Evidence Of Termination Of Marriage For Applying For British Passport For Baby

scotsdude

Hi all,

I will be applying for a British Passport for my baby next month in Bangkok. I am British and my girlfriend Thai. I noticed on the C2 form that one of the documents required is full marriage certificate or evidence of termination of marriage. Is this a requirement? I could understand it if I was getting married. I am only applying for a passport for my baby. I am legally divorced but don't want to unnecessarily ask the ex wife for a copy of the divorce papers if it's not a requirement. Thanks for any help. P.S. The divorce papers are in Spanish and don't want the extra hassle finding an official Spanish document translator in BKK. Hence the question.

Can't answer your question. But do note that as you are not married, under Thai law you will not be considered the father of the child unless you go to court (or marry the mother).

See: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/381917-how-to-gain-parental-rights-as-a-father/

I suspect the question is on the form to establish that you are the legal father of the child. (Children born within X numbe of days of a divorce are often considered to be the children of the ex-husband).

Thanks for the reply. Will be marrying the Mother eventually so will have to get the divorce papers anyhow. I just wanted to get the wee one a British passport as soon as possible. Is there a time limit she's 15 months old now. And lastly I am already the named Father on the Thai birth certificate and from reading the page you hyperlinked doesn't count under Thai law. We both carried out an UK DNA test when our daughter was born would that not be evidence enough? Regards & Thanks again.

Thanks for the reply. Will be marrying the Mother eventually so will have to get the divorce papers anyhow. I just wanted to get the wee one a British passport as soon as possible. Is there a time limit she's 15 months old now. And lastly I am already the named Father on the Thai birth certificate and from reading the page you hyperlinked doesn't count under Thai law. We both carried out an UK DNA test when our daughter was born would that not be evidence enough? Regards & Thanks again.

The DNA proofs your are the father. But you still won't be the legal father till you have legitimized the child which you can only do according to the procedures decribed by law. For that you either marry the mother or petiton the Thai court to be recognized as such. (This cost around 10,000 to 15,000 baht and takes about 3 months).

Can't answer your question. But do note that as you are not married, under Thai law you will not be considered the father of the child unless you go to court (or marry the mother).

See: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/381917-how-to-gain-parental-rights-as-a-father/

I suspect the question is on the form to establish that you are the legal father of the child. (Children born within X numbe of days of a divorce are often considered to be the children of the ex-husband).

Not correct children born after July 06 to unmarried parents can rec. a UK passport :rolleyes:

The DNA proofs your are the father. But you still won't be the legal father till you have legitimized the child which you can only do according to the procedures decribed by law. For that you either marry the mother or petiton the Thai court to be recognized as such. (This cost around 10,000 to 15,000 baht and takes about 3 months).

He is applying for a UK passport for his child, nothing to do with Thai courts. :rolleyes:

See: http://www.thaivisa....ts-as-a-father/

Not correct children born after July 06 to unmarried parents can rec. a UK passport :rolleyes:

You are replying (again) to something else than what I said. Nowhere did I state that a child born out of wedlock can't get a UK-passport.

He is applying for a UK passport for his child, nothing to do with Thai courts. :rolleyes:

And once again you don't read the topic and just reply to soemthing that is not at issue.

Thanks for all replies. Didn't mean to cause any arguments. At the end of the day I'd just be better off getting the divorce papers from my ex, will need them anyway if we're going to get married at a later date.. Is there Spanish - Thai document translators near the Embassy in Bangkok?

Thanks for all replies. Didn't mean to cause any arguments. At the end of the day I'd just be better off getting the divorce papers from my ex, will need them anyway if we're going to get married at a later date.. Is there Spanish - Thai document translators near the Embassy in Bangkok?

Ask the embassy of a Spanish speaking country. Some have a list of translators on their website.

And once again you don't read the topic and just reply to soemthing that is not at issue.

Best read the post again and explain to me the issue :rolleyes: