Nokia N8 Camera

DavidSL

Ok, so I wanted a smart phone and a good camera was a big need for me. So I went for the N8 - recommended by many to be the best camera phone on the market (with it's 12 megapixel Carl Zeiss lense!). I've been using the camera since yesterday and the quality wasn't too good on the screen, but I figured maybe it'll look a bit better on the computer. Wrong! So far the pictures are grainy and over-exposed, and despite fiddling with the settings I'm not having any luck getting good pictures from this camera. To rub salt in to the wound I tried my girlfriend's LG phone with it's 5 megapixels (it's probably 3 years old by now) and it takes better close-ups than my N8.

Now I KNOW this isn't a bad camera after reading numerous reviews before purchasing, and I know it's meant to be very, very good. So what's the problem? The phone clearly isn't faulty, but something isn't right with this camera, because it just isn't performing to spec, or anywhere near spec.

N8 owners, HELP!

Please, any N8 bashing, take it elsewhere.

Thanks for the laugh David!

I was actually hoping for some good comments in this tread, as I'm not that amazed by the 12 MP camera on the N8.

The video is stunning, but I still think the pics are lacking.

I'll happily post some pics once I get more used to using the camera!

On a side note - how is everyone with an N8 finding it? So far I'm really impressed, but a bit concerned by the call quality. Whilst the quality is great, it's a bit on the 'soft' side and I've noticed a few audible 'pops' or 'cracks' whilst being on a call. Is this happening to everyone? Is it a software issue or is it more likely the hardware? Whilst using the phone to play music or sound there's none of this, it only seems to be on calls - so I don't think it's a problem with the speaker, but rather the software?