Bai Nai?

Semper

What's the deal here? Are they really interested in where one is going? Or is it just a way to start a conversation

or is it a way to say hello? Any ideas? :rolleyes:

Edited by Semper

They're just being polite. A Thai equiv of saying "how are you" when you meet someone. You don't really wnat to know how they are, but ask out of politeness. The same when a Thai asks you if you've eaten 'gkin khao rouyang' or the like. Again, it just a polite thing to say. No big deal at all.

I often reply with " I am going shopping !" and then counter with a " How old are you , Do you have children , How much money do you earn in a year ?" . I put on a clipped BBC accent for these interactions .

I often reply with " I am going shopping !" and then counter with a " How old are you , Do you have children , How much money do you earn in a year ?" . I put on a clipped BBC accent for these interactions .

:lol:

Maybe he should be saying "going to bank to get loan" :cheesy:

Maybe he should be saying "going to bank to get loan" :cheesy:

How much are you offering mate ? :thumbsup:

When someone says 'what's up', are they really interested in what is up?

Then you reply:

My wife has left me and taken the kids, last night my house burned down, the dog died, I lost my job, the banks have closed all my accounts and I’m bankrupt and the doctor has given me 6 months to live.

By what type of response you receive from the what’s up or how are you enquirer will determine if they really care or not.