The Hangover 2' May Already Be Hurting Thailand Tourism

dunkin2012

Movie was OK- fun cameo from mike tyson again, some nice Bangkok shots especially of Sirocco roof top restaurant in State Tower- (great place to take date if you are looking for a shag with a "good girl":D) Overall i think it will be good for tourism.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The OP has a flawed premiss and and seems very closed minded. Who can predict declining tourist figures as it relates to one of the most corrupt countries in the world? With violent crime and fraud of all kinds right up there with Nigeria can anyone really expect a movie to have much affect on the tourism numbers? Even with a raging civil war in the south of Thailand AOT and TOT says were still swimming in ever increasing numbers of tourists.

The atrocities committed everyday here that include beheading, lighting people on fire, rape, simple executions of men women and children in the name of one's God, thousands since record keeping began in 2004, has little or no effect on the tourism numbers. The Thai police even brag that during election season they are watching closely 100 to 200 "hit-men" so violence will be reduced against politicians during this period. One, Why are there no "hit-women" and two, can a comedy set in Thailand really have a negative effect on tourism?

Total BS! Having the countries name out there in an successful, outlandish comedy will remind people we are still here and some will book a trip so see what it's all about.

The situation in the South has no effect on tourism...because it has had no impact on any tourists! Tourists have never been targeted and it has never spilled over into any place a tourist would ever go.

The OP has a flawed premiss and and seems very closed minded. Who can predict declining tourist figures as it relates to one of the most corrupt countries in the world? With violent crime and fraud of all kinds right up there with Nigeria can anyone really expect a movie to have much affect on the tourism numbers? Even with a raging civil war in the south of Thailand AOT and TOT says were still swimming in ever increasing numbers of tourists.

The atrocities committed everyday here that include beheading, lighting people on fire, rape, simple executions of men women and children in the name of one's God, thousands since record keeping began in 2004, has little or no effect on the tourism numbers. The Thai police even brag that during election season they are watching closely 100 to 200 "hit-men" so violence will be reduced against politicians during this period. One, Why are there no "hit-women" and two, can a comedy set in Thailand really have a negative effect on tourism?

Total BS! Having the countries name out there in an successful, outlandish comedy will remind people we are still here and some will book a trip so see what it's all about.

by Richard4849:

The situation in the South has no effect on tourism...because it has had no impact on any tourists! Tourists have never been targeted and it has never spilled over into any place a tourist would ever go.

Really Dick. Tourism is alive and well in the south. Granted it should be labeled extreme tourism but there are several tours touting attractions on the south, especially Hat Yai. Google it. I seem to remember the airport blowing up there a few years back. For obvious reasons it is attractive to Muslims and backpackers.

Yes, really Grant.

What are the tourist numbers again in Yala, Pattani, and Narathiwat? Even Hat Yai is no tourist draw for anyone other than Malaysian men over for a quick bonk.

Tourism in the South mostly means Phuket, Krabi, Samui...and those places have never been affected by any of the separatist activity.

Edited by Richard4849

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You left out nuclear air strikes and poison gas attacks. :whistling:

Not strictly true. 2005 bombing of the Hat Yai International Airport killed 2 and injured 66, 6 of whom were foreign tourists (including 1 French, 1 US). Bombs left in public places are fairly indiscriminate hence the IRA murder of US tourist Kenneth Salvesen in London in 1983 (not great PR in the country that funds and arms your organisation).

The southern states could be major tourist destinations given the natural attractions of the coastlines there, but the Muslim insurgency ensures that tourism is restricted to Malay sex tourism at present. Talk to anyone in the RTA, the war in the south is a big deal but kept pretty quiet.

There has never been any activity in Phuket, Krabi, Phang Nga, or Trang. Not once. Not even a threat.

The incidents in the far South are reported fully in the local press, both Thai and English; there is no cover-up.

So i'm not sure you want to create an issue when there clearly isn't one. Some kind of agenda?

There has never been any activity in Phuket, Krabi, Phang Nga, or Trang. Not once. Not even a threat.

The incidents in the far South are reported fully in the local press, both Thai and English; there is no cover-up.

So i'm not sure you want to create an issue when there clearly isn't one. Some kind of agenda?

Never said there was activity in the places you name. But tourists have been caught up in the insurgency (eg Hat Yai bombings in 2005) and the southern provinces have been ruled our for meaningful tourist development (despite their potential) due to the insurgency. So tourism in Thailand has been impacted.

