Yingluck's Big Week

webfact

The first absurd statement from the Bird Flu Cover-up Minister:

barred party executive Sudarat Keyuraphan said she believed a female prime minister would have an innate ability to foster compromise and reconciliation.

What is the genetic chromosome that determines "compromise and reconciliation"? To say that females are innately better at it than males is absurd and sexist.

Not sure if you got the memo, but in this country it's still not against the law to admit that men and women bring unique qualities that are both valuable, yet different. But yes, if this was Manhattan then a statement like the above people would tend to avoid to make in public.

A statement need not be against the law to be absurd. There is no such thing as sexually divided human qualities, such as the cited "compromise", to where one sex is born with a better ability to fulfill that quality than the other sex.

If your contention is that there is, I'd encourage you to write a paper on your ground-breaking research and results.

Out of curiosity, this is the second time you've given her the title 'Bird Flu Cover-up Minister'. Were you around during the bird flu hype? You do realize that it all amounted to nothing, with fewer people dying than from any seasonal flu in any given year? Not that I want to debate this here, but 'cover up'.. you mean there are a million bird flu victims buried somewhere? In that case do tell. If not, then let's drop this angle.

If you are unfamiliar with her role during the bird flu crisis, I would suggest research in that area after your Human Quality Determined By Sex paper is published.

MR, i also think that women and men hasthe same abilities and capabilities, but the problem is that we are living in a country in which in the constitution ,both gender suposly have the same rights etc but in the reallity men has many priviledges and many rights giving to him by the law for the only reason of been a man, so is completly normal to make those kinds of statements,since in the thai cultre women are supose to be softer and more docile than man so i do will vote for her for the only reason that she's a woman, i allready saw abhisit in action,also saw some others prime minister(all of them man) so now i wanna see how she is gonne perform as PM, i don't think that she's gonne be a puppet of thaksin,but anyways if she's one i don't care too, cuz here only a few PM has been really originals te most of them has been puppets soem times of the army, some times.....anyway i hope she win and that afeter winnin' we shall not have another "pro-democracy coup", i see that in this forum there are lots of people more intereted in thai politics than thaipeople themselves, and i would like to know how many of them are able of speaking ,writing and reading in good thai, cuz if really wanna know about thai politician you should read thai newspapers and listening to thai radiostation.สวัสดีทุกคน!!!!!!:jap:

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sort of new to following the ongoing drama that is Thai politics. Can anyone point me to a brief history of the whole Thaksin thing? It's not often you see a guy who inspires such strong feelings for and against.

Google ... wiki .... the TVF search function ... every major press outlet .... ummmmm anyone in Thailand ... many people in the UK, HK, UAE, Congo, Montenegro ...... the list is literally almost endless

"unanimously"

This means no one dared go against the liege lords wishes publicly. All in favor raise your hand. Ok good, you've all been counted in, no need to ask for the Nay votes.

please i've noted that you don't like k.Thaksin,but stop writin' nonsense, if the most of the people of PTP don't like her , she has noway of becoming the formal candidate, otherwise k.Thaksin can lose many partymembers.:ermm:

If they are given exactly ONE option (Thaksin's sister) and Thaksin is funding the party ...........

"unanimously"

This means no one dared go against the liege lords wishes publicly. All in favor raise your hand. Ok good, you've all been counted in, no need to ask for the Nay votes.

please i've noted that you don't like k.Thaksin,but stop writin' nonsense, if the most of the people of PTP don't like her , she has noway of becoming the formal candidate, otherwise k.Thaksin can lose many partymembers.:ermm:

If they are given exactly ONE option (Thaksin's sister) and Thaksin is funding the party ...........

Nonsense to you I fear, but not to others I suspect.

Yes here is my choice, endorse it or be back benched indefinitely.

"Thaksin Thinks And Phue Thai Acts. "

Ah JD, don't give Councilor a hard time he's new to this incarnation.

