Pigeons: How To Get Rid Of Them

AsiaWolfie

It might work there, it didn't for me in Germany. Buggers stripped my pea vines in the space of a weekend despite all that. And then the deer came, plundered my beetroot patch and ate my roses. I grow onions now.

:o:D Sorry, Gwertz, but that stream of events is funny. My mom has similar probs with moose, deer, squirrels, and birds in her garden. Then the bears come along and hoover up all the berries. Slim pickins left for the humans.

Yeah, Jet, and that's not to mention the little burrowing mice. They're hardly bigger than a hand span, how the hel_l can they make a hole bigger than an excavator? The only good thing about them is, the moles don't like 'em and move on. And bears, ha, pussy cats! Did you ever have a visit from a herd of wild pigs? Tell your mom I said if she ever considers moving to Germany - don't!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had birds perching on our window sills too. My son had a couple of rubber snakes and I put these on the window sill and that scared them off. A real snake would be better yet but might be a problem keeping it on the windoi sill!

Try Blue Tack or similar

Or

Place between doubl glazings

I have tried many of the recommended plans of attack.

All ended in failure. Today’s plan will be to place a 3- inch coil of barbed wire the length of the top ledge of my window. I am thinking that that will defiantly work.

Just an added note, I tried to disperse the pidgins using a laser beam with very limited success. After a few time the just ignore the light.

Jim

anybody had the same problem ? how to stop them loving my balcony so much ? I dont wanna use poison (well, if its the only way to stop that.... then I would consider, though) or shooooot them :o but it s.u.c.k.s to come back to BKK after 1 or 2 weeks when I am away and then the balcony is full of s.h.i.t all over .... they love to sit on the fans of my 2 AC machines which are on the balcony....

WELL YOU COULD PUT SOME NETTING UP ACRROSS YOUR BALCONY SO THEY CAN'T GET IN BUT MY EXPERIENCE IS THE ONLY GOOD PIGEON IS A DEAD ONE. THEY CARRY ALL SORTS OF DESEASES AND ENCOURAGE RATS TO FEED ON THE SHIT..YOU WON'T WANT TO DO IT YET BUT POISON IS THE ONLY REAL OPTION OR IF SOMEONE IS FEEDING THEY POISON THEM AS WELL!! YOU WON'T WANT TO DO THIS BUT A OLD BOY BACK IN BLIGHTY WHO HAD A LARGE ALLOTMENT AND HAD PROBLEMS WITH PIGEONS USED TO GET RID OF THEM BY FEEDING THEM DRID PEAS WHICH HE HAD SOAKED IN WATER THEM PUT A PIECE OF WIRE THROUGH THE PEA.. THEY CHOKE TO DEATH SOMEWHERE ELSE SO YOU WON'T SEE THEM OR HEAR THEM AGAIN.....THIS IS WHAT PEOPLE DID WHEN THEIR FOOD SOURCE WAS IN SHORT SUPPLY...IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE PEGEONS AND WHO DOES THEN YOU HAVE TO DO SOMETHING!! MAYBE BE BEST TO MOVE APARTMENTS BUT TRY THE NETTING FIRST. GOD LUCK......

All ended in failure. Today's plan will be to place a 3- inch coil of barbed wire the length of the top ledge of my window. I am thinking that that will defiantly work.

Just an added note, I tried to disperse the pidgins using a laser beam with very limited success. After a few time the just ignore the light.

Jim

The geckos love lasers though. Had many a happy hour watching the little buggers chase that spot till they come to blows with each other.

As for pigeons, if you're really hard hearted (I can't do this, too squeamish) first feed them, get them hand tame, caress them fondly (this really works) and then grab 'em and wring their scrawny necks. They don't come back after this treatment. My grandfather in England used to do this. He also meted out the same treatment to the cats that came after his prize birds. A most patient and brutal man was grandad.

Edited by qwertz

Chinese develop remote-controlled pigeons

A flying world first

By Lester Haines

Published Tuesday 27th February 2007 11:18 GMT

Chinese scientists have pulled off what they claim is a world first: controlling pigeons via brain-implanted "micro electrodes", Reuters reports.