I never said there was a "cover up" but the government is keen to downplay the insurgency for international consumption in order not to create alarm in the tourist industry (nor does the situation paint the RTA in a very pretty or professional light). A good comparison would be the <deleted> in Mindanao, and how that was handled by the Philippine government.

You seem very quick on the "agenda" accusation, who needs an agenda to debate an issue? Do you?

Then we have to agree to disagree. The provinces in question don't have much going for them, even without the problems. The beaches are nothing special, and the local culture isn't really conducive to the type of fun most fun-in-the sun tourists are looking for. Had Yai is an ugly inland city with virtual no attraction except for providing close access to vice for randy Malaysians.

How many foreign tourists per year do you think Pattani, Yala, and Narathiwat would possibly attract if the problem suddenly went away tomorrow? I mean -- in comparison to the 10 million+ who visit Phuket, Samui, Krabi, etc.? I'm thinking a tiny number.

I stand by my original opinion that the problems in the South have almost no negative effect on Thailand's tourism industry, and nor should they (the incident in Had Yai six years ago is hardly worth mentioning -- that's ancient history in most people's minds).

Then we have to agree to disagree. The provinces in question don't have much going for them, even without the problems. The beaches are nothing special, and the local culture isn't really conducive to the type of fun most fun-in-the sun tourists are looking for. Had Yai is an ugly inland city with virtual no attraction except for providing close access to vice for randy Malaysians.

How many foreign tourists per year do you think Pattani, Yala, and Narathiwat would possibly attract if the problem suddenly went away tomorrow? I mean -- in comparison to the 10 million+ who visit Phuket, Samui, Krabi, etc.? I'm thinking a tiny number.

I stand by my original opinion that the problems in the South have almost no negative effect on Thailand's tourism industry, and nor should they (the incident in Had Yai six years ago is hardly worth mentioning -- that's ancient history in most people's minds).

No problem with an amicable, agenda-free disagreement, it's what makes the world interesting.

Have to say that so-so beaches, less than conducive local culture, ugly towns and lack of attractions have not stopped mass tourism in many parts of the world. Once established mass tourism tends to generate a life of it's own irrespective of the environment. Spanish Costas, Florida, Pattaya all spring to mind, so perhaps mass tourism is not an impossibility for the southern provinces if the politicians pull their finger out and come to an agreement with the insurgents.

Stranger things have happened, I guess.

Have you actually been to Florida? Some of the beaches there are surprisingly beautiful. I was there recently (in the Northwest of the state) and was completely shocked.

Have been lucky/unlucky enough to see much of Florida and while there are parts like Sanibel or Port St Joe in the panhandle that have not yet been ruined, what is sad is that spots like Sarasota and Naples are rapidly going the way of Fort Lauderdale, Daytona, Panama City. Uncontrolled tourism is rarely a pretty sight.

Edited by folium

There are some really beautiful beaches and controlled developments about 20 miles from Panama City. Rosemary Beach, Watercolor, etc. The beaches are stunning, though obviously they're not usable 12 months a year like the ones in the southern Florida are.

That pic is another hype c Western men in pants and long sleeves in Bangkok? C'mon...

Is it just me or does this make no sense at all

many citizens in Bangkok -- the backdrop for much of the movie -- are growing increasingly upset about the image the raunchy comedy portrays of Thailand. Among their complaints is the way Bangkok in particular is depicted, from the gritty, slummy feel of the cinematography to the vulgarity of some boundary-pushing R-rated images.

I suppose that these are the same people that see the "Amazing Thailand" ads from the Tourist Authority of Thailand and say, "Oh, yes. That is the Thailand I know and love."

Do they have any idea how Thailand is perceived overseas?

Huh

I agree Richard needs a break, I suspect he is TAT mole { ; ]

Great post and I love your av tag. And I think the numbers from TAT ARE skewed . er an online publication had article on it , can't post it here.

The OP has a flawed premise and and seems very closed minded. Who can predict declining tourist figures as it relates to one of the most corrupt countries in the world? With violent crime and fraud of all kinds right up there with Nigeria can anyone really expect a movie to have much affect on the tourism numbers? Even with a raging civil war in the south of Thailand AOT and TOT says were still swimming in ever increasing numbers of tourists.

That pic is another hype c Western men in pants and long sleeves in Bangkok? C'mon...

Is it just me or does this make no sense at all

many citizens in Bangkok -- the backdrop for much of the movie -- are growing increasingly upset about the image the raunchy comedy portrays of Thailand. Among their complaints is the way Bangkok in particular is depicted, from the gritty, slummy feel of the cinematography to the vulgarity of some boundary-pushing R-rated images.