"unanimously"

Only about two weeks ago Ms. Yingluck asked PTP to be put on the party list. Today she just happens to be number 1. Well in her own words "I would like to ask Pheu Thai members to give me a chance like what you gave to Thaksin," Yingluck said."

Not sure if you got the memo, but in this country it's still not against the law to admit that men and women bring unique qualities that are both valuable, yet different. But yes, if this was Manhattan then a statement like the above people would tend to avoid to make in public.

A statement need not be against the law to be absurd. There is no such thing as sexually divided human qualities, such as the cited "compromise", to where one sex is born with a better ability to fulfill that quality than the other sex.

If your contention is that there is, I'd encourage you to write a paper on your ground-breaking research and results.

i do will vote for her for the only reason that she's a woman

Thank you for your comment.

Good to see you have your voting priorities settled.

Edited by Buchholz

"unanimously"

thats ok, we are in thailand not in the west and here everything work differnt,and it is not only thaksin the one who found the party,i recomend you to read a litle more(in Thai):)

"unanimously"

Nonsense to you I fear, but not to others I suspect.

Yes here is my choice, endorse it or be back benched indefinitely.

"Thaksin Thinks And Phue Thai Acts. "

Ah JD, don't give Councilor a hard time he's new to this incarnation.

and what's the problem with that???btw it doesnt matter how much you concern about the ellections,you can't do anything since you can't vote, so go and get a life. i ganne leave you with one advide of my good friend bob marely:

don't worry,about a thing

cuz every little thing is gone be allright :)

i do will vote for her for the only reason that she's a woman

Thank you for your comment.

ไม่เป็นไร,fellow :jap:

thats ok, we are in thailand not in the west and here everything work differnt,and it is not only thaksin the one who found the party,i recomend you to read a litle more(in Thai):)

Note there's a difference in meaning between 'funded', 'found' and 'founded' :-)

Not that is really matters with 'Thaksin thinks, Pheu Thai acts'. Mai Pen Rai, fellow :-)

Edited by rubl

and what's the problem with that???btw it doesnt matter how much you concern about the ellections,you can't do anything since you can't vote, so go and get a life. i ganne leave you with one advide of my good friend bob marely:

ahhh ok, that explains a few things.

Enjoy another toke for me, ma'an.

marley-bob-ganja-9914173.jpg

and don't forget Bob's words for Yingluck, ma'an....

"No Woman, No Cry"

My wife votes for our family.

She consults with me to explain what is happening in the political world, because I am more plugged into it. I give her both my opinions and the pros and cons, she makes up her mind. She discusses with others, I don't dictate her vote, only request she does so informed and responsibly.

But this certainly concerns me and my family, and I don't assume, mai bhpen rai; Everything lil thing gonna be all right.

Edited by animatic

MR, i also think that women and men hasthe same abilities and capabilities, but the problem is that we are living in a country in which in the constitution ,both gender suposly have the same rights etc but in the reallity men has many priviledges and many rights giving to him by the law for the only reason of been a man, so is completly normal to make those kinds of statements,since in the thai cultre women are supose to be softer and more docile than man so i do will vote for her for the only reason that she's a woman, i allready saw abhisit in action,also saw some others prime minister(all of them man) so now i wanna see how she is gonne perform as PM, i don't think that she's gonne be a puppet of thaksin,but anyways if she's one i don't care too, cuz here only a few PM has been really originals te most of them has been puppets soem times of the army, some times.....anyway i hope she win and that afeter winnin' we shall not have another "pro-democracy coup", i see that in this forum there are lots of people more intereted in thai politics than thaipeople themselves, and i would like to know how many of them are able of speaking ,writing and reading in good thai, cuz if really wanna know about thai politician you should read thai newspapers and listening to thai radiostation.สวัสดีทุกคน!!!!!!:jap:

Thank you. That's exactly where I'm coming from.

