Opinion Polls Show Pheu Thai Still Ahead

webfact

'dissent' sorry - as for the other comments I'm not sure what you are referring to

Ooooh ...

Dissent is tolerated quite well as long as it remains decent. You are entitled to your opinion and others are entitled to theirs. Your opinion is subject to comment upon as are the opinions of others. If you say something factually untrue there are people that will point that out. If you put forward an opinion stated as fact you will be asked to prove it .... as for my other comments ... of course you aren't :)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'dissent' sorry - as for the other comments I'm not sure what you are referring to

Ooooh ...

Dissent is tolerated quite well as long as it remains decent. You are entitled to your opinion and others are entitled to theirs. Your opinion is subject to comment upon as are the opinions of others. If you say something factually untrue there are people that will point that out. If you put forward an opinion stated as fact you will be asked to prove it .... as for my other comments ... of course you aren't :)

everybody is entitled to their view yes - please remain polite. I have obsereved many people making comments which have been blasted - not for being unfactual but just not going with the forums 'hue'. I don't believe I said anything unfactual and would respectfully suggest that you may not (GASP) always be right and others have a different view - very few things are 'factual' and most on TV is just 'opinion'. Thank you.

no doubt if the poll was in reverse and showed the dems ahead then the usual forum yellows would be accepting and telling us all why the poll is indicative of the whole country, there really are some muppets on this forum :lol:

yes random you are right of course - but expect to be crucified here as decent is not tolorated 90% of farangs are Dems and a fair number yellow to boot

"decent is not tolerated"? HUH? Decent is not only tolerated, it is treated respectfully.

As far as I am aware there are only a few farang on the board that are eligible to vote. Which would make 99.99% (or whatever) not Dems and not PTP .... As for board members with political opinions, most of them are decent and post their opinions and respect other people's right to disagree. Those that are not "decent" resort to one-liners or find themselves removed, though it is always fun when they reappear pretending to be newbies but with strong opinions about long-term forum members :) The mods quite often catch them out quite early.

:lol::D 3 day member complaining...

edit: sorry, 5 day member

Edited by Buchholz

First a poster (lets call him A) remarks that you can expect to receive adverse comments for not following what some of the more prolific posters perceive to be the party line, a not unreasonable view given much of the recent content.

Then one of these prolific posters says no, all opinions are respected and views are welcome on this board. Very good to hear it.

Then another prolific poster, with strong and often expressed views, which follow what many perceive to be the party line, sneers at A for being new to the forum!

You really couldn't make it up!

Edited by JAG

First a poster (lets call him A) remarks that you can expect to receive adverse comments for not following what some of the more prolific posters perceive to be the party line, a not unreasonable view given much of the recent content.

Then one of these prolific posters says no, all opinions are respected and views are welcome on this board. Very good to hear it.

Then another prolific poster, with strong and often expressed views, which follow what many perceive to be the party line, sneers at A for being new to the forum!

Oh ... you can certainly expect people to nail you on your opinions particularly when those opinions are stated as facts. That everyone is entitled to an opinion is a given ...

That a 5 day old member would have an opinion about the history of the board suggests something else .... in this case clearly something else ... :) edit--- and yes I had to PM block our new poster :)

Edited by jdinasia

no doubt if the poll was in reverse and showed the dems ahead then the usual forum yellows would be accepting and telling us all why the poll is indicative of the whole country, there really are some muppets on this forum :lol:

yes random you are right of course - but expect to be crucified here as dissent is not tolorated 90% of farangs are Dems and a fair number yellow to boot

edit: spl as pointed out so gracefully by our friend JD

Absolute rubbish, and I think yuo will find there are very few people who support the PAD here either. Both Red and Yellow shirts have caused far too much disruption in this country over the past 5 years, latterly The Reds who are strongly associated with Thaksin have bought significant violence and intimidation onto the street. There is a difference, The Yellow shirts aren't necessarily Dems, but there is little doubt that The Reds are an arm of PT.

It doesnt matter how far ahead PT gets, it wont matter for them.

Thankfully we have the courts and coup options that will be used if they (PT) get in power to remove them.

Although I am a big fan of democracy like many of my fellow posters here, in this particular case some sacrifices need to be made to remove this blight (PT) at any cost. :)

Edited by bungalownights

Ooooh ...

everybody is entitled to their view yes - please remain polite. I have obsereved many people making comments which have been blasted - not for being unfactual but just not going with the forums 'hue'. I don't believe I said anything unfactual and would respectfully suggest that you may not (GASP) always be right and others have a different view - very few things are 'factual' and most on TV is just 'opinion'. Thank you.

