Did Bangkok Hospital Overcharges Tourists For Simple Operation Over 100% Of The Normal Price For A Local?

Sandman77

Hello !

last year in pattaya i broken my knee and get patella operation,with k wire inside ,in the mean time i come back to thailand and after a half year of recovery i must remove the k wire inside the knee,now i stay in samui bangkok hospital told me a price of 120000 bath,a frend told me,living 10 year in samui this is complete over charge toutist price,in my homecountry doctors say operation needs 20 minutes here the want charge more then one hour for it,after revovery i must pay bill by myself now,did someone know other good hospitals in samui?

depend on the location of same operation,the price are much diffrent of same hospital chain,now with out a good advice i dont know what i should do now??

What you should do is go to Bangkok.

There are no good affordable hospitals in Koh Samui. (The government hospital would be affordable, but being only a first tier hospital it will not have the capacity to do this sort of thing. )

Samitivej Sikarin is fairly close to Bkk airport and has a number of well trained orthopedic surgeons. See what price they quote. It is a private hospital so will not be inexpensive but probably less than what you have been quoted in Samui. http://www.samitivejhospitals.com/contact/en

Or, for much lower cost, but involving a trip into downtown Bangkok, try St Louis Hosp, it is a non-profit and likewise has a number of good orthopedic surgeons on staff http://www.saintlouis.or.th/main_page.php

You could also PM TV member Bumrungrad (his name is Scott) and see if he can find out the approximate cost at Bumrungrad

• 3 months later...

Bangkok Hospital is OVERPRICED in all their branches no matter what anyone tells you. Both for treatments and especially medications. When I was working and visiting here once a year for a month or two at a time I only used them. Now that I am retired here I have tried the smaller hospitals in Pattaya and have had great results for 40-50% less money. On the plus side, I have never had a problem with Bangkok-Pattaya hospital as far as treatments go, always have done a great job.