Thai radiostation.. How about 92.5 FM in Chiang Mai. :D

Note there's a difference in meaning between 'funded', 'found' and 'founded' :-)

Not that is really matters with 'Thaksin thinks, Pheu Thai acts'. Mai Pen Rai, fellow :-)

sorry , some times i make some typing mistakes ;) it's good to see that at least somebody here can read in thai

"unanimously"

In English, we have a word " naive" you might be described as ไร้เดียงสา

rái diang-săa.

She is cute though isn't she?

"No Woman, No Cry"

nope dude,she's not gonne cry, u can b sure of that,she doesn't have a "dog's heart and deer's eyes"(like aquillis said to agamenon) like ur dear abhisit B)

She consults with me to explain what is happening in the political world, because I am more plugged into it. I give her both my opinions and the pros and cons, she makes up her mind. She discusses with others, I don't dictate her vote, only request she does so informed and responsibly.

But this certainly concerns me and my family, and I don't assume, mai bhpen rai; Everything lil thing gonna be all right.

well you words say a lot about ur wife , one person don't need to consult with anybody about who she's gonne vote for specially whe she is thai( and can read teh newspapers, whatch the tv and so on),but anyways your wife's vote is only one so......ahhh i almost forget that if all of you can read and write in thai why don't we start to use thai in ours debates so maybe more of my fellows country men can show you what thai people think B) since the most of us thai people don't have the chance of recieving an oxford education :( ,it should be very interesting,really ;)

Oh you mean these guys?

His pack of cronies, and former employees?

The Thai Rak Thai was registered on July 15, 1998, by telecommunications entrepreneur Thaksin Shinawatra

and 22 other founding members, including

Somkid Jatusripitak, (Thai: ธรรมรักษ์ อิศรางกูร ณ อยุธยา) is a former Thaimilitary officer, Member of Parliament, co-founder of the Thai Rak Thai party, and former Defence Minister. He was forced into hiding in the 2006 Thailand coup and his whereabouts are unknown.[1]Na Ayuthaya is of Chinese descent,[2][3][4] and prior to the adoption of the Na Ayuthaya family's current family surname, they went by the old family surname of na Krungthep.[5]

On 26 June 2007, they founded Ruam Jai Thai.

</h2>

Thanong Bidaya, (born Thanong Lamyai) is a Thai politician and deposed Finance Minister.

After the military overthrew the government of Thaksin Shinawatra,

he remained in Singapore where he was attending the annual meeting of the World Bank/IMF.

Thanong was invited by the government of Premier Chavalit Yongchaiyudh

to be Finance Minister from June to October 1997, the height of the Asian financial crisis.

He served as Finance Minister under the government of Thaksin Shinawatra

for a second term from August 2005 until the military coup of September 2006.

Sudarat Keyuraphan, born May 1, 1961, Thai: สุดารัตน์ เกยุราพันธ์) is a Thai politician and the deputy leader of the Thai Rak Thai party. She served as the Minister of Agriculture and Cooperatives of Thailand in the Thai Rak Thai government until its ousting in the September 2006 coup.

Sudarat also served as Minister of Public Health from October 3, 2002 to March 11, 2005.

Which included the Bird Flue scandal, where Bird Flue in Thailand was officially denied until it was out of control

Purachai Piumsombun,

In 2001 the Interior Minister of Thailand, , began a campaign to enforce his somewhat puritanical ideas of social order ...

Thammarak Isaragura na Ayuthaya,

(Thai: ธรรมรักษ์ อิศรางกูร ณ อยุธยา) is a former Thaimilitary officer, Member of Parliament, co-founder of the Thai Rak Thai party, and former Defence Minister. He was forced into hiding in the 2006 Thailand coup and his whereabouts are unknown.[1]

