What Are My Options After My Work Permit Ends?

Hi everyone,

Any help with this is greatly appreciated. I've been working in Thailand for the last three years with a work permit and one year visa. It looks like I may lose my job at the end of this month.

I still have part-time work to pay the bills but without a work permit ( a little naughty I know )

I have a daughter, she's 4 years old but my girlfriend and I aren't married. I'd like to know, what my options are to stay here?

Before I started work I was on a Non - O Visa going to Lao every 3 months but it was costly.

Is there another way?

I've looked into getting married but I can't meet the requirements regards monthly income to get the one year visa.

It doesn't look good does it!

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Gary

Edited by Bourne1974

It appears you currently have a one year extension of stay for employment - that ends the day your employment ends (regardless of work permit). You can either leave within 24 hours or extend for 7 days for 1,900 baht (or 60 days to visit child).

You can obtain a non immigrant O visa for 90 day stays on basis of child. If married you can obtain on basis of wife and also get multi entry if can show 100k in bank account (from KL). You can also extend any stay for 60 days for wife/child (but they may limit usage).

You cannot get a 1 year extension of stay based on your child till you legalize the child, in essense go to court and ask to be recognized as the legal father of the child. As Lopburi said, marrying the mother would give you the opertunity to at least apply for a multiple non-O in KL (if you can show 100,000 in the bank) and would also mean you become the legal father of the child, with parental rights.

If you are on stated as the father on the birth certificate you can get non O based on that, don't need to be married.

Only outside of Thailand.

To get inside of Thailand he would need to go to court as he is not the legal father although on the Birth Certificate.

Thanks for the help guys.

My name is on the birth certificate but I haven't been to court yet.

Could you please tell me the procedure or point me in the right direction to find out more about this.

If I could get a Non O visa inside Thailand say at Lopburi instead of going all the way to Lao every three months would be great.

Thanks again!

Gary

If you are on stated as the father on the birth certificate you can get non O based on that, don't need to be married.

To get inside of Thailand he would need to go to court as he is not the legal father although on the Birth Certificate.

You can not obtain a visa inside Thailand except as part of the process to extend for one year (change of entry status). Do not believe any local Consulates will issue more than single entry visa for child (for wife multi entry is available from some). The only other extension is 60 days to visit child and that is available on any entry one time for normal 1,900 baht and proof.

You should visit Immigration as some will accept word of mother/child but normally under age 7 is likely to require court action. Immigration can tell you if/what is required.

UPDATE 2

I found this helpful thread http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/358801-having-a-baby-in-thailand/

From what I've read it might not be enough taking the birth certificate and the blue house book or as I now know it's the Kor ror 14. I'll try it and tell you what happens.

Thanks for your help everyone

Much appreciated

Gary

UPDATE

I've had a look at the documents and spoke to my girlfriend. We did go the the local Amphur and they issued a certificate with my name on it but it's in Thai, naturally.

My name is also in the house book or what ever it's called, as the father.

So does this sound like I am the legal father to you?

If so do I just take these to Lopburi and try for a 1 year extension. I have a Non - B in my passport which I got last year to get my work permit.

Thanks again

Gary

Thanks for the help guys.

My name is on the birth certificate but I haven't been to court yet.

Could you please tell me the procedure or point me in the right direction to find out more about this.

If I could get a Non O visa inside Thailand say at Lopburi instead of going all the way to Lao every three months would be great.

Thanks again!

Gary

Edited by Bourne1974

No, you are named on the birth certificate as the father. But that means nothing.

Given th age of your child you can only legtimize your child by marrying the mother OR by petitioning the court to be recognized as the legal father.