Having A Baby In Thailand

chris5346

hi,

we're having our first child in june 2010 and i'm after information about birth certificate, dual registration/citizenship and passports etc.

i'm from the uk on a tourist visa and my girlfriend is thai , we're not married and currently living in chiang mai.

all advice appreciated,

chris

Make sure you are named on the birth certificate as the father.

As you are not married, you can only recognise the child as your by going to the court and asking to be recognised as the legal father. if the mother doesn't contest it, it should be an easy task. (Or marry the mother and you automatically bcome the legal father).

With the name on the birth certificate and registering the birth as the british Embassy you should have recgnised the child as yours under UK law and the child can apply for a UK passport.

As you are not married, you can only recognise the child as your by going to the court and asking to be recognised as the legal father. if the mother doesn't contest it, it should be an easy task. (Or marry the mother and you automatically bcome the legal father).

With the name on the birth certificate and registering the birth as the british Embassy you should have recgnised the child as yours under UK law and the child can apply for a UK passport.

AS told to me as well, make sure you either your passport or copy of when you go to the hospital for the birth. Will make it easier to have your correct name on the Birth Certificate.

AS told to me as well, make sure you either your passport or copy of when you go to the hospital for the birth. Will make it easier to have your correct name on the Birth Certificate.

The birth certificate will be in Thai script. You need to translate your name to Thai script, but do indeed bring along a copy of your passport. The child will also have a name in Thai script.

hi,

thanks for info.

what about the registering in thailand ? i read that it needs doing with in 15 days at the amphur and it's better to have my name as the one who registers ? can i do it on a tourist visa ? seems unlikely to me ? if it makes no difference maybe just let the hospital do it ?

do you know about getting a visa for myself ? apparently i can a get - non imm type o ? can i get one as soon as we have the birth certificate ? would i have to return to uk to get one or can i goto laos or malaysia etc does the hospital write out the birth certifcate and give it to us a day or two after the birth ? on the birth certifcate is the babys name just her first name or do we have to select which family name to use ?

if i return to the uk can i register the birth there instead of the embassy in bangkok ? because i heard they charge 10,000 baht ? also do i need to register for uk citizenship with-in 15 days also ?

how soon can i goto court and legalise fatherhood ? is it something fathers are doing in thailand ? i assume the 3 of us just goto court and fill in some forms ?

are there any other things that i should be doing ?

thanks guys,

chris

It needs to be done within 15 days at the amohur and you can do it on a tourist visa or visa exempt entry.

If you are on the birth certificate named as the father you can get a non-O visa from a consulate in a neighbouring country. For the extensions of stay of one yer you would need to have an income of 40,000 a month (can be from abroad) or have 400,000 in a Thai bankaccount for at least 2 months. You would also need to be the legal father to get a 1 year extension of stay.

try to register the birth with the mother to the amphur first to be recognised as the legal father. Some allow it to do it in this way, most won't however. If not, you will have to hire a lawyer who will petition the court. When the mother agrees and you are on the birth certificate it is a relatively easy process. You cna go to court right after the birh has been registered at the amphur.

The hopistal birth certificate only confirms that a baby was born, but does have the name of the mother and the father. The real brith certificate will be issued at the amphur, based on the facts you state. Since you need the names in Thai anyway, prepare your name in Thai already.

I believe the birth can also be registered in the UK, which indeed is cheaper. But don't forget to legalise the Thai birth certificate at the embassy.

hi,

thanks for info.

what about the registering in thailand ? i read that it needs doing with in 15 days at the amphur and it's better to have my name as the one who registers ? can i do it on a tourist visa ? seems unlikely to me ? if it makes no difference maybe just let the hospital do it ?

do you know about getting a visa for myself ? apparently i can a get - non imm type o ? can i get one as soon as we have the birth certificate ? would i have to return to uk to get one or can i goto laos or malaysia etc does the hospital write out the birth certifcate and give it to us a day or two after the birth ? on the birth certifcate is the babys name just her first name or do we have to select which family name to use ?

if i return to the uk can i register the birth there instead of the embassy in bangkok ? because i heard they charge 10,000 baht ? also do i need to register for uk citizenship with-in 15 days also ?

how soon can i goto court and legalise fatherhood ? is it something fathers are doing in thailand ? i assume the 3 of us just goto court and fill in some forms ?

are there any other things that i should be doing ?

thanks guys,

chris

You have to register in the country of birth, so it will cost at least 10,000 with sterling low, it is probably around 12,000 now. Once you have obtained UK birth certificate in Bangkok, the citizenship can be done at any time. Passport will be a further cost.

hi mario,

so just to clarify,

when i get my first type o all i need to take is the birth certificate (is the one from the hospital sufficient or do i need to wait for the amphur one ?) to laos and they will issue me with a one year ? do you know the cost ? (do i still need to do border crossings every 3 months ?) then after the first year i need to be legal father and show some money to extend it for another year ? are the extensions done in thailand or do i have to keep going to laos etc ?

so the hospitals just supply the forms and either they or us will take them to the amphur to process ? do the amphur do everything in 1 day ?

if the hospital want to get involved i assume the certificate gets sent back to the hospital and then they contact us ?

what do you mean by legalising the thai birth certificate at the british embassy ? is that not the same as registering it ?

on the final birth certificate what family name will the baby have ? do we decide ? does it really make any difference legally anyway ?

have you seen the form for registering the birth ? can't i just sign it at the bottom instead of my girlfriend or someone at the hospital ?

regards.