Na Ayuthaya is of Chinese descent,[2][3][4] and prior to the adoption of the Na Ayuthaya family's current family surname,

and

Prommin Lertsuridej.M.D. (Thai:พรหมินทร์ เลิศสุริย์เดช) (born 5 November 1954) was a Thai politician, former student leader, former Secretary General to Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, former Deputy Prime Minister in charge of economic affairs, and former Minister of Energy in the Thaksin government. After a 2006 military coup overthrew the Thaksin government, Prommin was arrested and detained by the junta for three weeks

Business career He began his business career in 1993 as Senior Manager of Business Development with IBC Cable TV (which later merged with UTV to become United Broadcasting Corporation). IBC was launched by Thaksin Shinawatra. he later became General Manager of IBC in Cambodia and Laos. In 1995, he was promoted to become IBC's General Manager. From 1997 to 2000, he was appointed VP of Ground Services for Shin Satellite. From November 2000 to February 2001, he was Managing Director of C.S. Communication, anotherShin Corporation company.[

Prommin was appointed Secretary General to the Prime Minister. Prommin was Thaksin's primary liaison in managing groups demanding justice and compensation from the government. The role allowed him to utilize the strong understanding of protestor psychology he developed during his student days.

From October 2002 to February 2003, he was appointed Deputy Prime Minister in charge of economic affairs, replacing Somkid Jatusripitak. This gave him responsibility for all key economic portfolios, including the Finance Ministry, the Commerce Ministry, the Industry Ministry, the Energy Ministry, the National Energy Policy Committee, the Board of Investment, and the privatisation of state enterprises. Key tasks included managing the 650 billion baht debts of the Financial Institutions Development Fund, price controls for agricultural products, and hallmark Thai Rak Thai grass-roots programs like farmer debt suspension, One Tambon One Product (OTOP), the Village Fund, and the People's Bank.[21

Edited by animatic

well you words say a lot about ur wife , one person don't need to consult with anybody about who she's gonne vote for specially whe she is thai( and can read teh newspapers, whatch the tv and so on),but anyways your wife's vote is only one so......ahhh i almost forget that if all of you can read and write in thai why don't we start to use thai in ours debates so maybe more of my fellows country men can show you what thai people think B) since the most of us thai people don't have the chance of recieving an oxford education :( ,it should be very interesting,really ;)

I don't have an Oxford education. I am also not English.

And my areas of expertise they don't teach at Oxford anyway.

My wife CHOOSES to consult with me. because my opinion matters to her, and you are quite wrong her one vote counts as equally to any others, and NO ONE BUYS IT.

...well you words say a lot about ur wife ,

one person don't need to consult with anybody about who she's gonne vote for specially whe she is thai...

Well now that you took a swipe at my wife as somehow less for viewing her family as worthy of consultation in her voting decisions. Feeling good now?

You then go on and indicate a racist/nationalist note, that because she is Thai she need not consider her farang husbands concerns. "specially whe she is thai"

Very classy.

You seem to be assuming if I took her home, I wouldn't consult her about my voting patterns there to see what she thought...

That is called marriage;

Two acting as one for the benefit of the family unit.

Few people except Thais become fluent in Thais sanskrit, I have a fine life without starting 10 years of study, and little else, to become a Thai political philosophy writer. It is not necessary for my life to do this. But to translate my thoughts here into Thai precisely enough would require that, and I frankly have not enough time.

TVF is a english and Thai language site, but predominantly English, with Thai not prohibited as all other languages are except for occasional tidbits, since the subject is Thailand and Thai things,. English is the international language of business and trade and the fall back language of travel in most places.

