Good Hostel Near Laguna

Bashty

Hey people,I'm going to run the halfmarathon in Phuket on 12.06. that is going to take place somewhere near Laguna (never been to Phuket, but that seems to be the name of an area, hope you know what I mean :) ).I'm a volunteer up in CM, so I don't have much money at hands and am surely not willing to pay several thousand baht per night. I'm looking for a cheap and clean hostel. No cockroaches, shower (shared bathroom is fine) and a fan would be nice.I'll rent a motorbike, as I heard about the crazy tuktuk prices, so it's okay if the hostel is a few km away from the running area and beach (http://www.phuketmarathon.com for information).Can you suggest any hostels or hotels to me? :-)Also I'll probably go there by bus. Is it possible to get a motorbike near where the busses arrive? I'm not really willing to pay 400 baht for 5-10 minutes drive...Thank you all in advance,Sebastian :-)

Sorry for the bad formating, I used the "quick topic" function and it seems that my linebreaks were not transfered :(

Thank you Thaigerd for the recommendation, but I'm sure that there will be guesthouses for LESS than 3k Baht per night. I really cannot afford that much.

I've been to other islands (with less tourists of course, but still) and got around for 200 B/night. I guess that this won't happen in Phuket, but 500B/night should be possible.

Hi Sebastian, I'm going to speak about your post on 91.5FM www.phuketfmradio.com tomorrow morning in the breakfast show, hope we can help you find somewhere....

Thank you

Wow, thanks!

Can you tell me about which time it will be? I have Thai lessons in the morning, but maybe I can manage to listen to it before lessons :-)

Thank you!

Sebastian

PS: Cheap price, a clean single room and a shower (shared is fine) are all I need. :-)

Check pineapple guesthouse in karon. Cheap, bit away from the marathon area though, but that should be no problem with a bike.

Edited by stevenl

The marathon organizers don't put out a list of accomodations and pricing? Seems a mistake.

OP-The Eden Club Resort (no people, not affiliated or anything like Eden Club Bangkok), they are just up the street from The Laguna Complex.

GOM-Laguna puts together a discounted package for each resort within the complex. However, all packages have been booked out since the first week announcement of the marathon to my knowledge!

The marathon organizers don't put out a list of accomodations and pricing? Seems a mistake.

OP-The Eden Club Resort (no people, not affiliated or anything like Eden Club Bangkok), they are just up the street from The Laguna Complex.

GOM-Laguna puts together a discounted package for each resort within the complex. However, all packages have been booked out since the first week announcement of the marathon to my knowledge!

Thanks Amyb.

I have to think the resorts in Laguna, even discounted, might be above some runners budgets. I can understand them wanting to promote their own resorts, but they should still offer nearby "hostel or backpacker or budget accomodations" list and numbers. Cheers, GOM

They do put together a list of accomodations and pricing, for example here: http://www.goadventureasia.com/PIM/pimaccom.shtml

The cheapest room though is 1840 B/night at the discounted rate, but already sold out.

If I could only get such a room, I would probably cancel my visit, because as a volunteer without a paying job my budget is rather limited :-)

@TheRunningMan: Thanks for wishing me good luck. If you should run too: Best luck to you! :-)

@everyone who suggested guest houses/hotels: I will have a look at those, thanks a lot!

If it's not directly in the area it's fine, I'll have to rent a motorbike anyways, because I heard bad bad stories about the tuktuk prices :-)

As long as it's not more than a half hour ride, it's fine ;-)

Thanks again for everyone who is helping!

Sebastian

• 2 weeks later...

Quick Update: I booked one night at the Pinapple Guesthouse, looks really good, has a lot of good reviews and the staff replied fast and friendly.

I'll see how far it really is to laguna and how well I get along with everything and then I'll see whether I'll stay in Pineapple or change the guesthouses (one of those Bangtao Bungalow things looks good).

Thanks everyone for helping :-)

Btw: Is there a Mc Donalds near the racing area? I'd like to stop by there after the race :D

I stayed at a place a few years ago, but can't remember the exact name. :(

Bangtao Bungalows, perhaps? It was located about 2K from Laguna.

That place is closed and instead are a bunch of new almost always empty hotels that I'm sure if you did walk ins, you' get a very good price I know. Adjacent Surin beach only 5 minutes south from Laguna has room at a cute hotel Capri for 900 / nite. It's a better beach too as far as night life , slightly ..but nothing like Patong of course .

Mickey-D's at Tesco Lotus Express centre ( which is the worst shopping in Phuket., stinks like sour meat. ) Big one in Cherng Telay much much better for junk food any way

Edited by TigerWan

Laguna has 5 empty resorts to fill.

Money first

Money Above All .

Money

If you stay at pineapple you could pass patong on the way back. You can even go for burger king there.

Thanks! I'm really thinking about staying there all the time, but I'll just see how I like it.

I'm off to bed now, thanks to all of you for helping me out, especially mark who mentioned me on his radioshow and good luck to every runner for sunday! :-)