Living In Thailand - Plan

I have secured employment with an international school in Bangkok for the next two years, and am moving there this summer.

I am Canadian, and my girlfriend, who is also Canadian, will be accompanying me to Thailand.

The plan, so far, is that while I am arriving there on a Non-Immigrant B Visa, she will be coming on a tourist visa, as we haven't secured any work for her yet (and I don't suspect we will have anything nailed down till we actually arrive there).

Regarding her employment, the basic plan is to find something that will provide her some employment and will provide a work permit. As her qualifications in Canada are in massage therapy and physiotherapy, we aren't expecting for her to find anything really in that line of work, as it's pretty much covered by thai people.

The school is in the Sukhumvit road area (Thonglor), so we are initially thinking it might be possible to find some work with one of the large hotels, or another service-industry sort of job that can take adventage of her interpersonal skills, and english-speaking. If nothing materializes in the first few weeks, We suspect it would be a good idea to pursue a certification course in teaching english as a foreign language.

My questions:

1. Does this seem like a generally sane/possible plan? Is it common to be able to find work that doesn't involve teaching english? The school will have some connections, but we also understand we're going to have to work at it.

2. Is doing a TEFL course in Bangkok a good idea? I'm sure there are some shady operations, so does anyone have some suggestions for some quality and accredited institutions? is the 120 hour type one recommended?

3. WIth regards to a Visa, would she just be going with tourist visas and having to go on runs to Laos or wherever? Is it possible to apply for a non-immigrant B from one of the neighbouring countries? is this common for TEFL or for work within a larger comany (i.e. hotel chain, etc)?

4. Anything else that could be recommended?

Thanks in advance for any helpful commentary provided.

Sounds like a plan.

As long as you have a little money behind you at the outset.

I think it will be difficult to find anything other than teaching English for your GF.

Also, you don't say, but how much experience have you or your GF had of Thailand?

How old are you both?

Be warned, Thailand can be a dangerous place for pre existing Farang relationships.

thanks for all the responses so far.

the more i hear about it, the more it seems like she'll be teaching english. are there any respected language schools in bangkok? we'll have a decent amount of money ($10k+) in addition to other savings, so money shouldn't be a huge issue.

as for the dangers of bangkok, etc. i've been warned about such things, and while i don't have specific experience in thailand, i spent a great deal of time travelling europe, so i'm familiar with the seedy aspects of tourism.

i should also have a decent support system there, as a close friend of mine has been there with his fiancee for a few years and i know some other people there.

i'm familiar with the seedy aspects of tourism

Don't believe that was the meaning. Many marriages between foreigners end due to another woman when assigned to Thailand. Although it may be the male straying that gets on the evening news; have seen it both ways (and often).