Edited by animatic

well you words say a lot about ur wife , one person don't need to consult with anybody about who she's gonne vote for specially whe she is thai( and can read teh newspapers, whatch the tv and so on),

I think it's actually against the law for foreigners to meddle in elections in any way. Best to let people make up their own mind.

ahhh i almost forget that if all of you can read and write in thai why don't we start to use thai in ours debates so maybe more of my fellows country men can show you what thai people think B)

Please don't. The forum language is English. (it's in the rules). If you use too much Thai (or even any Thai) they can use it as a reason to ban you. Please stick to English (except in the sub-section that is about Thai language), I like having a voice of reason around for a little while longer! This forum can seem often like the main participants are living in a yellow bubble, with senior posters often genuinely not understanding why some people don't think the same way they do. Then there's a minor infraction, maybe you lose your cool in one post, or use a non approved language and bam.. you're history. Play it cool... Like Marley, perhaps. ;)

since the most of us thai people don't have the chance of recieving an oxford education :( ,it should be very interesting,really ;)

Fortunately most of the main topics don't require any education. And even Oxford can't teach you everything about life. :wai:

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I would vote for Yingluck no matter what party she's from, just to see her pretty face every day, rather than seeing Suthep's face all over the news every day..

Risking the whiplash here, but I would almost say you state the reason why some still doubt it was a good idea to give women voting rights (and I'm not too sure about men either) :-)

Edited by rubl

I am sort of new to following the ongoing drama that is Thai politics. Can anyone point me to a brief history of the whole Thaksin thing? It's not often you see a guy who inspires such strong feelings for and against.

Google ... wiki .... the TVF search function ... every major press outlet .... ummmmm anyone in Thailand ... many people in the UK, HK, UAE, Congo, Montenegro ...... the list is literally almost endless

I asked this fellow the same question and he refused to answer.He has given you a useless blathering reply.I would recommend the volume on Thaksin by the husband and wife team Pasuk/ Baker which is available at most Bangkok bookstores.

Oh you mean these guys?

His pack of cronies, and former employees?

The Thai Rak Thai was registered on July 15, 1998, by telecommunications entrepreneur Thaksin Shinawatra and 22 other founding members, including Somkid Jatusripitak, (Thai: ธรรมรักษ์ อิศรางกูร ณ อยุธยา) is a former Thaimilitary officer, Member of Parliament, co-founder of the Thai Rak Thai party, and former Defence Minister. He was forced into hiding in the 2006 Thailand coup and his whereabouts are unknown.

On 26 June 2007, they founded Ruam Jai Thai.

</h2> Thanong Bidaya, (born Thanong Lamyai) is a Thai politician and deposed Finance Minister. After the military overthrew the government of Thaksin Shinawatra, he remained in Singapore where he was attending the annual meeting of the World Bank/IMF. Thanong was invited by the government of Premier Chavalit Yongchaiyudh

to be Finance Minister from June to October 1997, the height of the Asian financial crisis.

He served as Finance Minister under the government of Thaksin Shinawatra

for a second term from August 2005 until the military coup of September 2006.

Sudarat Keyuraphan, born May 1, 1961, Thai: สุดารัตน์ เกยุราพันธ์) is a Thai politician and the deputy leader of the Thai Rak Thai party. She served as the Minister of Agriculture and Cooperatives of Thailand in the Thai Rak Thai government until its ousting in the September 2006 coup. Sudarat also served as Minister of Public Health from October 3, 2002 to March 11, 2005. Which included the Bird Flue scandal, where Bird Flue in Thailand was officially denied until it was out of control Purachai Piumsombun, In 2001 the Interior Minister of Thailand, , began a campaign to enforce his somewhat puritanical ideas of social order ... Thammarak Isaragura na Ayuthaya, (Thai: ธรรมรักษ์ อิศรางกูร ณ อยุธยา) is a former Thaimilitary officer, Member of Parliament, co-founder of the Thai Rak Thai party, and former Defence Minister. He was forced into hiding in the 2006 Thailand coup and his whereabouts are unknown.[1]

