2012 Ninja 650R- First Look!

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honest question and I'm not being cynical, but how has Kawasaki improved on the new model's suspension? It was pretty basic on previous models, as I have seen a lot of aftermarket suspension fitted: Ohlins YSS etc

edit: I meant to add, that I think the 650 is a great all round platform for having fun on, it just needs some tweaking :)

Edited by Garry

Seat looks much better, looks the same as the 250 but I wonder if it's a bit more padded because passengers on my 250 often complain that the seat is too small and too hard. The rider's seat isn't the most comfortable either but you get used to it.

I'd have thought the 2011 style seat was better suited to sports touring than this style but then I haven't sat on the 2012 yet.

I'm guessing the other changes/improvements are minimal.

I'm guessing they'll do the same with the ER6n?

It's a game of spot the different tail section.

Can you?

Typically lazy, poor work by the Kawasaki design team. rolleyes.gif

250/650 split seat looks great to me, much better than any Honda available in TH.

and easy to remove rear seat to install luggage rack

Kawa's design team:

'Time to redesign the N650.'

'Let's just stick the back of the 250 onto it instead of that horrid seat/bloated plank of wood.'

'Done... donuts and coffee time?'

It's laughable.

Edited by hehehoho

Honest question and I'm not being cynical, but how has Kawasaki improved on the new model's suspension? It was pretty basic on previous models, as I have seen a lot of aftermarket suspension fitted: Ohlins YSS etc

edit: I meant to add, that I think the 650 is a great all round platform for having fun on, it just needs some tweaking :)

The EX650 is Kawasaki's budget sport bike and to keep the price low they've used the most basic of suspension components. That said, for normal road riding it performs better than the sum of its parts which is probably why it's received such good reviews over the years.

I'm not convinced that photo of the 2012 model is genuine... Really looks like it could be a 250R / 650R photoshop to me...

But if the photo is genuine I have to say that at first glance I'm not terribly impressed but I'll wait until I see the bike up close and personal before I pass judgement.

I'm quite curious to know just WHAT the suspension improvements are. I'm imagining Kawasaki may have added pre-load and damping to the front forks and damping to the rear shock which would certainly be welcome upgrades.

Let the Good Times ROLL!

T

I'm not convinced that photo of the 2012 model is genuine..

Concur.

:ph34r:

Ok, ok, I admit I make it...but...I read from a supposed reliable source that the 2012 Ninja 650R will have more torque, better suspension, and a stepped seat, but that is all this source knew. I bet it will end up looking just like this pic. :)

Concur.

Ok, ok, I admit I make it...but...I read from a supposed reliable source that the 2012 Ninja 650R will have more torque, better suspension, and a stepped seat, but that is all this source knew. I bet it will end up looking just like this pic. :)

Good effort :) Let's hope the real one looks like that - looks good.

Scubba, you got too much spare time.. lol..

I wish my 650R had two seats instead of one scooter seat like now..

Why? It's not like you have ever had a pillion rider. Besides, you drive so fast they would just fall off anyway. :lol:

Why? It's not like you have ever had a pillion rider. Besides, you drive so fast they would just fall off anyway. :lol:

MONOPOSTO BABY, monoposto :lol: :jap:

IMG_5722-1.jpg

Oh, and btw, these took less than 5 mins cutting and pasting using MS Paint. No idea how to use Photoshop. :)

• 1 month later...

I've seen alot of rumors on various forums about what will and won't change on the new model.

It seems that a stepped seat, improved suspension and a re-map of the ECU will be the most likely things to change, that's what's been discussed over on the BRP forum for a while now.

HOWEVER, when i went to my local dealership today Kawasaki Real Motorsport (soi 146 Ramkhemheang) the sales guy told me nothing other colour would change...... I was half expecting him to say this as i'm sure he wanted to get shot of the old stock but i wasn't taking any of it.

I'm sure 3 years with no significant changes the 650 is due a facelift of some kind, so i'm going to sit tight.

Silly question now...... When should i expect the 2012 model to arrive, in the next few months or literally in 2012?

Concur.

laugh.gif you've got too much free time, mate! nice work, tho.

Kawi have no competition for their 650s in this market, so the only reason to improve the bike would be that the upgraded bits are already in the parts bins for bikes going to other countries. Lack of upside down forks and rudimentary rear suspension on a sportbike these days is pretty lame.

Concur.

laugh.gif you've got too much free time, mate! nice work, tho.

Kawi have no competition for their 650s in this market, so the only reason to improve the bike would be that the upgraded bits are already in the parts bins for bikes going to other countries. Lack of upside down forks and rudimentary rear suspension on a sportbike these days is pretty lame.

Kawasaki TH went ABS on all ex650 even while some competition at double price in TH still do not offer it

In several other markets ABS is extra on ex650

600k baht bikes without ABS is pretty lame ;)