoyed sitting down at the bench and watching them cook, watching all the weird people from all over the world come and go, and enjoy eating some good food.

It was a key part of BKK to me. I always took my friends who visit for a meal there. There isn't another place like it sadly.

Edited by Metapod

For those of you missing foodland in the land of questionable behavior, fear not!, the one at patpong soi 2 is alive and kicking. No took la dee, or quite as much ambience as soi 5 at 2am on a saturday night, this branch has some other advantages nearbye;)

• 1 month later...

I ate there pretty often and the staff were always very nice to me. I can understand why they could be rude sometimes. They did have a lot of drunk customers who were a pain in the ass to deal with.

I really enjoyed sitting down at the bench and watching them cook, watching all the weird people from all over the world come and go, and enjoy eating some good food.

It was a key part of BKK to me. I always took my friends who visit for a meal there. There isn't another place like it sadly.

Hi Guys,

I fully agree with 'metapod' about foodland soi 5,I lived in Bkk for 8 yrs and always had good service and exceptional smiles and attitude from the staff and managers.

Apropos the restaurant there were probs with one of the order takers a woman who had been transferred from cooking to order taking and resented any ferang speaking phasa thai. But the cooking staff were amazing always helpful always flat-out in the morning breakfast rush.

I consider the food served above average and with a diverse selection of cuisine from Thai through continental and european,all well prepared and available at reasonable short order.

One of the most redeeming features were that I could always request a boy to take my shopping trolley out to the street and hail a taxi to take me home with the groceries,for the mobility impaired that became important.

However when I returned to Bkk in July I was shocked to find that foodland Soi 5 had disappeared to be replaced by a lge metal facia hiding the demolition or renovations being undertaken. But I had already returned to shopping at Villa Market on Soi 11 as it is near my bank and is more accessible than Soi 5 has become since the traffic changes on Sukhumvit Rd.

Over the years I lived in Bkk I have found the 2 existing villa markets one at Soi 33 and one in Ploenchit Ctr each had their own foibles,the market at Soi 33 always had a more extensive range of fresh and imported products - my preference was the fresh 'pork sausages' which I always bought by the kilo.

Those along with the fresh Pork Pies,Scotch Eggs and range of various Steak Pies etc were a constant source of other offshore foods available in Bkk if you knew where to look. Lastly you can always obtain what you need in Bkk but sometimes cannot find the same range as were obtained at foodland suk soi 5,their seafood and butcher shop left the others behind in range and diversity.

Renovations of Soi 5 come on...we really look forward to a desirable outcome.....

• 6 months later...

don't matter too much about the size...there was gonna be urban gorilla warfare if they took our Foodland suk soi 5 away...large gorillas with threatening poses, helpless Bangkok cops and gorillas amok...

Foodland suk soi 5 shall be my first stop when next in town...vodka, grapefruit juice...and bananas...

with tutsiwarrior and the Foodland suk soi 5 Preservation Society- Marxist/Leninist...(where's me t-shirt?...)

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Well, for those who haven't yet noticed. It has been open for quite a while now.

(not much bigger than before though)

And no matter how hard i try i still end up going by villa to get everything foodland didnt have or vice versa