Thai Airways Hand Luggage

xandreu

Hi. I'm flying to Bangkok with Thai airways and I have quite a bit of stuff that I don't want to put in the hold. ie, a couple of laptops, cameras etc. It will all fit in a bag with the right dimensions for hand luggage, but it will probably weigh about 10kg and the Thai Airways site says the limit is 7kg.

Does anyone know how strictly they enforce the weight of hand luggage? And if they tell me it is too heavy, is there anything I can do to avoid having to put stuff in the hold, like pay a little more or something?

Thanks.

Flown Thai airways dozens of times (some would say a glutton for punishment!). Never had carry-on weighed but I admit I haven't been with Thai out of Manila.

Are you aware that a computer bag is not weighed and is additional to your 7kg? Get a large laptop bag and carry both of your laptops, books and any other small heavies in this. Quite above board.

I flown out of Manila on TG dozens of times, and I've never once been weighed or challenged about carry-on weight. Up until about four years ago, they did search all carry-on bags at the gate, but even then there was never any question about weight. That said, Manila Terminal 1 is indeed a complete nightmare.

I've found that Thai (economy or business} is very accommodating regarding carry-ons. As tw25rw above said "they are good like that." That is in contrast to AirAsia who use every means possible to squeeze a bit more money out of you, to the point where that cheap ticket you bought eventually ends up costing you more than a ticket on Thai, but you still have to suffer through an AirAsia flight.

Thanks Andrew55. I wasn't aware of that, although I can't see anything on their website which states that? I'll call them just to confirm if this is still the case.

Even where there is strict carry-on weighing such as Singapore's budget terminal computer bag is separate. Seen paxs weigh at 8 kgs and the attendant will ask if they can move a kilo to their laptop bag.

I believe the 7kg per item rule is set by aviation authorities for safety reasons.

What did they say when you called? Or are you still on queue?

Just checked Thai's website. Go to terms and conditions from their homepage. Sorry I don't know how do give a link. I'm not very computer savvy despite my always sporting a large laptop bag...

wink.gif

Your right andrew55 -

In addition to the carry on item as above, following items are also allowed to be carried into the cabin without additional charges: 1.small handbag/pocket/purse provided that it has a maximum length 37.5 cm (15 inches), width 25 cm (10 inches), depth 12.5 cm (5 inches), or the sum of the three dimension not exceeding 75 cm (30 inches), and the overall weight not exceeding 1.5 kg. (3.3 lb). Such item includes computer notebook.

Although it does state that the computer bag shouldn't weigh more than 1.5kg? What computer did they have in mind when they wrote this? A piece of paper and an abacus?

From the responses it seems I won't have anything to worry about anyway so thanks for the help guys :)

:whistling:

How much hand baggage ANY airline will allow you to bring depends on the following:

1. The number of passengers on that flight.

2. How long the flight is (i.e. the distance of the flight)

3. The number of checked bags on that flight (when you check in the wieght of your baggage is fed into a computer which keeps track of the total wieght of passenger's checked baggage)

4, The IATA mandated fuel safety minimum when the aircraf arrives at it's destination

All of these affect the ammount of baggage you are alowed to carry onto the plane (the total wieght).

They all affect the carry-on baggage limit this way:

1. The number of passengers...the airline uses an average wieght of each passenger (they have a table of statistics). Obviously more passengers equal more wieght.

2. How long the flight is...obviously the longer the flight(s) before you arrive at you final destination...the more fuel that is used.

3. The number of checked bags...again more bags mean more wieght...and more fuel required.

4. And critically...the IATA mandated fuel safety requirement at arrival at the destination of that flight. Just as an example, if you are flying into Bangkok during the rainy season, and thunderstorms are likely to force the aircraft to circle around the airport until it is safe to land, the IATA flight safety regulations MANDATE that the aircraft must have a certain minimum of fuel on arrival at the destination to allow that aircraft to stay in a "hold" pattern until it is safe to land. Violating this rule means the ailines can be fined heavily if it is determined to be a deliberate violation.

So all those things and probably more affect how much carry-on wieght and how many carry-on items you can bring on to your flight. For that reason, there is no hard and fast answer on exctly how much carry-on baggage you are allowed.

But to answer your other question...if you as the traveler exceed what the airline knows is the total wieght per passenger limit for that particular flight, you will have to pay for EXCESS BAGGAGE for that cary-on luggage. (There is a "fudge factor" built into the calculations for safety also.)

So if you are a smart traveler you bring only the items absolutely required, not all those items you think it might be nice to have, in your luggage...both check-in and carry-on luggage. Especially on long-haul flights where the passenger plus wieght load is likely to be high.

Otherwise be prepared to pay for "excess baggage" or in extreme cases be ready to leave some of your baggage behind.

The airlines don't do this just to inconvienence you it is MANDATED by IATA for flight safety reasons.

There isn't and airline in the world that doesn't care abuot one of their planes crashing due to not having enough fuel and 2 or 3 hundred passengers being killed. If nothing else, it would be a public relations disaster for the airline.

:rolleyes:

Edited by IMA_FARANG

I fly with Thai Airways every month, PERTH - BKK & return. I have never had any issues with carry on luggage.

I carry a "laptop" bag which is a trolly type which I carry 2 x DLSR's, 5 x lenses & a laptop + various accessories. This all comes to about 13+ KG, because this is a "laptop" bag the staff in both AUS or BKK have never weighed this bag.

I also carry a small duffel bag onboard which consists of my total luggage for the trip which does weigh around 7 kg & they do weigh this.

As some other members have posted get a large "laptop" bag & stuff it full, they never weigh this & do not class it as part of your carry on luggage allowance.