You will have to get the birth certificate from the amphur. That will be enough to get a single non-O from Vientianne, which will give you a permisison to stay of 90 days. During the last 30 days of your permission to stay you can apply for an extension of stay fo 1 year at the immigration office in Thailand for your area. It is for this extension of stay that you will need to be the legal father.

If you want to apply for a multiple non-O, your best bet is Perth, Australia.

The amphur will do everything in 1 day and yes, you can also have the regostration done by the hospital (for a fee and if they providee this service).

You either register the birth at the embassy or in the UK. if you do it in the UK, you need to legalise the birth certificate. That means the Embassy certifies that it is a real birth certificate.

The baby will have the family name of the mother or the father, depending on what you decide.

hi,

ok ,

i've found this info :

http://www.dopa.go.th/English/servi/birth.htm

it says that we need to take house registration certificate (house owners copy) we're renting a house and landlord gave us a certificate but it's in girl friends name - should i get it changed to mine ?

do you know any fathers in same situation as me who have registered the birth in chiang mai ?

are you sure that i can register the birth in uk ? do you have any internet sites that you can send with info. on etc ?

all the best,

chris

The child will be entered on the mothers hosehold book, if she has permission of the landlord and she needs the household book for the entry of the child on it. You yourself cannot be on that book as a foreigner.

Just have a look on the webiste of the British Embassy, it has a lot of information and give them a call.

• 3 weeks later...

This may not work the same way on all hospitals, but this was the process at Bumrungrad:

After the baby is born you are given a couple of forms to fill out. Signed copies of ID for yourself (passport) and the mother (national ID card) is required together with the name of the baby. This is the point where you need to inform the authorities whether the baby is to be given yours or the mothers family name. Your name have to be translated to Thai script.

The hospital will send all documents to the Amphur, and within 2 weks the hospital will call you to let you know you pick up the birth certificate at the hospital. The Amphur will also provide a document required for registering the baby in the household book. For that process, the birth certificate is not needed.

No charge for anything so far.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

we have just had the baby last week .

the hospital wanted to do everything for us - they have photocopied my passport, girl friends i.d card and our house book ( although neither of us are registered there yet, but we want to register baby there ).

i explained that i wanted to goto the amphur to register and they gave me all the paperwork - they didn't really understand me.

i now have 4 forms and the 3 photo copies that i mentioned about,

the 4 forms are written in thai - it does have my name written in english and baby name also on one page ( i gave the our names in english and thai but maybe a mistake has been made on these forms ?)

these forms don't look like the initial birth certificate i was expecting ?

any ideas on what i should do before i take them to the amphur ?

also mario i have had a quick look for getting extensions to non imm type O and you said that it's 400,000 in my bank or 40,000 a month ? i was reading and is that just for term of education ? is that from birth to 16 or 18 years old ?

regards,

chris

The paperwork is just from the hospital and confirms that a baby was born, so you can get a real birth certificate from the amphur.

Best is to go to the amphur with your girlfriend and state together that you are the father and see if they will recognize you as the legal father. If they don't, you will have to go to court to become the legal father.

If you want the child to have your nationality also, contact your embassy once you have the Thai birth certificate to register the birth with them also.

The birth certificate will be enough to get a non-O visa, but without being the legal father, you will not be able to get extensions of stay based on the child.

Extensions of stay are possible till the child turns 21 and as long as he is living with you. (See 2.18 of the police order)

hi mario,

so at the amphur what gets done differently if they recognise me as legal father or not ?

do i need to fill in the registration form or something ?

maybe i can ask my girl friend to ask that i'm recognise me as legal father - trouble is i doubt she knows what's going on.

how will i know afterwards that i have become legal father ?

also i've had a look on this page :

http://www.thaivisa.com/278.0.html

can i further stay using this part ? :

(no mention of 400,000 in bank account)

Application for further stay for a non-Thai father or mother to support children who are Thai Citizen

Required Documents

1. Immigration form 7 (Tor Mor 7)
  2. A copy of passport
  3. A 4 cm. X 6 cm. Photograph
  4. 1,900 baht application fee
  5. Evidence indicating the parental status; birth certificate or a Judical Custody order of the child
  6. Evidence presenting financial status:
    • Bank pass-book, bank statement certifying amount of money in the applicant's account, a certified documents of money transferring from oversea or evidence of income with related documents

[*]A record of interviewing the applicant

[*]The officials reserve the rights to examine or ask for additional documents if necessary

• In most cases, the request will not be approved if the non-Thai parents sponsor an adopted child who is a Thai citizen

where can i view 2.18 of the police order ? is it on the internet anywhere ?

thank you,

have a good day,

chris

The link you provided is old information, we are currently in the process of updating our information. But that will take some time, as we have to check all the information.