Well how about giving us your opinion then? So far on this page you've agreed with a poster who made a comment on other posters, and made comments yourself on other posters. I've yet to see you tell us your views and reasons for them. For example, do you really think having Thaksin back will be worth the trouble that is likely to erupt?

Well how about giving us your opinion then? So far on this page you've agreed with a poster who made a comment on other posters, and made comments yourself on other posters. I've yet to see you tell us your views and reasons for them. For example, do you really think having Thaksin back will be worth the trouble that is likely to erupt?

Thaksin will probably only come back if the majority of Thai people vote for PTP.

yes random you are right of course - but expect to be crucified here as dissent is not tolorated 90% of farangs are Dems and a fair number yellow to boot

edit: spl as pointed out so gracefully by our friend JD

Absolute rubbish, and I think yuo will find there are very few people who support the PAD here either. Both Red and Yellow shirts have caused far too much disruption in this country over the past 5 years, latterly The Reds who are strongly associated with Thaksin have bought significant violence and intimidation onto the street. There is a difference, The Yellow shirts aren't necessarily Dems, but there is little doubt that The Reds are an arm of PT.

Well from where I am sitting I recall gun wielding yellow shirts and an airport a few years back. Did Taskin get voted out or was he removed? So many questions and so few real answers as you and me will never find out the truth. Relax and kick back July 3rd approaches people ............... then panic! biggrin.gif

Well from where I am sitting I recall gun wielding yellow shirts and an airport a few years back. Did Taskin get voted out or was he removed? So many questions and so few real answers as you and me will never find out the truth. Relax and kick back July 3rd approaches people ............... then panic! biggrin.gif

One yellow shirt with a hand gun?

Thaksin actually resigned.

One yellow shirt with a hand gun?

Thaksin actually resigned.

Unfortunately more than one that you may have seen on your news. The camera can be made to tell any truth, Stalin was a master at that trick. As for Taskin it was, as they said in the Godfather film, an offer he could not refuse.

I don't support any party as I don''t get to vote so I have no axe to grind, unlike a lot of far more knowledgeable people who entertain me in this forum. Just let me put on my running shoes and get to the blocks :-) x

Unfortunately more than one that you may have seen on your news. The camera can be made to tell any truth, Stalin was a master at that trick. As for Taskin it was, as they said in the Godfather film, an offer he could not refuse.

Where else was it if it wasn't on the news? Other reports? Other evidence? Certainly not to the extent of camouflaged men running around with army rifles?

Thaksin couldn't form government, but he could have stayed on as care-taker. Instead he chose to appoint a deputy to that position ... until he changed his mind a bit later.

Then he was removed from his self appointed care-taker position.

Thaksin was long gone when the PAD were at the airport. Nobody is suggesting letting any PAD off the hook for their behavior. Thaksin resigned then came back and was removed --- but that was years earlier. Just to help you remember ... the PAD Gov't house action and Airports actions were in 2008 --- Thaksin resigned in 2006. Thaksin was convicted after that .. and has more charges facing him when/if he returns.

(BTW --- there probably were some PAD with guns at the airport --- but the photos I remember of the PAD shooting were after they were attacked on the way to the airport.)

THIS thread however is about some more screwy polls showing nobody (yet) has a commanding lead in the polls!

Thaksin was long gone when the PAD were at the airport. Nobody is suggesting letting any PAD off the hook for their behavior. Thaksin resigned then came back and was removed --- but that was years earlier. Just to help you remember ... the PAD Gov't house action and Airports actions were in 2008 --- Thaksin resigned in 2006. Thaksin was convicted after that .. and has more charges facing him when/if he returns.

(BTW --- there probably were some PAD with guns at the airport --- but the photos I remember of the PAD shooting were after they were attacked on the way to the airport.)

THIS thread however is about some more screwy polls showing nobody (yet) has a commanding lead in the polls!

Nobody is suggesting letting any PAD off the hook for their behavior. :whistling:

Where else was it if it wasn't on the news? Other reports? Other evidence? Certainly not to the extent of camouflaged men running around with army rifles?

Thaksin couldn't form government, but he could have stayed on as care-taker. Instead he chose to appoint a deputy to that position ... until he changed his mind a bit later.

