Any Yaris Cross owners ?

Was looking to buy a new Car/Suv & have looked @ the Yaris cross Hev & looked at some reviews  etc but would like to hear firsthand from anyone who has got one about how it is

I Don't  care too much about power etc as I know its not a powerful  car but I drive a lot of km so more interested in fuel consumption  & reliability  etc

Regards

24 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Have you thought about an EV? 

I would be interested in why you discounted one.

Agree

OP should seriously consider taking a peek at the BYD Atto 3, if wanting an SUV.  Not just kick the tires, but a short test drive.  Pretty sure he'll be impressed.

While there, peeked at the other BYD offerings, to see if the tick most of you boxes.

I know you are only interested in a Yaris Cross as your OP says 'Ány Yaris Cross Owners' and this is more than likely off topic.

But for value, economy and reliability have you considered my favourite mode of transport?

300px-Left_side_of_Flying_Pigeon.jpg

13 hours ago, LosLobo said:

I’m planning to become a Yaris Cross owner later this year.

My decision is primarily influenced by Toyota’s reputation for reliability, their extensive dealer network, the compact size of the vehicle, and its impressive ground clearance of 210mm.

While the vehicle’s fuel economy is certainly a plus, it doesn’t significantly impact the total cost of ownership for me.

This car isn’t just for me - it will be shared among my partner, her daughter, and myself. Its smaller size makes it easy to handle, park, and manoeuvre, which is a big advantage for the other halves.

Living in Thailand, we often encounter flooded roads. The high ground clearance of this vehicle makes it a very practical choice.

My son had the opportunity to drive this model recently and he was particularly impressed by several features:

1)  The convenience of a hybrid that doesn’t require charging like an electric vehicle.

2)  The elevated driving position that offers a panoramic view aided by the 360-degree camera.

3)  The comprehensive Safety Sense package.

4)  The smooth acceleration and deceleration without excessive engine revving, a common issue with most CVTs.

In conclusion, this vehicle seems to tick all the right boxes for our family’s needs and preferences.

Mostly valid points. 

I’ve lived in Thailand over 15 years and apart from the floods back when Yingluck was PM, I must say I’ve been able to avoid flooded roads.Fortunately, I don’t live in Pattaya.

As for the battery, I can honestly say that charging the battery of an EV at home is arguably more convenient than filling up at a petrol station.

I do understand that there are many that still prefers an ICE and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that. Similarly, there’s also nothing wrong with preferring an EV if your circumstances allow.

• Love It 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Gweiloman said:

Mostly valid points. 

I’ve lived in Thailand over 15 years and apart from the floods back when Yingluck was PM, I must say I’ve been able to avoid flooded roads.Fortunately, I don’t live in Pattaya.

As for the battery, I can honestly say that charging the battery of an EV at home is arguably more convenient than filling up at a petrol station.

I do understand that there are many that still prefers an ICE and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that. Similarly, there’s also nothing wrong with preferring an EV if your circumstances allow.

Thank you for your general approval of my 'points' and your graciousness in saying that there is nothing wrong with the OP's and my preference.

I remember the 2011 Bangkok floods well; I was living near Min Buri at the time.

Pattaya is not the only place in Thailand that experiences regular flooding. In fact, flooding is generally part of life in most of Thailand’s river-bound, coastal, and high rainfall areas in the south. If you have generally avoided it, you are indeed very fortunate.

When I first came to Thailand in 1999, I used to wonder why Thais traditionally build two-storey houses in such a hot climate. It soon became clear that this is a practical response to the frequent flooding.

As for charging at home, it’s not always the most convenient option for my son and myself. We often travel long distances away from home and also to remote areas where charging stations may not be readily available. Therefore, the convenience of home charging may not be 'valid' in our case.

If you want to argue about ICE vs EV, there a topic on this very subject running concurrently, I am sure there are many there who will accommodate you.

Edited by LosLobo
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

If you want to argue about ICE vs EV, there a topic on this very subject running concurrently, I am sure there are many there who will accommodate you.

Yep, keep your ICE and buy and EV for shopping, or any shorter trips that don't require charging. That's how I see "Hybrid", keep it simple and stupid.

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, LosLobo said:

I’m planning to become a Yaris Cross owner later this year.

My decision is primarily influenced by Toyota’s reputation for reliability, their extensive dealer network, the compact size of the vehicle, and its impressive ground clearance of 210mm.

While the vehicle’s fuel economy is certainly a plus, it doesn’t significantly impact the total cost of ownership for me.

This car isn’t just for me - it will be shared among my partner, her daughter, and myself. Its smaller size makes it easy to handle, park, and manoeuvre, which is a big advantage for the other halves.

Living in Thailand, we often encounter flooded roads. The high ground clearance of this vehicle makes it a very practical choice.

My son had the opportunity to drive this model recently and he was particularly impressed by several features:

1)  The convenience of a hybrid that doesn’t require charging like an electric vehicle.

2)  The elevated driving position that offers a panoramic view aided by the 360-degree camera.

3)  The comprehensive Safety Sense package.

4)  The smooth acceleration and deceleration without excessive engine revving, a common issue with most CVTs.

In conclusion, this vehicle seems to tick all the right boxes for our family’s needs and preferences.

I thought the Yaris Cross had a CVT gearbox in addition to the electric motor?  It may rev less when accelerating, as the electric motor provides assistance, but I thought it still had CVT?

If you want all electric drive plus an ICE for charging, the Nissan Kicks is an option.

17 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

I thought the Yaris Cross had a CVT gearbox in addition to the electric motor?  It may rev less when accelerating, as the electric motor provides assistance, but I thought it still had CVT?

If you want all electric drive plus an ICE for charging, the Nissan Kicks is an option.

You are correct!

Though, I did not say the Yaris Cross did not have a CVT transmission.

You are preaching to the choir I know how the Yaris Cross HEV manages the petrol engine/electric motor integration.

Thanks for the information but why would I want a Nissan Kicks?

Two good reasons are the previous two Nissans I owned.

57 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

You are correct!

Though, I did not say the Yaris Cross did not have a CVT transmission.

Thanks for the information but why would I want a Nissan Kicks?

Two good reasons are the previous two Nissans I owned.

The Kicks is all electric drive, which reduces any maintenance issue with the ICE drive system, such as the rubber belt CVT.  The Kicks also has an ordinary car battery, so no expensive replacement needed in future.

The latest Kicks has had an interior upgrade, so it looks more upmarket inside than the first version.  Generally Nissan have a better ride than Toyota or Honda, and the Kicks is reasonably quiet at highway speeds.

The one pedal system is great in heavy traffic.

But a downside of Nissan is higher depreciation than Toyota, although it's new price is slightly lower cost than the Yaris Cross.

I'm looking to replace an X-Trail, and as there's no new X-Trail in Thailand, I'm considering downsizing to a Kicks or a Yaris Cross.  Also looking at CR-V, but it looks like a chest freezer, and the Subaru Forester, which is currently a great price.