อุทาหรณ์ U Ta Hon

Neeranam

an example , a lesson , an instance , an occurrence, some mistake that you learn from.

e.g. you are stopped and fined by the police for running a red light.

"jam ow wai bpen oota horn"

"remember well your error and dont do it again.'

"let this be an oota horn for you''

its not an easy word to explain or use.

meatball will do better.

อุทาหรณ์ สอนหญิง

ฟังเรื่องนี้ไว้เป็นอุทาหรณ์

อุทาหรณ์ สอนใจ

ดูภาพนี้ไว้เป็น อุทาหรณ์

an example , a lesson , an instance , an occurrence, some mistake that you learn from.

e.g. you are stopped and fined by the police for running a red light.

"jam ow wai bpen oota horn"

"remember well your error and dont do it again.'

"let this be an oota horn for you''

its not an easy word to explain or use.

meatball will do better.

Thanks for the honour, but I don't think it's necessary - Bambi's and your own explanation are excellent already, and taught me a new word (I'd never heard it until today). Will try it out ASAP. :o

I was singing this wordอุทาหรณ์ this morning but don't here it used very often. Do you know or could you give me examples of when you hear it or use it.

Did you sing a song of Carabao “ ลุงขี้เมา “ ? :o

อุทาหรณ์ ของคนรุ่นเก่า มีชายชราเป็นคนขี้เมา …

From this song, อุทาหรณ์ means precedent

ดูพวกขี้เมานี้ไว้เป็นอุทาหรณ์นะ ว่าเวลาคนมันเมาแล้วมันไม่น่าดูยังไง

Look at these drunkards as an illustration -- how disgraceful when people get drunk.

พวกผู้หญิงควรจะดูข่าวนี้เป็นอุทาหรณ์ อย่าไว้ใจคนแปลกหน้าถ้าไม่อยากเสียใจในภายหลัง

Girls should watch this news and take it as an instance – don’t trust strangers if you don’t want to be regretted later.

Did you sing a song of Carabao “ ลุงขี้เมา “ ?

อุทาหรณ์ ของคนรุ่นเก่า มีชายชราเป็นคนขี้เมา

ดูพวกขี้เมานี้ไว้เป็นอุทาหรณ์นะ ว่าเวลาคนมันเมาแล้วมันไม่น่าดูยังไง Look at these drunkards as an illustration -- how disgraceful when people get drunk.

พวกผู้หญิงควรจะดูข่าวนี้เป็นอุทาหรณ์ อย่าไว้ใจคนแปลกหน้าถ้าไม่อยากเสียใจในภายหลังGirls should watch this news and take it as an instance – don’t trust strangers if you don’t want to be regretted later.

Is it just my eyes, but I can't read the small writing.

:o

Did you sing a song of Carabao “ ลุงขี้เมา “ ?

อุทาหรณ์ ของคนรุ่นเก่า มีชายชราเป็นคนขี้เมา …

Yes K.Yoot, that's the one. Great song, eh? I know it off by heart now. BTW, how do I say "off by heart" in Thai?

พวกผู้หญิงควรจะดูข่าวนี้เป็นอุทาหรณ์ อย่าไว้ใจคนแปลกหน้าถ้าไม่อยากเสียใจในภายหลังGirls should watch this news and take it as an instance – don’t trust strangers if you don’t want to be regretted later.

Thanks a lot for those examples! Your English translation is a bit off though.

Girlls should watch this news and heed the warning(advice) - don't trust strangers or you will live to regret it.

Edited by Neeranam

Yes K.Yoot, that's the one. Great song, eh? I know it off by heart now. BTW, how do I say "off by heart" in Thai?
Yes, great song. All of Carabao's songs are meaningful.
know it off by heart

I'm not sure if you mean จำได้จนขึ้นใจ

Thanks a lot for those examples! Your English translation is a bit off though.

I know. That is my big problem. :o

[Off topic but ...] Aet Carabao is becoming something of a ลุงขี้เมา himself. I've seen him a couple of times at 10am in the morning in the lobby of the Imperial Mae Ping (where he stays for free, in return for sponsoring that Carlsberg-conceived 'Thai' beer, whose owners also have shares in the hotel), well into his 3rd large bottle of beer (not Chang) and surrounded by admiring young female hotel staff following his every command. Always wearing the same Carabao uniform of bandana, sleeveless denim jacket, etc. He must have a closet full of duplicates!

I'd heard that some of his drinking sprees would put Shane McGowan to shame!

Most of the examples here are given as negative instances but it can be used in any context not just in a negative situation.

That's true. My Thai friends who consider themselves connoisseurs of Thai cuisine often say the best chefs are ขี้เมา.

That's strange, I thought he never drank. I met him once with the band and he drank water, as I did. This was at 9 pm at night!

Red wine is his favourite poison. In one of his books he talks about waking up and polishing off whatever wasn't finished the night before. I think he gets his head together every now and then but it's difficult to stay off it when you're in that business.

Lek Carabao can put it away too, have seen him at a local club where he had to be led in and out of the club to avoid falling down. Interesting to watch Carabao and their main fanbase change from the potent political underground force they were for awhile in the mid 80s - basically aping Caravan, who were banned from performing in the 70s - to become almost the Thai equivalent of Lynrd Skynrd.