2.18 can be viewed here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/redirect.php...777-2551_en.pdf

The information about legalising your child at the amphur was incorrect. Some amphurs will do it if you register in person at the amphur (together with the mother), others don't. The law is a bit confusing on this point, but it seems the amphurs that insist you go to court to legalise the child have the law on their side.

You will know by asking for the kor ror 14 form, which shows the legal parents of a child, after you registered the birth.

Hi,

the hospital wanted to do everything for us - they have photocopied my passport, girl friends i.d card and our house book ( although neither of us are registered there yet, but we want to register baby there ).

i explained that i wanted to goto the amphur to register and they gave me all the paperwork

The hospital provides this service free of charge but you declined because you wanted to go through the pain yourself?

Now, I'm sure there's reason why you declined the hospitals ultra smooth free of charge process, I just dont understand what it is.

Hi,

i explained that i wanted to goto the amphur to register and they gave me all the paperwork

The hospital provides this service free of charge but you declined because you wanted to go through the pain yourself?

Now, I'm sure there's reason why you declined the hospitals ultra smooth free of charge process, I just dont understand what it is.

This way he can try to be recognized as the legal father, by showing up with the mother at the amphur. There is a small chance they will do that. If he doesn't try it, he is sure to have to go to court to becoem the legal father.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just to let you know how we got on :

We went to what i thought was the amphur but turned out it was a seperate office where births are registered and birth certificates produced ? - in chiang mai city next to a fire station about a mile from the amphur ?

they wanted a thai copy of my passport - so we went to an agency for an official translation/stamped copy.

we mentioned about kor ror 14 but they said that that's done here ?

i think it was better than getting the hospital to do it because i had the feeling that i was the person registerring the birth because i signed the birth certificate in the bottom left corner ? and few other forms which i presume someone from the hospital would have done ?

i'm not sure what will happen i presume that some more paper work will be produced ?

is the birth certificate kor ror 1 ? and kor ror 14 a final document held in a file somewhere at the amphur ?

i think i'll wait a month and ask to see kor ror 14 and see if it has my name on it , there's a good chance because baby has my family name and i think i did as much possible.

we did make one mistake which could have been easily avoided - my name had a spelling mistake in thai originally and only picked up when we got the translated copy of passport so we then had to go back to the hospital to re-do the paperwork, i asked many people to translate my name originally but if you have a difficult name to read/spell then make sure it's correct.

regards,

chris

hi,

everything done now,

last week i went to the births and deaths registry office and obtained the birth certificate as mentioned above - at the same time they started filling in the forms for registering baby at the place where we live, because i'm renting i had to get my landlord to sign the forms also,

i went to a different office this time (close to the night bazaar) to finish off the process, i took babys birth certificate, my passport , and certified translated copy and my landlords i.d card and the house title deeds - they wanted signatures on everything and made copies of my visa etc, i also took the small blue book that my landlord gave me it has the details of people registered at the house etc - it turns out this book is the kor ror 14 so i asked if i could be added as the father and they did.

so it's all possible in chiang mai if you know where to go and have all paper work in order,

thanks guys, cudn't have done it without you,

chris.

• 3 weeks later...

Well done Chris. Now you van get down to the job of parenthood. My time is only 5 weeks away. Thanks for starting this Thread. I visited the Ampur when in Patts last week and they said I needed to provide as what has already been stated. Seems like a painless exercise now.

<br>so is it fine for a baby to be both a thai and a uk citizen?<br>
<br><br>Yes, there is no problem with that. Both countries allow dual nationality if a person is born with two nationalities and that is for their life. They don't have to chose when the become of age. <br>

hello,

just thought i'd mention my latest news , i have been on a tourist visa and thought it's about time to transfer to type o - i can get a type o no problem but immigration told me that just being on the kor ror 14 book isn't enough to get the yearly extensions so i have to goto court with a lawyer to get a paper drawn up - i think maybe it's kor ror 11 or 12 ? immigration gave me a sample and it says page 11 or 12 ?

i don't know if it's the immigration being fussy or not ? i presume that going to court actually makes it legal because we both have to sign and get witnesses etc - lawyer is going to cost around 15,000 baht and may take a month ? the person we spoke to in immigration was a friend of a friend and i got the impression there's no flexability on this issue ?

so we gotta think what were going to do now.

baby doing gr8 by the way.