Non-B Help

Hello,

I am currently on a type O. It has expired, but a recent visa run means I am still allowed to be in Thailand...

Will soon be briefly returning to the US and then coming back to Thailand, and while there will be going to the Thai embassy to get a new visa.

So, my question is:

My situation is that I am not currently working, but would like to find a job when I return to Thailand. It seems if I come in on a tourist visa, I would need to have proof of onward travel.

I think what I want is a multiple entry type B, but it seems that someone holding this is not allowed to work, only "conduct business" with this kind of visa? If I have this type of visa (assuming I am able to get it), would i be able to get a work permit/legally work when I return to Thailand? Also, I have read that it is possible to get this without already having an employer lined up, but with a letter stating that it is your intention to seek employment upon entrance. Can anyone confirm this?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

A non-B is not only for business but also for work. The question is if you will get it without a letter from an employer willing to employ you. That is not very likely.

With a tourist visa you don't need a ticket out of the country and can apply for a WP as well. But you will than have to go abroad to get a non-B visa.

Why did you have a non-O visa? The non-O visa allows you to get a work permit as well. Only not when on an extension of stay based on retirement.

A non-B is not only for business but also for work. The question is if you will get it without a letter from an employer willing to employ you. That is not very likely.

With a tourist visa you don't need a ticket out of the country and can apply for a WP as well. But you will than have to go abroad to get a non-B visa.

Why did you have a non-O visa? The non-O visa allows you to get a work permit as well. Only not when on an extension of stay based on retirement.

Right, so there is no difference in that regard between the multiple entry and the single entry then? Because when reading the website for Thai embassy in USA it seems to say that those entering to work can get single-entry only (and seems to be much stricter in general, requiring a work permit to be already attained, a letter from the apropiate ministry, etc.) whereas those who wish to "conduct business" does not say single-entry only, and the only requirements are:

· Letter from applicant’s company indicating the applicant’s position, length of employment, salary and purpose of visit(s) to Thailand

· Letter of invitation from trading or associated partners/ companies in Thailand

· Corporate documents of associated partners/companies in Thailand

Which leads to another question: What is the difference between 1 and 2? They seem extremely similar?

Thanks for the help

A single entry should be all a person needs if working in Thailand is the thinking; as they are expected to extend there stay on a yearly basis and not need the multi entry provisions. Of course some do not qualify so are relegated to getting a new visa every 3 months but for most it works. For business travel the multi entry is normal (or APEC card for some countries) thus allowing executives to freely travel for the one year period of time.

"but with a letter stating that it is your intention to seek employment upon entrance. Can anyone confirm this?"

You will not get an non-imm B single or multi issued on the basis given above.

You only real option it appears is to state you are exploring business opportunities in Thailand, ie starting up a business in Thailand, but even with this you will require a letter of invitation from a Thai entity, as to whether you get a single or multi depends solely on the embassy concerned...as stated on a non-imm B alone you cannot work.