Shipping Kitchen Accesories

Has anyone had their family successfully ship their kitchen accessories from home? I have been looking everywhere for good knifes and obvious cooking articles and using ikea in my country and getting it shipped here under my wife's name would save me about 60%.. Whats the worse tax i could expect?

Would they let me receive knives?

Edited by seriouseats

If you are settling here and have a long stay type visa then you can import one lot of personal effects without paying duty. I imported a lot of kitchen stuff , including knives.

Don't know where you live, but here in CM there are several places to buy good knives. Central KSK, Robinson, Rimping so you may not need to import them

we had some very exspensive cuttlery and steel pans shipped over from the uk,3cubic mts in total,as the wife had been in the uk 20years we were told there would be no duty this end,how wrong it turned out to be nothing but hassle and payments to get our goods if it wasnt the wife collecting some very good stuff £2000 worth we would have left it,in the end it cost us 18,000bht.you should be able to carry them in your luggage,it will be cheaper for your wife to leave all her clothes and shoes behind to make room.

If you are settling here and have a long stay type visa then you can import one lot of personal effects without paying duty. I imported a lot of kitchen stuff , including knives.

Don't know where you live, but here in CM there are several places to buy good knives. Central KSK, Robinson, Rimping so you may not need to import them

While i have no reason to doubt what you say, could it have been a case of "a good day at the office" for you, so to speak?....one "that got away" where you had good fortune in not paying any duty, rather than you not being "eligible" to pay it?

The below link is straight from the horses mouth with regards to what (and who) qualifies for duty free importings of personal stuff.

The relevent part is marked in red on the site.....

http://www.customs.g...nuNme=HouseHold

HTH

Penkoprod

While i have no reason to doubt what you say, could it have been a case of "a good day at the office" for you, so to speak?....one "that got away" where you had good fortune in not paying any duty, rather than you not being "eligible" to pay it?

The below link is straight from the horses mouth with regards to what (and who) qualifies for duty free importings of personal stuff.

The relevent part is marked in red on the site.....

http://www.customs.g...nuNme=HouseHold

HTH

Penkoprod

As I understand it you are allowed to import one 'lot' if you are moving here permanently, i.e. retirement Not a good day at the office, just standard practice. I used a firm called 'Seven Seas ' that did everything. In fact i imported a second lot about a year later. Now that might have been a 'good day at the office'!

PS No tables so nothing underneath them

ADD

The link you give is for 'returning 'Thai residents' not first time immigrants, i.e. farang retirees

Edited by msg362