An American Buying A Motorbike?

Yelly

I thought it would be as easy as just buying a motorbike, but I've learned I need to make an appt with the US consulate for some reason. What exactly is the process to buy a bike with papers in Chiang Mai? I am an American citizen with good standing with a 1-year non-imm B visa.

Many thanks in advance.

As I recall, I needed to have documentation from my landlord concerning my place of residence. An option to this would be a sworn statement with notarization from the US Consulate. An appointment is indeed necessary for this service, and it will set you back $50 or 1550 baht. The statement form is available online at the Consulate website as part of the appointment process.

Or you can get a residence certificate from Immigration. 500B. Take your passport and apt/house rental contract.

OP: what do you mean by "good standing"?

As I recall, I needed to have documentation from my landlord concerning my place of residence. An option to this would be a sworn statement with notarization from the US Consulate. An appointment is indeed necessary for this service, and it will set you back $50 or 1550 baht. The statement form is available online at the Consulate website as part of the appointment process.

Edited by CMSteve

What happend to your plan to buy a bicycle? :rolleyes:

Nothing has changed. Can someone not own a bicycle AND a motorbike?

Edited by Yelly

What Steve said, get it from immigration for 500bht (two photos, passport photocopies, rental contract copies).

You don't even have to get a ticket or queue, walk over to the far counter and fill out the form, hand it in, sit and wait 10 minutes while they type it out.

(Don't you just hate the way our Consulates fleece us)

Edited by sarahsbloke

You only need the residency cert when it comes to registering it. You can buy it without it. I bought my Kawasaki without it, they told me not to bother getting one straight away as the bike was so new all the paperwork hadn't arrived from Bangkok to process any registration yet.

I did go and get it done anyway just so's not to leave anything to chance and I was lucky that the process was completed just within 30 days.

Your cert from your consulate is not limited to 30 days like the one from immigration, speak with the dealers and ask how long they think it will be before the registration is processed.

When we bought new cars and motorcycles, we provided the dealer with the information and they provided the final registration and plates and stickers. Yes, it took a month or more, but they did all the leg work. So I would recommend providing the dealer with the complete package, even if it costs you a little.

When we bought new cars and motorcycles, we provided the dealer with the information and they provided the final registration and plates and stickers. Yes, it took a month or more, but they did all the leg work. So I would recommend providing the dealer with the complete package, even if it costs you a little.

At Isuzu, no extra payment, about a month waiting, and I get a 'red plate' to use temporarily :)

When buying a motorbike, just get the res cert from immigration and the cash/card to pay for the bike. Ride home with it a few minutes later. They will call you in a couple of weeks with the Tags/plates. You do not need a red plate for motorbikes. The dealer will take care of getting the registration, etc. Its really very simple.

At Isuzu, no extra payment, about a month waiting, and I get a 'red plate' to use temporarily :)

^^ As above. I got the residency certificate by going to the immigration office with my rental contract + passport. No problems, and quick. You need a photo and copies of this and that but you can get all that from the convenient shop behind the office. It must be used within 15 days, after that you'll have to get another one.

I was advised by Kawasaki to not do this right away though - they have to wait for paperwork from BKK. Once they're ready to go to the local registration office, they call you and then you go get the certificate. Friend of mine had to go 2 times because the dealer didn't know that (Honda on Huay Khao road). By the time they were ready to get the plates his first certificate had already expired...

PS: You can legally ride off with the motorbike as soon as you have paid the money. The dealer will give you receipts for the bike, and the mandatory minimum insurance (costs a few 100 baht).

Edited by nikster