Expat Survey Shows 84% Happy In Thailand, Thaksin Not Popular

george

I am 40 years old . My wife, son and I moved to Thailand in September 2008 in the midst of the financial crisis . I had no idea about visa regulations and believed I could come in on a tourist and suss it out later . I found out by trial and error what visa was best for me . I have had a non o multiple based on marriage for the past two years . I am working away in construction and come and go a fair bit . I do call Thailand home and we have built a wee bungalo up country . Home is where your heart is .

"What's that in the shadows ? Don't don't don;t don't don't don't don't don't look around yooo !" :guitar: Shug.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You make an assumption that people are confused when they state that they've lived here for years, but aren't on an extension of stay.

Personally, I have lived here for over 10 years (bought the house with my wife back in 2000), but as I've always worked abroad and do occasionally have to actually go into the office, I've never been in country long enough (3 months+ at a time) to do the extension of stay at immigration, so I am still using a non-immigrant visa.

I would imagine I'm also not the only one. For instance oil-workers doing 4-on/4-off in Africa (Angola/Nigeria/Equatorial Guinea) could live in Thailand for years with nothing more than their 30 day entry stamps.

Q9 asks on what basis are you currently staying in Thailand. 742 respondents said they were on extension of stay. Q10 is a follow-on question and asks if on extension of stay, on which type is it based. I would expect to see a total (barring input errors) agreeing with that in Q9, but in Q10 2,183 people say they are on extension of stay. The figure of 742 in Q9 cannot therefore be correct, and seems those responding are somewhat confused over terminology.

Nice to see 30% is Thais here to talk with us farangs.

I posted on another thread and asked if I was the only Thai here and most said yes or that there was 2 or 3 other Thai's.

I also like to read the headings news but do not like most of the comments. From what I have seen now can such a big percentage say they love living in Thailand when all they do is complain about it here?

As far as foriegners posting about our politics goes, I think that this is a good site where they can "vent" their opinions however Our University has conducted many surveys over the years and our students have found that with most foriegners, normally the first girlfriend they have here in Thailand decides what political party they lean towards. For instance if a 35 year old foriegner's first gf is from Issaan and her family are farmers and support a certain party or person then it is most likely that they will follow this through the rest of their stay in Thailand wether they change girlfriends or not. Or visa versa where a foriegner finds his first gf in Bangkok whos family is part of the Elite then the opposite is found.

Most foriegners after living here for awhile then start to study or read up on our politics and form their own opinions which is also not a great idea because with the Media and many who cannot read or understand Thai news, the information they find is very missleading. Even as a Thai the information most commeners find is also missleading so it really is not a true opinion that is formed yet an influence of their new family (foriegners I mean) and lack of understanding of the Thai language or our "inside" political system.

I think your study may be skewed by looking at mostly retirees. If you look only at working class farangs I think you get a different view. The fact is, my extreme hatred for Thaksin and everything the Thaksin loving red shirts stand for is entirely my own, and comes as a direct result of working in the telecom industry and seeing what that piece of filth was with my own eyes.

And there are several farangs I know with exactly the same opinion and for exactly the same reason. Despite the stereotype that seems to be propagated, (namely that farangs are incapable of understanding Thailand and are therefore easily deceived) there are many farangs who are quite capable of understanding the Thai system for what it is, and appreciating the nuances of the political scene here. Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on your perspective, the extreme malevolence of Thaksin makes understanding of nuance unnecessary. That man is pure evil. The world would be a better place if he were not in it.

Thaksin's government will make economy better, there will be less prostitutes walking streets and soi Nana

this is probably one of many reasons expats and those parasitical elites are not a big fan of him.

WELL SAID!!!you know is funny that the most of the other fellows farang(i am half farang and halve thai) are so old, we certainly need some fresh blood here :)

Wonder why that is so, eh? Perhaps because retirement visas are easy to come by if you have enough cash - but the Thai Government make it as hard as Satan's HQ for those of us under 50 - especially those that are not married to a Thai. Want new blood? then the immigration laws need to change - the West is undergoing a brain drain (it has been happening for years, but nothing like local recession to fuel it) - if Thailand wants to catch some of that IQ (and what comes along with it) - it needs to attract rather than intensionally repel immigrants that bring something to the country other than pure cash (reminds me of charities that give food to Africa - helps it the short term, but as a consumable - like cash - all too quickly replaced by need for more - best charities invest in the future of the country with projects that allow countries to feed themselves instead - build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day, set him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life). Every major country makes it harder for retirees and easier for young families that bring something to the table (because most major countries have some form of welfare so costly oldies are much less desireable than future building young - but also because they fill needed jobs, new ideas, new industry and so forth). The elite is frightened of the competition (and the raising of education levels which will see their demise - which always follows), the powerful are frightened of loosing the snatch-now cash in their pockets that they can scam every way from Sunday - with those in control only taking and never looking towards Thailand's future - its a dismal one to be sure.

So I must disagree - for Thailand, it's not funny at all that most expats here are retired (and that most young that do get in can do nothing to improve the country economically, but are foreced into teaching English for peanuts) - nope, not funny at all!

Nice to see 30% is Thais here to talk with us farangs.

I posted on another thread and asked if I was the only Thai here and most said yes or that there was 2 or 3 other Thai's.

I also like to read the headings news but do not like most of the comments. From what I have seen now can such a big percentage say they love living in Thailand when all they do is complain about it here?

As far as foriegners posting about our politics goes, I think that this is a good site where they can "vent" their opinions however Our University has conducted many surveys over the years and our students have found that with most foriegners, normally the first girlfriend they have here in Thailand decides what political party they lean towards. For instance if a 35 year old foriegner's first gf is from Issaan and her family are farmers and support a certain party or person then it is most likely that they will follow this through the rest of their stay in Thailand wether they change girlfriends or not. Or visa versa where a foriegner finds his first gf in Bangkok whos family is part of the Elite then the opposite is found.

Most foriegners after living here for awhile then start to study or read up on our politics and form their own opinions which is also not a great idea because with the Media and many who cannot read or understand Thai news, the information they find is very missleading. Even as a Thai the information most commeners find is also missleading so it really is not a true opinion that is formed yet an influence of their new family (foriegners I mean) and lack of understanding of the Thai language or our "inside" political system.

Good post Geeraphun!

Westerners (Farang) are, in general, used to the freedoms of speech back home - we have grown up listening to western news media. We are introduced to debating and moralising over history, geography and politiucs from quite early in our schooling - rather than just remembering lists of facts. This means that we tend to debate and question things that seem at odds to us - to the Asian way of thin king this comes across as moaning or dislike. Hence the often - "if you don't like it go home" response - when i reality, if we didn't like it we already would have (and moaned about it back hom,e) - the fact that we are still here and still discussing, means we do like it - it means we care about it and it's future (the "it" in this case being Thailand). It is a cultural difference - as we see little but apathy, lack of concern, uneducated sheep-like following and obvious propoganda/misdirection and lies all around us, Thais see moaning farang - we just have different cultural ways to deal with life.

To your university's assertion that most farang follow the political view of their first Thai girlfried - I would personally totally agree - most farang have little knowledge and can not be bothered to self educate with history of this country either - so they hear soundbites and repeated rhetoric from their new family and it becomes truth for them. This is most, but not all. The more educated, wise or simply politiucally astute (or bothered to be) amongst us glean our own views - indeed, I believe that if your university divided their surveys up by term of stay here, they will find that most farang come to their own ideas eventually anyway (some never will - their are plenty of sheep in our own countries too - Murdoch tells many how to vote in several countries with his media empire). The same would also be true for Thais too - they will tend to follow their family political line too.

Regarding age of members: Most of my 'same-age' friends and co-workers know of the site, have read it or still red it, but most are not active members, i.e. do no post on any daily basis and most likely missed this survey [as did I]. Too much work, family and partying. :)

• 1% - me- responds that Thaivisa is unquestionably fair and an excellent resource to all who inquire about Thailand
  • 1% - me - Indicate Thaivisa moderating is fair. Actually more than fair. I would go so far as to say magnanimous! This does not mean I want to pick out curtains with the mods.
  • 1% - me - am married to a Thai! It ain't pretty, but this girl on her worst days is better than my best days with my lady friends back when I was a pup. She's a diamond.
  • 1% - me - believes that what the gods do has nothing to do with me. I have more in common with a bar of soap than I do with pontificating fools who spend more time making love to themselves in the mirror than coming down to the people's level and popping a top with the locals.

Thaksin not popular! HAH!Who said that? The newspaper editor and the reporter?

Never met the man, so I will hold back my opinion.

The reporter should do the same, or at least have the cojones' to offer the man a beer and sit down with him and hear him out.

As I said before; I have a blue PVC pipe running under my house, and every time I flush, I have fond recollections of the media and their galacticly stupid articles!

I am 48 and I have yet to meet a person who has been polled!

I've met more lottery winners than that!