Injured Girl'S Dad Waits For Smrt Aid

dunkin2012

Injured girl's dad waits for SMRT aid

He hopes plans for help will be in place in a week; SMRT says it has offered assistance

By Jalelah Abu Baker ST_IMAGES_JATHAI31.jpg

Mr Peneakchanasak with daughter Nitcharee at Tan Tock Seng Hospital, where she has been warded since her fall onto the train tracks at Ang Mo Kio MRT station, which led to her losing both legs. Mr Peneakchanasak said he was 'confused' and unsure of what his options for financial assistance were, but whatever help SMRT could give would be 'most helpful'. -- ST FILE PHOTO

ALMOST two months after his daughter lost both legs in an MRT accident here, Mr Kittanesh Peneakchanasak is hoping that the train operator's plans for helping him will be in place by the time he returns here in about a week.

'I haven't thought about what to do if it doesn't give assistance,' said the Thai national, who is the father of Nitcharee, 14, through an interpreter in a phone interview with The Straits Times on Monday from Trang in Thailand.

He did not elaborate on what help SMRT has provided so far.

An SMRT spokesman told The Straits Times: 'We have been in touch with Mr Peneakchanasak and officials from the Thai Embassy, and have offered our assistance. It is mutually agreed that details of our discussions be kept confidential.'

She added that the case is still under investigation by the authorities, and that SMRT has been cooperating with them.

A spokesman for the Thai Embassy said that SMRT has been in touch through meetings and e-mail messages, but possible modes of assistance had not been firmed up yet.

Strange accident, she fell onto the tracks ? SMRT has double doors so outer doors cannot open until ttrain is alongside

Double doors?

Not in Ang Mog Kio that time,not in many other stations.

However - accident is strange,apparently she fainted,according to eyewitness;but I heard

somebodys opinion,that she had been pushed by other passengers,who were in rush for seat.

Rat instinct prevails in Singapore and you can observe this yourself on MRT stations.

Strange accident, she fell onto the tracks ? SMRT has double doors so outer doors cannot open until ttrain is alongside

Not at AMK, it's an overhead station (like BTS). I remember reading about this before when I was last in S'pore. I would imagine that the young girl will be taken care of by SMRT, and I'm guessing that the med bills and such are included. A sad story though.

Have toi say that I've not witnessed the pushing and shoving at AMK over the years, although some of the stations in the CBD, there can be a little bit more pushing and shoving.