The Wonder Of Nature

One night last year some nasty little person came into our farm and stole one of our ducks,big deal you may say !!! The duck in question happened to be sitting on 15 eggs,my wife was really upset about this and said to me that she was sad because the 15 possible ducklings wouldnt hatch without their mother.So i said to her to try putting them under one of our brooding chickens....a few days later my wife came running to me saying that the eggs had hatched and the chicken was walking around the farm with 15 ducklings following her.My wife and her family thought that i was a little bit ting tong when i suggested putting the duck eggs to a chicken and teased me a little (in a nice way),every time that a duck abandons here nest now my family puts the duck eggs automatically to one of our brooders.

post-126208-0-02721700-1304450328_thumb.

post-126208-0-68389800-1304450322_thumb.

post-126208-0-46238800-1304450325_thumb.

post-126208-0-76698400-1304450330_thumb.

The only down side to this is when the ducklings go for a swim and the mother hen just goes crazy at the side of the pond calling the back :rolleyes:

Shaggy,

Thats an excellent illustration of why you shouldn't pay much attention to the local agricultural wisdom.

Just do it, maybe they'll learn, maybe not.

Choc Dee

Lol,they can be a little set in their ways can't they? Many people also thought we were crazy for spending money on fencing and making a separate room for the young ducklings.We did this because when our ducks get fed (120 give or take a few) the little ones always get pushed out by the bigger birds.Funny enough word has got around the village and spread to the next town also,attracting more people who want to buy our ducks,it has even attracted some of the local elite :blink:

Have noticed two more farms in the area that are also doing the same as us now....figure that !!! :rolleyes: