Irish Visa For Thai Girlfriend

Hopefully theres someone out there who can give us some more advice.

First I'm an Irish citzen with good job , and financially secure.

My thai girlfriend works for Uk company in Bangkok and is applying

for a UK visa through here work. Her work will sponsor her and I have helped here with the funds. Hopefully she will get visa within a few weeks. So I will visit her in the UK.

Then she will apply for Irish visa , I will act as gaurntor is anybody out there who can advice on how long this process will take and how difficult it is to get a

Irish holiday Visa?

I wil submit

a) letter from work

:o morgage details

c) and quarntor letter and how we know each other

d) my bank details

e) funds in her account

f) phone bill

Any other details that should be submitted ? She has a degree which she will submit with her application.

What type of visa's are available ? can she reenter multiple times.

I was thinking of also sending flight bookings . I hope she will make it

in time for Christmas.

We are hoping to marry next year in Thailand and I was wondering what rights

if any does she get after marriage i.e. what type of Visa can she get then and how long for ? . We wnat to live in Ireland.

All advice welcome

for a UK visa through here work. Her work will sponsor her and I have helped here with the funds. Hopefully she will get visa within a few weeks. So I will visit her in the UK.

Then she will apply for Irish visa , I will act as gaurntor is anybody out there who can advice on how long this process will take and how difficult it is to get a

Irish holiday Visa?

I wil  submit

a) letter from work

d) my  bank details

e) funds in her account

f) phone bill

Any other details that should be submitted ? She has a degree which she will submit with her application.

in time for Christmas.

if any does she get after marriage i.e. what type of Visa can she get then and how long for ? . We wnat to live in Ireland. 

All advice welcome

Oh well since all the know alls wont reply to you i'll try to help a fellow country man.

You seem to have all in order and the fact that she will get an English visa should help.

Send plenty of information with the application,work details and holiday details,preliminary flight reservation,where and with whom you will be staying.

Can't think of anything else. Good luck.

Irish holiday Visa?

I wil  submit

a) letter from work

d) my  bank details

e) funds in her account

f) phone bill

in time for Christmas.

All advice welcome

Oh well since all the know alls wont reply to you i'll try to help a fellow country man.

You seem to have all in order and the fact that she will get an English visa should help.

Send plenty of information with the application,work details and holiday details,preliminary flight reservation,where and with whom you will be staying.

Can't think of anything else. Good luck.

Thanks Tayto for your response its very much appreciated. Its good to here from a fellow Irish man.

She has everything together now to apply for UK visa so she will send it in this Tuesday. Hopefully beacause her company sponsor her it will not take too much time if we are lucky.

I'm going to visit her end of October and will bring all my details so that she can submit everything with application for irish Visa.

She is due to travel to the Uk in November . I was thinking she would be better to wait until after she visits and returns from the UK before submitting application for Irish visa at least that way they can see that she travelled and returned

What would you recommend ?

If we fail to get Irish Visa by Christmas I was going to get her to travel to Belfast and at leaset I can stay with her in Newry or somewhere close to be border. I'm from just south of the border anyway. Is there any problems with her getting into

Belfast on the UK Visa I presme not .

Thanks again Tayto for the response we scraped a result out of Cyprus last night it was not pretty.

If she's working in the UK, will visit Ireland then return to the UK, I suspect the best guarantee is evidence that she's got a genuine job to return to, i.e. letter from employer. That's the standard requirement for a tourist visa to Ireland anyway, together with an Irish address (hotel/friend).

As for after marriage in Thailand... The situation has changed a couple of times recently, but I believe it now is that she's entitled to move to Ireland immediately, stay indefinitely and work in any legal capacity, as long as you continue to live together as husband and wife. There is no standard process for her gaining citizenship (read: they haven't sorted it out yet) but expect it to involve staying over 5 years and be discretionary. Therefore she does not instantly become entitled to state benefits. Obviously she needs to get the appropriate visa in advance, and renew it. Oh, and there's something involving the Irish consulate in BKK before you marry.

As you may have spotted, I know a couple in the middle of doing this right now :-) Contact me by PM if you like, for all the agonising details :o

You could try the Visa helpline

Dublin: 01 633 1000

They might be able to shed some light on things for you.

Be wary about applying for visa in UK, as she is a Thai national and as such may have to apply in her own country, again the Visa people should be able to confirm this or not as the case may be.

If applying in BKK, I was informed that the visa takes 4-6 weeks,

She would need to send 3 photos along with the fee 25 euro's, a letter from her Thai employers stating she would be returning to her job at a certain time, also a bank statement on headed paper, as her sponser I'm not sure if your bank statement will do.

I hope this helps out, as I'll be applying for visa for my gf for next summer, dare not take her over to Mayo in Winter.

Cheers

Mickmac

As some others have stated, your GF will need to apply for her visa at the Irish consulate in Bkk.

The visa will take 4-8 weeks to process and they will retain her passport during the application process:

Basically if it is her first application the Bkk Consulate will forward it to the Embassy in KL.

The KL embassy will then send it to the Dept of Immigration, who will in turn forward it to the dept of justice equality and law reform... there some middle aged menopausal Biddy will decide on the application depending on whether she could be bothered reading half the supporting documentation or not.

Once she has been refused they tell your gf about the refusal and will look for more paperwork to be submitted.

After you appeal the decision they will probably knock you again. (1 more month)

You may need to write personally to the Minister Of Justice)or have your TD do it for you). Finally the application will be considered on its merits and the visa may or may not be issued.

The Crux of the problem is that according to DOJ guideleines the decision to grant the visa is totally down to the Visa officers "opinion" and The Dept of immigration are very "down" on Thais at the moment

Have a look at the post below:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=29020&hl=

This link give the latest Visa guielines from the Dept of Justice:

http://www.justice.ie/80256E01003A21A5/vWeb/pcJUSQ65WHUV-en

This one tells you the visa requirements:

http://www.justice.ie/80256E01003A21A5/vWe...itionalDocs.pdf

There are quite a lot of criteria which must be fulfilled...

Of course she could be lucky and it may be granted within 5 days by the embassy in KL... depends once again on how generous the visa officer is feeling in KL!

Great news she got six month visa for the U.K.

So thanks to everyone who has responded so far.

I think the main reason she got Visa was a very good letter from her manager

confirming that she would return.

So I hope to meet in her in London next weekend and then we both fly back

to Bangkok the following weekend and so friday week we will apply for Irish visa in bangkok . So hopefully the fact she has UK visa will stand to her.

shall keep you posted on our progress

Mick Visa Requirements:

Letter of invitation

Your Recent Bank Balance( 2months old max)

Her Recent Bank Balance(2 months old max)

Letter from her Employer stating she will return to work in Bangkok.

Both you and her Return Flight Itinery Printout(make it for 1/2 weeks ahead so they will rush the process through for you).

Baht7000 processing fee including DHL delivery to KL and return to Bangkok.

Make 3 photocopies of ALL above documents.

3 Passport Photographs(yes three).

Bring your passport also to Tisco Tower.

Finally.Both girls in the Consulate are very efficent and speak perfect Gaelic(Engrish).Submit all of the above and be polite and you should not have any problems.

My GF got her visa for the Republic in 4 days!!!

Best of luck a chara.

Mick Visa Requirements:

Letter of invitation

Your Recent Bank Balance( 2months old max)

Her Recent Bank Balance(2 months old max)

Letter from her Employer stating she will return to work in Bangkok.

Both you and her Return Flight Itinery Printout(make it for 1/2 weeks ahead so they will rush the process through for you).

Baht7000 processing fee including DHL delivery to KL and return to Bangkok.

Make 3 photocopies of ALL above documents.

3 Passport Photographs(yes three).

Bring your passport also to Tisco Tower.

Finally.Both girls in the Consulate are very efficent and speak perfect Gaelic(Engrish).Submit all of the above and be polite and you should not have any problems.

My GF got her visa for the Republic in 4 days!!!

Best of luck a chara.

Whooh four days I did'nt think  they would turn around visa so fast I hope we are as lucky thanks for all the info. Well did your girlfriend enjoy Ireland and the weather ?

How long did they issue travel visa is the max 3 months for Ireland  ?

Do you know if there's any problem flying into Belfast on a UK visa ?

I presume not . we wil stay just north of the border and not risk going south just in case I don't want us to ruin any chance of getting Irish visa.

Did you have to say much on how you met ?

well thanks for all the advice I must start getting all my details together.

Whooh four days I did'nt think they would turn around visa so fast I hope we are as lucky thanks for all the info. Well did your girlfriend enjoy Ireland and the weather ? We have not gone yet and prolly not go now as the visa is up on November 4th 2005 and and I can't be arsed.

How long did they issue travel visa is the max 3 months for Ireland ? Visa is valid for 3 months from date of issue.I expect she will get 1 month on arrival and then get a further 2 month extension from a local Garda station.

Do you know if there's any problem flying into Belfast on a UK visa ? Should not be a problem as NI is for some strange reason STILL part of the UK .

I presume not . we wil stay just north of the border and not risk going south just in case I don't want us to ruin any chance of getting Irish visa.

Did you have to say much on how you met ? Never came up.

well thanks for all the advice I must start getting all my details together.

Best of luck and enjoy.

Edited by Eric Davis

Hi U2,

Sorry I did not see your post earlier. I have been busy – my Thai girl friend has just left Dublin this afternoon (Sunday 16th) after a 3-month (with 6 month multiple entry visa) stay.

Its great (for once!) to be able to speak with authority on this forum!

Aor (my much better half) has travelled here 4 times in the last 18 months. We found the Irish Consulate in Bkk to be very helpful and obliging. The first time we were worried and thought that it would be very difficult. We ensured that all the documentation was in place: letter from her bank (balance more than “x”), invite letter from me (I believe that this is an important point), letter that she has her own business (or employment letter) and other incidentals.

The first time there were a couple of panics (and phone calls to here (Ire) at 3am to scan and email another (clearer) copy of my Irish passport) but in no time we received the 1st 3-month visa.

The only problem Aor had was with the Poms (transit through Heathrow) when the 3rd time they were difficult! So this last time she came via Amsterdam.

Be confident – there will be no problem! If you have a problem pm me and I will will give you any help I can.

Bang Pra (Paul)

Hi Bang Pra, thanks for that message , I feel a lot more confident that she can get visa you here so many horror stories about people waiting months.

My girlfriend already went round to the consult to collect the application form and

she said she had asked many questions and found the people very helpfull.

so fingers crosssed .