Kitchen Small Appliances

cathyy

I need help choosing three kitchen appliances I plan to buy and bring to Thailand with me. I want to bring a slow cooker/crockpot, a bread machine, and a kitchen center/blender/food processor. I was unable to find any slow cookers or bread machines when I was in Thailand, and I want to get a really good kitchen center. That's why I'm not just buying them once I arrive.

Here is what I have found online:

Slow cookers: Saachi and Verona brands. Are either of these any good? I'm leaning toward the Saachi, as I want the 3.5 liter capacity, and the only Verona model I have found is 6.5 liters. Too much for two people!

Bread machines: Alpine, Severin, Domo, Kenwood. Are any of these any good? I would prefer a 3/4 kilo loaf and not a whole kilo, but it doesn't seem to exist.

Kitchen Centers: Moulinex, Kenwood, National, Braun. Are any of these any good?

Do you know of any other brands and models that are good that I have not mentioned? I am currently using KitchenAid and Cuisinart appliances, which are the top models available in the US. I want that quality and durability for my Thai kitchen.

I need help choosing three kitchen appliances I plan to buy and bring to Thailand with me. I want to bring a slow cooker/crockpot, a bread machine, and a kitchen center/blender/food processor. I was unable to find any slow cookers or bread machines when I was in Thailand, and I want to get a really good kitchen center. That's why I'm not just buying them once I arrive.

Here is what I have found online:

Slow cookers: Saachi and Verona brands. Are either of these any good? I'm leaning toward the Saachi, as I want the 3.5 liter capacity, and the only Verona model I have found is 6.5 liters. Too much for two people!

Bread machines: Alpine, Severin, Domo, Kenwood. Are any of these any good? I would prefer a 3/4 kilo loaf and not a whole kilo, but it doesn't seem to exist.

Kitchen Centers: Moulinex, Kenwood, National, Braun. Are any of these any good?

Do you know of any other brands and models that are good that I have not mentioned? I am currently using KitchenAid and Cuisinart appliances, which are the top models available in the US. I want that quality and durability for my Thai kitchen.

You are planning to buy 120 or 230 volt models? If not 230/50Hz you are risking problems as the outlets here accept normal US plugs and the voltage will be 220v at 50Hz. It will really be messy to have to have transformers in a fancy kitchen.

In any event make very sure that anything with a motor or timer operates on 50Hz or they will likely have problems with slow speed.

Believe all types of kitchen appliances can be found here if you look in Bangkok speciality shops.

This shop has some items: http://verasu.com/Thai_version/Main_th.html

After reading your last several dozen posts see that you have a history overseas so are probably well aware of the voltage/Hz issue but too late to edit my post now. I was also in Angeles from 85-88.

I had a Braun unit here many years ago and it worked well but when there was trouble no way to get it repaired so the whole system went in the trash. My policy now is to buy cheap and replace when needed. Most Thai seem to prefer manual preparation to using/cleaning small appliance (with exception of blenders) and I have given up trying to boil water so not needed for me.

cathyy, we have had very good luck with our espresso/cappuccino machine that we bought from Verasu 5 years ago. Still going strong in fact. I have always wanted to get a heavy duty ice cream machine (the kind where you freeze the bowl) but couldn't find one with the right electric. :o

Can't go wrong with Braun or Kitchenaid my mom has found at home. I am not a big fan of National as we have had problems with the National brand stuff we have bought here.

Cathy I agree with the other post regarding the voltage. I have brought a few things back from the US. Most all blew up with transformers attached. Verasu is a great shop for kitchen appliances. MY DH just went down and opicked out a gas BBQ which they delivered to Chiang Mai for 300 baht(delivery charge). Remember too most folks here have maids that do most of the chopping and at least prep work in the kitchen if not most of the cooking. I am still having trouble getting my maids to understand how to use my made in Thailand Microwave with Thai writing on the buttons. Crockpots are very easy to buy here in any department store even at Lotus. My only problem has been I want a very large one. I have now seen big ones at the border at Mai Sai. Verasu has bread makers.

Thanks for all the advice, and especially the link to Verasu. I enjoy cooking, and plan to do a bit of it in Thailand. I prefer whole wheat bread, but getting whole wheat flour might be difficult. The bread machinr is in case I can get either wheat berries or whole wheat flour. Preferably the berries.