I suppose that these are the same people that see the "Amazing Thailand" ads from the Tourist Authority of Thailand and say, "Oh, yes. That is the Thailand I know and love."

Do they have any idea how Thailand is perceived overseas?

Huh

I agree Richard needs a break, I suspect he is TAT mole { ; ]

Not sure what you're referring to...I'm one of the ones who agreed that there was nothing offensive in the movie at all!

I'm no fan of the TAT. What a worthless bunch. If they'd spend less money on producing golden-hued fantasy advertisements and more on cleaning up some of the tourist scams, I'd be all for it.

Now...what were you saying about me being a TAT mole?

Well if Thai's end up being offended by the movie, then someone at the Foreign Ministry should lose their job. It is not easy to film in Thailand, and oversight by Thai officials is strict.

[To be]submitted along with the application form which include:

- Treatment (for documentaries)

- Story board (for commercial photo and films)

- Synopsis, and script either in English and Thai (for film)

- Title, lyrics and detail of production relating to the music (for music videos)

- Final Script

- Shooting Schedule [date and location (s) suggested for filming]

- Itinerary

- List of filming dates and locations, listed on a daily, including government buildings, religious compounds, National Parks, and other venues.

- List of VIP person to be interviewed and details of interviewers

- Name list of crew/position/passport no. of each member of crew

- List of all equipment to used in the shoot, especially military weapons, chemicals, and explosives

- Copy of partnership and company registration, stating purpose of the company

- Copy of commercial registration

- The film script, plot and the film itself should not subvert or affect the traditions, culture, morals, national security, public order , environment, rules and regulations of government agencies or the dignity of Thailand. If a breech is made in any area mentioned above not under Film Board jurisdiction, the Film Board may seek the opinion of the concerned agency(s).

- The film must follow the film script, the plot and details as agreed to by the Film Board.

- The Film Board Secretariat must be notified of any change(s) in advance of implementing the changes.

Please note that filming is not allowed in the absence of a Film Board representative.

The film crew is required to inform the Film Board Representative(s) specific location shoot schedule at least 2 days prior to the date filming

Upon completion of filming, the crew is required to present all film rolls, videocassettes and still pictures to the Film Board Representative(s) to affix signature on the film case and to receive an approval seal authorizing the production was legally completed. I order to take the film out of Thailand, export permit fees must be paid to the Film Censorship Section, Sub-Division 2, Registration Division, Royal Thai Police.

Source:http://www.mfa.go.th/web/833.php

There is no substitute for exposure. Hangover 2 is a huge ruse for Thailand. It is going to be a bumper tourist season 2011/12.

i have a group of 4 friends coming to Bangkok in July after watching Hangover 2 !!! , they would never of thought of coming here, buut now they are, also heard a few other mates are planning to come here in Xmas after watching the movie !

The movie as only been out a few weeks and they say it is hurting tourism..What a load of Crap

Do I sense the ministry of culture getting involved and ordering a crack down on all American movies in Thailand for undermining Thai culture and presenting Thailand in a negative light on the world stage ?.....:whistling: .....they may take sweeping measures like ordering the distribution on 20,000 booklets on the subject....:lol:

So where are we with the "new laws" introduced by the ministry of silly walks...

All foreigners both male and female are prohibited (under the threat of arrest and deportation) from flashing their boobies during Songkran

All Foreigners arriving at airports will be stripped naked to ensure they are not concealing illegal tattoo's on their person

Any foreigner found importing American movies into Thailand will have said offiensive material confiscated and offender will be deported and blacklisted

Welcome to Amazing Thailand....:whistling:

Although I agree with you regarding the ministry of silly.

I would be careful putting America/Thailand up against each other on TV.

;)

Most places in America one is arrested for flashing, no?

Flashing is such a big deal in America that one talk about the festival in new Orleans like Nirvana, in regards to flashng.

Topless sun bathing on the beach is not always allowed in USA?

No need to strip naked anymore in USA as the scanners tooh care of that.

;)

It is a matter of fact that many many many American film projects are trying to re-write the history.

Hmmm, come to think about it the 2 countries start to look awfull alike.

;)

There is no substitute for exposure. Hangover 2 is a huge ruse for Thailand. It is going to be a bumper tourist season 2011/12.

i have a group of 4 friends coming to Bangkok in July after watching Hangover 2 !!! , they would never of thought of coming here, buut now they are, also heard a few other mates are planning to come here in Xmas after watching the movie !

Funny the article writer has no idea how marketing 101 works.