Then he was removed from his self appointed care-taker position.

you have missed the point by a country mile,

Do you really believe all you see on the news???????? The so called news is easy to manipulate as they show one bit and magnify it to make you look like you said something you did not. According to the "News" all of Isan was descending on Bangkok last year............. Oh and the point is the camera lies before you ask. See my points about Stalin

Not an answer to my question but never mind I get used to it. Screwy polls and innocent Yellow shirts brandishing weapons, well another story,

Not an answer to my question but never mind I get used to it. Screwy polls and innocent Yellow shirts brandishing weapons, well another story,

Yes, you're so very right. Mind you, brandishing weapons? I may have missed something, but pray tell, what weapons did the yellows brandish?

you have missed the point by a country mile,

Do you really believe all you see on the news???????? The so called news is easy to manipulate as they show one bit and magnify it to make you look like you said something you did not. According to the "News" all of Isan was descending on Bangkok last year............. Oh and the point is the camera lies before you ask. See my points about Stalin

That's why I added "Other reports? Other evidence?"

It wasn't in the news and the camera lies, so that means the PAD had lots of guns.

Just because you shouldn't believe everything you see in the news, doesn't mean you should believe it because it's not in the news.

indeed... very 'cliquey' on here isn't it - some people with 1000s of posts seem to think they know everything - as if TV really did reflect the 'real' world rather than be just a forum for discussion - they obviously have a very high opinion of themselves to post 1000s and 1000s of comments - each to their own I guess.

Ooooh ...

no I don't think Thaksin comming back is a good idea at all - yet I think PT will gain the most votes for a single party and has the momentum. Thais I talk to are very unhappy with the present government for many reasons - nothing to do with Thaksin although people try to link ALL opposition to the Dems as Thaksin - this is a serious mistake and doesn't warrant serious intellectual scrutiny in my view. I am for reconcilliation not witchhunts.

It is scary to read the details of what she is promising to accomplish!

Eradicate drugs in 12 months??? How exactly?

The problem is that these are popular topics in the village. Most folks in the village could care less what the international court thought about the extra-judicial killings, they wanted the problem solved and it was. Trying to convince them that it was not a long term solution will be impossible before the election and can only come from the King. He understands sustainability.

If the Democrats were smart they would be talking to the red shirt leaders and working out some programs that DO have a chance of working without wrecking the country.

I told my wife and my Thai family that I think that the best outcome would be to elect the Dems and give a strong voice to the reds in a persistent, organized, nonviolent manner. The red's have legitimate issues and they should be addressed, but just like in the west change comes slowly and you got to feed the billionaires or they will take their money and go elsewhere. Even the power holders know that this current situation cannot last the way it is, but they need strong leadership from the red's to NEGOTIATE reasonable change. If the power holders dig in than, well in the words of Bob Marley; "A hungry Man is a Angry Man"

The red's need to understand that a good negotiator gets what he can today and keeps getting what he can everyday after. Precipitating a civil war makes everyone lose for decades a many thousands of lives and a future of mistrust and resentment. Get a few of these BG's in there to negotiate, they're expert "closers"

Gandhi helped get the Brit's kicked out of India, no small feat, through nonviolent, direct action. The red's should pay attention to that lesson.

<snip>

If the Democrats were smart they would be talking to the red shirt leaders and working out some programs that DO have a chance of working without wrecking the country.

<snip>

That might work if the red leaders were interested in improving the lives of the poor.

no I don't think Thaksin comming back is a good idea at all - yet I think PT will gain the most votes for a single party and has the momentum. Thais I talk to are very unhappy with the present government for many reasons - nothing to do with Thaksin although people try to link ALL opposition to the Dems as Thaksin - this is a serious mistake and doesn't warrant serious intellectual scrutiny in my view. I am for reconcilliation not witchhunts.

If PTP were to gain the most seats, but without an outright majority, and needed the BJT in order to form a government; and if the Democrats came second, but they too could form a government in a coalition with the BJT, then which way would it go? Given that the PTP have already ruled out working with the BJT? I could see the wheeling and dealing going along the lines of Newin agreeing to work with the PTP as long as Yingluck wasn't PM, and Thaksin not given amnesty. Should that happen then after a while we'd probably see the strange sight of the red shirts protesting against a PTP government, followed by the disintegration of the PTP into the die hard red/Thaksin supporters and those who just want to be in government. Enter the Democrats and we're back where we are now. Should the PTP succeed in forming a government without the need of the BJT then it won't be long until the amnesty plan is on the agenda and we'll be back where we were in 2008. "Vote for us and go nowhere, at best!" An admirable campaign slogan.

In my opinion though, if the Democrats did come second, but could form a coalition government with the BJT, then that is what would happen, possibly with a change in PM. That would no doubt lead to more red protests and continued posts by those who fail to understand how a parliamentary democracy works.

