thai Nationals Only

Minimum salary for one year visa based on nationality, that’s normal…

Married a local and don’t have advantages, that’s normal…

Is there a foreigner town as the likes of China towns/arab towns all over the world, or even football teams where 80% of the players are descendents of foreigners that came to live in the country decades ago, that’s normal…

There is no racism, it’s just maipenrai…

For more info see Office of Special Counsel for Immigration Related Unfair Employment Practices. Could you imagine Thailand even having such an office? For sure it would be an "inactive post".

Of course, all bets may be off since the passage of the USA PATRIOT act.

I think you should read the US laws a little bit better. It says:

All U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents, and work authorized immigrants are protected from national origin discrimination.

Meaning, those who aren’t US citizens, non-lawful residences and don’t have work authorisation are not protected from national origin (anti) discrimination laws

For some reason, it goes pretty much unsaid in most places in the west that you need a work permit or the authorisation to work. I’m guessing that the English language job ads in Thailand just has to make doubly clear that unless you have work authorisation, don’t bother applying……and the only people under Thai law with automatic work authorisation are Thai nationals. There is no such thing as a Thai permanent resident with work rights, like the US has ‘green cards’.

The OP's complaints are directed at the wrong culprit I'm afraid. Like it or not, the policy of hiring mostly Thais will never change but it isn't the companies themselves who are to blame for this. Rather it's the government. The government makes it hard for foreigners to come to Thailand and get a job because they want to try and keep most jobs, meaning unskilled ones that anyone can do, for their citizenry. Every common job that a foreign person would get takes it away from a Thai. The government here isn't about to let foreigners drive buses, work at McDonalds, waitress at restaurants or be cashiers at the store. Any Thai person could do this job and they want them to get it. It's completely understandable. Thats why people with special skills are given special status and expedited visa processing because there isnt enough locals to fill that particular job. The U.S. does this too with certain tech people from all over the world, especially India, where they are granted special visas to come to America for work.

Meaning, those who aren’t US citizens, non-lawful residences and don’t have work authorisation are not protected from national origin (anti) discrimination laws

This is true but since

1.) U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents, and work authorized immigrants look and sound just like non-U.S. citizens, non-lawful permanent residents, or non-work authorized immigrants;

2.) Employers are limited in what they're allowed to ask an employee or how closely they question an employee's documention;

3.) The risks of an anti-discrimination case (when an employer makes a mistake) are much more severe than anything the Immigration folks will throw at an employer (when an employer makes a mistake)

in practice the threat of the law and the risk of a false positive are enough to confer the benefits of the low on everyone.

Edited by fxm88

This is true but since

1.) U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents, and work authorized immigrants look and sound just like non-U.S. citizens, non-lawful permanent residents, or non-work authorized immigrants;

2.) Employers are limited in what they're allowed to ask an employee or how closely they question an employee's documention;

3.) The risks of an anti-discrimination case (when an employer makes a mistake) are much more severe than anything the Immigration folks will throw at an employer (when an employer makes a mistake)

in practice the threat of the law and the risk of a false positive are enough to confer the benefits of the low on everyone.

So what's an employer supposed to do? Not ask about someones immigration status, go ahead and employ them anyway, and then get done by the INS or DHS now for employing an illegal alien?

That just doesn't make sense. Anywhere you'd be able to ask 'are you allowed work in the US?' and ask for the documentation and not go to jail for it. I'm sure the ACLU wouldn't mind either.

That just doesn't make sense. Anywhere you'd be able to ask 'are you allowed work in the US?' and ask for the documentation and not go to jail for it. I'm sure the ACLU wouldn't mind either.
Hey, look, I'm just telling you the way it is. If you don't like it then you can always get Congress to change the law.

Hey, look, I'm just telling you the way it is. If you don't like it then you can always get Congress to change the law.

So why have so many politicians been hounded out of office for hiring an illegal Mexican as a maid? Using your argument, they would have all been able to get off the hook using the line ‘it was illegal for me to ask about her right to work rights in the US’.

Check out this link here. It looks like the national hog farmers have the right advice :o

Under the IRCA, it is an unfair immigration-related employment practice to discriminate against any individual (other than an unauthorized alien) when hiring or discharging an individual because of their national origin.

is it me or when one goes to a chinese, indian or other foreign restaurant in 'farang lands' the people working there is from the respective countries while here in thailand if you go to a italian or other foreign cooking restaurants, other than chinese/thai, the people working there are thais...

Back home (at least in Austin, S.A. and Houston), in just about every single Chinese and Thai restaurant we know, the people in the kitchen making the food are Mexican with Central Americans mixed in for good measure.

:o

The "Thai national" thing doesn't bother me in the least. I am amused at some of the other requirements required; gender-specific, age limitations and even marital status.

Examples: (Bangkok Post 8 October 2005)

Female, age not over 28 years with pleasant personality.

Female, age between 23-35, pleasant personality, self-motivated and aggressive.

I saw one, Thai Female, aged 22- 25, attractive with pleasant personality, must be willing to work unsociable hours, it was for a P.A. !

Back home (at least in Austin, S.A. and Houston), in just about every single Chinese and Thai restaurant we know, the people in the kitchen making the food are Mexican with Central Americans mixed in for good measure.