Na Ayuthaya is of Chinese descent,[2][3][4] and prior to the adoption of the Na Ayuthaya family's current family surname, and Prommin Lertsuridej.M.D. (Thai:พรหมินทร์ เลิศสุริย์เดช) (born 5 November 1954) was a Thai politician, former student leader, former Secretary General to Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, former Deputy Prime Minister in charge of economic affairs, and former Minister of Energy in the Thaksin government. After a 2006 military coup overthrew the Thaksin government, Prommin was arrested and detained by the junta for three weeks Business career He began his business career in 1993 as Senior Manager of Business Development with IBC Cable TV (which later merged with UTV to become United Broadcasting Corporation). IBC was launched by Thaksin Shinawatra. he later became General Manager of IBC in Cambodia and Laos. In 1995, he was promoted to become IBC's General Manager. From 1997 to 2000, he was appointed VP of Ground Services for Shin Satellite. From November 2000 to February 2001, he was Managing Director of C.S. Communication, anotherShin Corporation company.[

Prommin was appointed Secretary General to the Prime Minister. Prommin was Thaksin's primary liaison in managing groups demanding justice and compensation from the government. The role allowed him to utilize the strong understanding of protestor psychology he developed during his student days. From October 2002 to February 2003, he was appointed Deputy Prime Minister in charge of economic affairs, replacing Somkid Jatusripitak. This gave him responsibility for all key economic portfolios, including the Finance Ministry, the Commerce Ministry, the Industry Ministry, the Energy Ministry, the National Energy Policy Committee, the Board of Investment, and the privatisation of state enterprises. Key tasks included managing the 650 billion baht debts of the Financial Institutions Development Fund, price controls for agricultural products, and hallmark Thai Rak Thai grass-roots programs like farmer debt suspension, One Tambon One Product (OTOP), the Village Fund, and the People's Bank.[21

Someone needs to update Wikipedia... Their current whereabouts are all to well known!<_<

......ahhh i almost forget that if all of you can read and write in thai why don't we start to use thai in ours debates so maybe more of my fellows country men can show you what thai people think B) since the most of us thai people don't have the chance of recieving an oxford education :( ,it should be very interesting,really ;)

Interesting idea, but against forum rules:

"English is the only acceptable language, except within the Thai language forum, where of course using Thai is allowed."

I asked this fellow the same question and he refused to answer.He has given you a useless blathering reply.I would recommend the volume on Thaksin by the husband and wife team Pasuk/ Baker which is available at most Bangkok bookstores.

Or just start with Wikipedia. Articles on Thaksin, and on the 2006 Coup please.

I don't have an Oxford education. I am also not English.

And my areas of expertise they don't teach at Oxford anyway.

My wife CHOOSES to consult with me. because my opinion matters to her, and you are quite wrong her one vote counts as equally to any others, and NO ONE BUYS IT.

"well you words say a lot about ur wife ,

one person don't need to consult with anybody about who she's gonne vote for specially whe she is thai"

Well now that you took a swipe at my wife as somehow less for viewing her family as worthy of consultation in her voting decisions. Feeling good now?

You then go on and indicate a racist/nationalist note, that because she is Thai she need not consider her farang husbands concerns. "specially whe she is thai"

Very classy.

You seem to b assuming if I took her home I wouldn't consult her about my voting patterns there to see what she thought...

That is called marriage; Two acting as one for the benefit of the family unit.

nope dude i am not nacionalist neither racist, and when i say that the most of us dont have an oxford education i am not talking about you(how egocentric ) i am talking about abhist,i didnt asked you if you were english or not,and maybe ur wife relly consult with you every simple decition that she makes(;) ) just cuz u r marry to her but i don't care that's ur familly problem not mine but what can tel you is that you like it or not we are gonne win,why??? cuz we look better(compare abhisit with our candidate) we are smarter( you hav been almost 4 year trying to make us dissapear from the thai politics,but you cant :) and unfortunatelly for you guys we have the support of almost the mayority of the farmers, and the poor people of this country,so,i am sorry for you!!!

pathetic isn't it?

"No Woman, No Cry"

nope dude,she's not gonne cry, u can b sure of that,she doesn't have a "dog's heart and deer's eyes"(like aquillis said to agamenon) like ur dear abhisit B)

Wow, that's some good stuff you got.

smiley_smoking.gif

Edited by Buchholz