Xinhua news agency explained today that boffins at the Robot Engineering Technology Research Center at Shandong University of Science and Technology were able to "command [the pigeons] to fly right or left or up or down. It elaborated: "The implants stimulate different areas of the pigeon's brain according to signals sent by the scientists via computer, and force the bird to comply with their commands."

The centre's lead scientist, Su Xuecheng, proudly declared: "It's the first such successful experiment on a pigeon in the world."

Xinhua added that Su's team had already successfully experimented with remote-controlled mice, and "hoped that the technology could be put into practical use in future". Sadly, the report "did not specify what practical uses the scientists saw for the remote-controlled pigeons", Reuters notes. ®

from theregister.co.uk

We have had problems with pigeons for years I hate them the bugger`s wake me up early in the morning and shit everywhere and I agree with the poster who said they are the rats of the sky,we have tried hanging beer cans off the aircon they just got used them,tried BB guns I`m not a really good shot so that didn`t work.I boarded up above the aircon where they usually are they just moved to the piping tried yelling at them everytime they land but you cant do that 24 hrs a day.Seriously considered glueing pins everywhere so when when they land there feet will get hurt but this would take too long and the wife advised me against it.Anyway last year we decided to renovate the appartment including painting the balcony white and believe it or not we dont have a pigeon problem anymore we just

Spent 3 months in Oz came back no birdshit now the pigeon seem to visit our neighbors

But not us,I haven`t seen a pigeon land on our balcony since we painted it.Hope this helps

• 4 weeks later...

I had the same problem on my balcony in BKK!! They were making a huge mess, coo-ing half the night, and even built a nest and laid some eggs!

What I did was this:

• Bought some fishing line (cheap!)
  • Dug up a bunch of old CDs I would never use again
  • Hung the CDs on the fishing line from the ceiling of the balcony, so that the CDs dangle 3-5 inches above the spots where they would perch and sit (on the aircon units, on the light fixture, on the floor in the corner, etc.)

It worked like a charm! They have not been back since! Apparently the shiny discs turning and and swaying in the light breeze really annoys them.

Of course, when people come over and step out on my balcony, they wonder the the fkcu is wrong with me.

Good luck!

All ended in failure. Today’s plan will be to place a 3- inch coil of barbed wire the length of the top ledge of my window. I am thinking that that will defiantly work.

Jim

won't work

I had the same problem on my balcony in BKK!! They were making a huge mess, coo-ing half the night, and even built a nest and laid some eggs!

What I did was this:

• Hung the CDs on the fishing line from the ceiling of the balcony, so that the CDs dangle 3-5 inches above the spots where they would perch and sit (on the aircon units, on the light fixture, on the floor in the corner, etc.)

It worked like a charm! They have not been back since! Apparently the shiny discs turning and and swaying in the light breeze really annoys them.

Of course, when people come over and step out on my balcony, they wonder the the fkcu is wrong with me.

Good luck!

would u mind to take a picture and post it here ? seems many members have the same issues with those rats with wings...

Edited by THAILIBAN

What I did was this:

Good luck!

would u mind to take a picture and post it here ? seems many members have the same issues with those rats with wings...

It might have workedonce, but I would not count on it

Per you request, here are some pics of my anti-pigeon rig. I'm tellin' ya...it works! I put this up a year ago and they havn't been back since! Try it...if you're pigeons don't leave for good, I'll eat my hat.

post-26522-1175601159_thumb.jpg

post-26522-1175601175_thumb.jpg

post-26522-1175601184_thumb.jpg

post-26522-1175601192_thumb.jpg

Let me know how it works for you!

--M.

Most informative post on TV for ages for me.

Im currently renovating condo with BIG pidgeon problem. Im gonna paint the balcony white first see if that helps any. Ill then move onto other stuff as extras. Will keep you informed of what does/doesnt work.

Most informative post on TV for ages for me.

Im currently renovating condo with BIG pidgeon problem. Im gonna paint the balcony white first see if that helps any. Ill then move onto other stuff as extras. Will keep you informed of what does/doesnt work.

I hope you like white, because pigeons don't care what colour you're balcony is