My wifes cousin works in a Thai restaurant in Texas and married the Chinese chef, she's Thai though. Actually never worked that one out, went to Texas to do a MA, worked as waitress to help pay the bills, graduated, came back to BKK, did a 25K a month job for two months (this was few years ago) and then took off back to Texas to the restaurant, must be love

She probably works in your folk's place Heng :D

she was looker too, I showed some pics from her sisters wedding at the office once and all the Thai blokes wanted an introduction

My wifes cousin works in a Thai restaurant in Texas and married the Chinese chef, she's Thai though. Actually never worked that one out, went to Texas to do a MA, worked as waitress to help pay the bills, graduated, came back to BKK, did a 25K a month job for two months (this was few years ago) and then took off back to Texas to the restaurant, must be love

She probably works in your folk's place Heng :D

she was looker too, I showed some pics from her sisters wedding at the office once and all the Thai blokes wanted an introduction

In the past, the problem with Chinese chefs was that after about X number of years, they knew the entire business and would typically quit to start their own restaurants or other businesses. Thus, later on, some level of job descrimination was required. Shhh, don't tell.

:D

is it me or when one goes to a chinese, indian or other foreign restaurant in 'farang lands'  the people working there is from the respective countries while here in thailand if you go to a italian or other foreign cooking restaurants, other than chinese/thai, the people working there are thais...

Must just be you. :D:o Head chef at most of the decent Italian places are Italian; although I have it on good authority that the place in Thong Lor opposite the police station is a Thai woman who lived in Italy for 20 years or something and makes the best Italian in the city. Ditto for Indian. Ditto Japanese.

Grunts in the kitchen can be from anywhere.... in western countries Asian labour is cheap so often is Asian. in USA maybe Mexican. here Thai, Burmese, Cambodians are cheap.

is it me or when one goes to a chinese, indian or other foreign restaurant in 'farang lands'  the people working there is from the respective countries while here in thailand if you go to a italian or other foreign cooking restaurants, other than chinese/thai, the people working there are thais...

Must just be you. :D:o Head chef at most of the decent Italian places are Italian; although I have it on good authority that the place in Thong Lor opposite the police station is a Thai woman who lived in Italy for 20 years or something and makes the best Italian in the city. Ditto for Indian. Ditto Japanese.

Grunts in the kitchen can be from anywhere.... in western countries Asian labour is cheap so often is Asian. in USA maybe Mexican. here Thai, Burmese, Cambodians are cheap.

geez steve...

you wouldn't want the truth to slip out that it is no harder or easier to get work permit in LOS than anywhere else in the world. What would other posters have to complain about then?

geez steve...

you wouldn't want the truth to slip out that it is no harder or easier to get  work permit in LOS than anywhere else in the world. What would other posters have to complain about then?

Nice one :D:D:D:D

I think we would be left with the endless thread of "how come no one loves us; if they just push me a little bit further "them Thais" are gonna go bankrupt when I take my millions and all my fellow farang go off to the countries which are going ahead not like dis dump"

Sadly, all we ever get are promises; I want to see what happens when four score and twenty unwashed white guys who have been on tourist visas for the last 20 years actually move out; how many points the sharemarket tanks, and how much the GDP of the country drops. Probably 20% drop in each you think?! :o:D:D

Must just be you.  :D  :o  Head chef at most of the decent Italian places are Italian; although I have it on good authority that the place in Thong Lor opposite the police station is a Thai woman who lived in Italy for 20 years or something and makes the best Italian in the city.  Ditto for Indian.  Ditto Japanese.

Grunts in the kitchen can be from anywhere.... in western countries Asian labour is cheap so often is Asian.  in USA maybe Mexican.  here Thai, Burmese, Cambodians are cheap.

Last italian rest. i went they were all thai.

Back in the west, at least they can..while farangs here can't...

Not sure which one that is, but the leading ones are mostly headed up by Italians; Calderazzo; Giannis; Mezzaluna.... but there are a ton of Italian restaurants out there!

Anyway, miss the point of the second bit...what is the at least they can bit? Who and why cannot farangs do that here?> I really am missing something... is this to do with work permits (which are not hard to get for farangs who know what they are doing) or what?

confused :o:D sorry, can you clarify?

Must just be you.  :D  :o  Head chef at most of the decent Italian places are Italian; although I have it on good authority that the place in Thong Lor opposite the police station is a Thai woman who lived in Italy for 20 years or something and makes the best Italian in the city.  Ditto for Indian.  Ditto Japanese.

Grunts in the kitchen can be from anywhere.... in western countries Asian labour is cheap so often is Asian.  in USA maybe Mexican.  here Thai, Burmese, Cambodians are cheap.

Phats mike, it all depends on locale. Steve I beleive is actually talking about quality restuarants.

You should try any of the good places down lang suan. Great places with

Gen-you-ine eye-talians running the place. All the major hotels will have an army of foreign chefs (all with the supposedly impossible to get work permits).

Go to the italian out on the moo-baan or anywhere near a less salubrious area of BKK and you are gonna struggle, especially if it is near the bars.

Samui and Hua Hin are great too. Lots of Italians have settled there.

Other excellent restuarants include Indigo - run by a frenchy last I was there with a French chef. Great steak Tartare.

'Eat me' was run and managed by an Aussie while I was there.

geez steve...

you wouldn't want the truth to slip out that it is no harder or easier to get  work permit in LOS than anywhere else in the world. What would other posters have to complain about then?

Nice one :D:D:D:D

I think we would be left with the endless thread of "how come no one loves us; if they just push me a little bit further "them Thais" are gonna go bankrupt when I take my millions and all my fellow farang go off to the countries which are going ahead not like dis dump"

Sadly, all we ever get are promises; I want to see what happens when four score and twenty unwashed white guys who have been on tourist visas for the last 20 years actually move out; how many points the sharemarket tanks, and how much the GDP of the country drops. Probably 20% drop in each you think?! :o:D:D

The foreign long term tourists really do believe that as you know :D