Regarding your last point, I don't see how calling for justice under the principle that no one is above the law can be classed as a witchhunt. Even ignoring the war on drugs, the Tak Bai and Krue Seh incidents, following the evidence laid down in the asset case there can be no doubt that Thaksin needs to answer the charges laid against him. If they are worried about biased courts, then why aren't they saying he'll come back and face the charges once/if they form a government? Surely then the courts will be impartial, if not biased towards them? All these "politically motivated" excuses conveniently forget that his own brother in law was PM when he was last found guilty.

If PTP were to gain the most seats, but without an outright majority, and needed the BJT in order to form a government; and if the Democrats came second, but they too could form a government in a coalition with the BJT, then which way would it go? Given that the PTP have already ruled out working with the BJT? I could see the wheeling and dealing going along the lines of Newin agreeing to work with the PTP as long as Yingluck wasn't PM, and Thaksin not given amnesty. Should that happen then after a while we'd probably see the strange sight of the red shirts protesting against a PTP government, followed by the disintegration of the PTP into the die hard red/Thaksin supporters and those who just want to be in government. Enter the Democrats and we're back where we are now. Should the PTP succeed in forming a government without the need of the BJT then it won't be long until the amnesty plan is on the agenda and we'll be back where we were in 2008. "Vote for us and go nowhere, at best!" An admirable campaign slogan.

In my opinion though, if the Democrats did come second, but could form a coalition government with the BJT, then that is what would happen, possibly with a change in PM. That would no doubt lead to more red protests and continued posts by those who fail to understand how a parliamentary democracy works.

Regarding your last point, I don't see how calling for justice under the principle that no one is above the law can be classed as a witchhunt. Even ignoring the war on drugs, the Tak Bai and Krue Seh incidents, following the evidence laid down in the asset case there can be no doubt that Thaksin needs to answer the charges laid against him. If they are worried about biased courts, then why aren't they saying he'll come back and face the charges once/if they form a government? Surely then the courts will be impartial, if not biased towards them? All these "politically motivated" excuses conveniently forget that his own brother in law was PM when he was last found guilty.

Some very good points... thank you. I wasn't suggesting Thaksin should be 'let off' but if the law is applied equally and fairly nor should anyone including the coup leaders etc. Sometimes it is better to have a peace rather than pursue every ounce of retribution - South Africa for example.

I agree that BMJ will likely form an alliance with the Dems and hence the government - as you say this is parliamentary democracy but it doesn't help those voters who will vote for the PT in their millions and probably will have the largest single party vote. So some sort of reconcilliation, at some point, will have to be considered if we are to avoid continual unrest - what's the alternative?

<snip>

<snip>

That might work if the red leaders were interested in improving the lives of the poor.

Good point, I hope they are or their going to have some very unhappy people (supporters) on their backs. There is no way they (reds) can do what their promising without wrecking the economy and raising the stakes for violence.

Certainly the red supporters and participants are ONLY interested in improving the lives of the poor.

Poll: Pheu Thai-Democrat rivalry neck-to-neck

BANGKOK, 1 June 2011 (NNT) – Competition between the Pheu Thai Party and the Democrat Party is neck-to-neck in nine provinces in the lower North, according to a recent survey by Naresuan Poll of Naresuan University.

Social Science lecturer Asst Prof Dr Jak Panchupet from Naresuan University chaired a press briefing on the survey. It was conducted with 1,828 respondents in nine lower northern provinces from 29 to 30 May 2011 regarding the upcoming election.

The Pheu Thai Party got the highest popularity with a 23.2% support from the respondents, followed by the Democrat Party with 22.2% and other parties 4.5%; however, the remaining 50.1% of the respondents are still undecided which parties they will go for.

As for prime minister candidates, 31.8% of the respondents preferred Democrat candidate Abhisit Vejjajiva, while another 29.6% wanted Pheu Thai candidate Yingluck Shinawatra. 7.3% of the respondents chose other candidates while the rest of 31.2% had not made any decision yet.

37.1% of the respondents said they can accept it if the political party winning the majority seats has successfully formed a new government without the leader of that party becoming the prime minister. However, 33.7% of the respondents cannot accept it while other 29.2% refused to comment.

52.2% of the respondents believed that vote-buying will be higher in this election while 7.1% thought the opposite. 24.8% of them were not sure while 15.9% said it will remain in the same level.

50.1% said they can accept it if a political party which does not have the majority of MP seats can form a new government with supports from other parties.

42.7% of the respondents were not sure how the situation in the nation will change if Thailand has a female prime minister.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2011-06-01 footer_n.gif