Testing On Bangkok's BTS Skytrain Extension Begins

webfact

Testing on BTS extension begins

By The Nation

30154546-01.jpg

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) will today test the Skytrain's new OnnutBearing extension. The media will also be present.

A signallingsystem test of the OnnutBearing line yesterday uncovered an error that caused a temporary halt to the Silom Line, BTS chief operating officer Surapong Laohaunya said.

The interruption occurred during rush hour, causing crowds to build up at every station along the Silom Line. Operation resumed at about 9am.

Bangkok Governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra will lead the trial run from Bearing station, stopping off at the Bang Na station to see the skywalk and finally ending it at Bang Jak station.

Fullscale trial runs will run from June 16 to August 11 before the line is officially opened on August 12.

Passengers will be allowed to use the extension free of charge from August 12 until January 1.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-05-04

That's good news. Will have to check out the best station, for where we live in Prawet district. I suppose I would be asking to much, If I was to ask is there anywhere to park at any of the new stations?

jb1

Edited by jimbeam1

Extended Skytrain Route to Open on Aug 12

The Bangkok governor is confident that the BTS expansion for the Onnuch-Baring section will be fully operational and open for service on August 12.

After inspecting the extended elevated train route, Bangkok Governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra said he wanted to make sure that everything is ready for the official opening ceremony on August 12.

The governor said service on the expanded line will be free until January 1, 2012.

After that, BTS will start charging passengers 15 baht each. BTS expects that at least 100,000 people will use the new route daily.

The new Onnuch-Baring section has a total of five stations.

They are Bang Chak, Punnavithi near Soi Sukumvit 101, Udomsuk, Bang Na and Soi Baring stations.

The total distance is about five kilometers.

BTS Managing Director Surapong Laoha-anya said the BTS Silom station has experienced many disruption problems, possibly due to an old signal system.

It will be replaced by a new digital signal system by the end of June.

Surapong went on to say that the BTS estimates that there will be an increase of around 10 percent of passengers this year compared to last year thanks to the expanded route.

Out of estimated total revenue of four billion baht, about 3.55 billion baht will come from fares from existing routes and the rest will come from the expanded route.

The BTS also expects a 10-percent increase in passengers. Currently, there are about 500,000 commuters per day on weekdays and about 470,000 commuters per day on the weekend.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-05-04

footer_n.gif

5km isn't as far as I thought it might have been, the actual infrastructure has has been in place for at least three years, one would have thought that they could have extended it another 10 kms in that time.

free rides for 4.5 months.

who says free transport is not possible

Not free per se. You will still have to pay, but as if originating/terminating at On Nut. Probably as a result of sorting out any new pricing implications, especially on the per ride cards. I'm just pleased the Bearing extension is opening.

free rides for 4.5 months.

who says free transport is not possible

Not free per se. You will still have to pay, but as if originating/terminating at On Nut. Probably as a result of sorting out any new pricing implications, especially on the per ride cards. I'm just pleased the Bearing extension is opening.

Actually this free ride thingy is a right royal pain, the fare-collection contractor has already developed software around a flat-fare of 15 Baht for the extension. Making it free has other implications for the rest of the line :(

Extended Skytrain Route to Open on Aug 12

The Bangkok governor is confident that the BTS expansion for the Onnuch-Baring section will be fully operational and open for service on August 12.

After inspecting the extended elevated train route, Bangkok Governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra said he wanted to make sure that everything is ready for the official opening ceremony on August 12.

The governor said service on the expanded line will be free until January 1, 2012.

After that, BTS will start charging passengers 15 baht each. BTS expects that at least 100,000 people will use the new route daily.

The new Onnuch-Baring section has a total of five stations.

They are Bang Chak, Punnavithi near Soi Sukumvit 101, Udomsuk, Bang Na and Soi Baring stations.

The total distance is about five kilometers.

BTS Managing Director Surapong Laoha-anya said the BTS Silom station has experienced many disruption problems, possibly due to an old signal system.

It will be replaced by a new digital signal system by the end of June.

Surapong went on to say that the BTS estimates that there will be an increase of around 10 percent of passengers this year compared to last year thanks to the expanded route.

Out of estimated total revenue of four billion baht, about 3.55 billion baht will come from fares from existing routes and the rest will come from the expanded route.

The BTS also expects a 10-percent increase in passengers. Currently, there are about 500,000 commuters per day on weekdays and about 470,000 commuters per day on the weekend.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2011-05-04

footer_n.gif

Surapong went on to say that there will be an increase of around 10% of passangers?

I hope they increase the size of the rolling stock accordingly?

jb1

Surapong went on to say that there will be an increase of around 10% of passangers?

jb1

There's extra trains from the Silom line after it changed over to 4 carriage trains. There is also plans to increase all the Sukhumvit line trains to 4 carriages. Not sure of the timeline for that.

jb1

The Sukhumvit Line will use the old Siemens trains, the Silom Line the new Chinese ones. Both will have four carriages (like the Silom line already).

Still rush hour will probably remain crowded as in any other major city :ermm:

jb1

The Sukhumvit Line will use the old Siemens trains, the Silom Line the new Chinese ones. Both will have four carriages (like the Silom line already).

Oh well at least they are going to put extra carriages on. Pity the are not using the new Chinese ones. They seem more spacious and lighter to me? But as in all things I suppose in the end it comes down to cost?

jb1

jb1

Delivery of the thirty-five single car carriages, which will be used to create 4-car sets on the Sukhumvit line from Siemens extend over the next 2+ years, so don't expect those 12 August 2011. However, increasing 3-car sets from the current maximum of 23 to 35 should address any ridership increases, as long as they can get the signalling system/scheduling sorted out. Obviously this recent snafu on Tuesday this week may not bode well. But they'll have to make a few mistakes in order to get an operational system.