I thought that the specific mention of getting replacements for appliances I already have meant that I knew the old voltage ones wouldn't work -or not well!- but the world is full of people who just don't get voltage differences, and I might have been one of them. :o

I will be out in Isaan, and I think a full-time maid would seem a bit pretentious and put off the neighbors. I like my neighbors. I do plan to have someone come in once a week. I had full-time help when I was in the Philippines, and overall I prefer to not have it. The learning curve is just too steep, as I am extraordinarily picky in HOW I want things done. It's hard to insist on something being done one way, without causing the maid to feel like she has lost face. I was forever asking her if she knew where I had misplaced an item, when in fact I knew exactly where I had put it, as I left it out for a reason, but she had stowed it away some place. I got the item, and she saved face by being able to find the item I had "lost," but it would have been better if she had left the dratted thing where I put it.

I did not see any bread machines in the Lotus in Nakhon Ratchasima, nor anywhere in the Central store, nor Big C. They might be available in Bangkok, as you say. More farangs, especially more farang families.

As for the larger slow cooker, how large do you want? Here's a link to

a 6.5 liter one.

• 2 weeks later...

Cathyy, verasu has bread machines, I get their catalog and they have two listed: one is a hitachi for 5200 and one is severin for 4480.

We have just ordered a mixer from them over their website, it went easily enough but we shall see how long it takes to get here :o

I will be out in Isaan, and I think a full-time maid would seem a bit pretentious and put off the neighbors. I like my neighbors.

Although I would also prefer to DIY do not believe neighbors would feel it pretentious at all if you are providing employment to a local - who is sharing her good fortune with a dozen others - who in turn are spending and helping countless others. Maid and cook type service is a part of Thailand and does not have to be the rich land owner/servant type relationship we may think of from our past. Often the link is more of mother/daughter type of a relationship and for a lifetime.

Maid and cook type service is a part of Thailand and does not have to be the rich land owner/servant type relationship we may think of from our past.  Often the link is more of mother/daughter type of a relationship and for a lifetime.

Yeah, I know. I sent my maid's oldest daughter to a private high school when I was in the PI, above and beyond any pay. She taught me how to make fried rice properly.

I don't want someone there every day, although I can think of times when it would be convenient. I want more privacy than that.

None of my neighbors have full-time help. I remember getting a bit of the fish eye from them, too, if I wasn't sweeping my porch and driveway at 7AM with them! I was definitely expected to do the same thing, followed by the socializing when we were done sweeping. The laundry had to be hung by 9AM, or it wouldn't get dry before dark. I never did so much housework before 10AM in my life, but it was nice to be all done before the real heat of the day.

Edited by cathyy

Maid and cook type service is a part of Thailand and does not have to be the rich land owner/servant type relationship we may think of from our past.  Often the link is more of mother/daughter type of a relationship and for a lifetime.

Yeah, I know. I sent my maid's oldest daughter to a private high school when I was in the PI, above and beyond any pay. She taught me how to make fried rice properly.

I don't want someone there every day, although I can think of times when it would be convenient. I want more privacy than that.

None of my neighbors have full-time help. I remember getting a bit of the fish eye from them, too, if I wasn't sweeping my porch and driveway at 7AM with them! I was definitely expected to do the same thing, followed by the socializing when we were done sweeping. The laundry had to be hung by 9AM, or it wouldn't get dry before dark. I never did so much housework before 10AM in my life, but it was nice to be all done before the real heat of the day.

We have 3 full time staff and since we have bungalows I am here most the time too. I can totally relate to the need for privacy. Seems to be a farang thing, this need to be alone. I love the girls who work for us, they do a really terrific job and are in no way annoying but its the constant human presence that gets to me after awhile.

We have 3 full time staff and since we have bungalows I am here most the time too. I can totally relate to the need for privacy. Seems to be a farang thing, this need to be alone.  I love the girls who work for us, they do a really terrific job and are in no way annoying but its the constant human presence that gets to me after awhile.

Oh, exactly, SBK. I come from a family of reclusive characters. I am guilty of it myself; I leave the house to grocery shop and make the odd trip to the computer store. I don't even have a car anymore while my husband is at work. I had one, but in three years I put 5000 miles on it, and that was a 1000 mile vacation trip plus 6 or 8 250 mile round trips to see my sister. So we got rid of it and have only one car. Why have one if I just don't need it?

And my husband is the same way. He'll run out for potato chips, that kind of thing, where I don't. But he's almost as reclusive as me. Our friend stayed with us a month before he retired to Thailand (his Thai wife preceded him by several months) and noticed that in that month we had NO company and NO social phone calls. He knew then that we'd be fine in Thailand! No horrid feeling of being deprived of our usual social activities after we move. :o